Find
Notify
Tools

Long Lee Firing Pin Needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DHSinger
posted
Putting together a faux Lee Speed. I have the Long Lee bolt body and safety. Need the firing pin.

Posts: 38 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 31 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
A very rewarding style to work with and use. I have done quite a few in 303 but one in 375-303 and another in 40 cal. Are you going from the blank which I prefer to do.
This is the one I am just doing the oil finish on at the moment.

http://britishmilitariaforums....ed-cure#.VXtsP-kVjIU

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2681 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DHSinger
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply. The rifle I am using is a former Santa Fe Arms "Jungle Carbine". Which is to say, a hodge podge of No1 MkIII and No4 parts. The barrel was cut down and, it came to me with the military stock minus a piece of the fore arm which had been shortened. It originally belonged to my father-in-law who probably bought it at a surplus store for next to nothing.

I've used it as a test bed for a number of projects. It's been refinished with Aluma-Hyde, restocked and, a Williams rear sight mounted.

As it was my first made from scratch stock, I couldn't bring myself to lay out the money for a nice piece of walnut. Blanks were made up from laminated hard maple. The end result is a bit bulky but, serviceable.

I congratulate you on your clever solution for drilling the hole in the butt. Wish I'd thought of that.

So, now, I'm trying to get rid of the ugly side mounted safety by converting to the Lee-Metford cocking piece and discovered the old MkIII firing pin wont work.

Posts: 38 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 31 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's just longer to accommodate the longer cocking piece with safety, right?

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DHSinger
posted Hide Post
That seems to be the only difference. I do have a small hobby lathe and, I suppose if push comes to shove, I could fabricate one. Not sure what I would do about the threads. They're probably Whitworth or something else I can't duplicate.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Cut it in two and weld a piece to make it longer. I would do that. Or make a new one.
When I make the one piece stock, Sharps-Lee, I weld up the old safety hole and just use an early #1 cocking piece with the tabs on the end, and use the half cock in it that no one knows is there because it has no purpose. Of course, the Metford safety is far more classy.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DHSinger
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a practical solution.