THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SPORTERIZED MILITARY RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Sporterized Military Rifles    What can you tell me about Century Arms sporters?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can you tell me about Century Arms sporters?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found a basically NOS (I guess) sporter today in 7.62X39 built by Century Arms on a 95 action. It was in a checkered wood stock and the bluing was worn on the barrel from being in the rack for so long. The store owner seemed very disappointed in it when I asked him about it, said he thought it was something different when he ordered it. I like the odd stuff so I was interested, I told him I wanted to do a little research on the rifle first.

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
I love the one I built on a 95 action, low recoil, cheep to shoot light weight, and quick to get on target. One thing you should find out is if it has a .308 bore or .311, neither is a problem, as long as you know what it is when selecting bullets and dies if you are reloading.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures, fellas? I do like a '95.

If the Century is not going for too much I'd grab it.

How long ago did they market these?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
The one I built can be seen here.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1019521/m/5071002441

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great little rifle you have. I'd still like to know more about the Century sported rifles. I'd like to know how good the work and materials used were. They either duplicated the original barrel contour or rebarreled it, I'm guessing the former.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
Great little rifle you have. I'd still like to know more about the Century sported rifles. I'd like to know how good the work and materials used were. They either duplicated the original barrel contour or rebarreled it, I'm guessing the former.

Unless the barrel is stepped, like a military, then it has a tapered aftermarket barrel. If my memory is correct they used a low-end barrel. My assessment of Century's gunsmith skills of that time (15 years ago) were fair at best. That being said, I have a friend who bought a .30-06 Century sporter built on a pitted VZ24 action that punched a .5 in 100yd cloverleaf with the first three rounds. IRMV.

Bob

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are at least two steps in the barrel. I just don't know if I want to invest in another small ring. I have a 93 in 300 Savage and a Kimber of OR M96 sported.

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Mine is 308 bore, converted to cock on open, shoots under an inch @ 100 yards, it's a nice lite quick handling rifle, and I'm wanting to use it to play around with some accelerators, for Coyotes and Prairie Dogs. When I started it the surplus ammo was cheap, and when I finished it 5 years later, it wasn't, but it's still a fun little rifle to shoot.