THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SPORTERIZED MILITARY RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Sporterized Military Rifles    DANG! My Dad's Krag is all Covered With Rust

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DANG! My Dad's Krag is all Covered With Rust
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted

Now what?

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If it's surface rust, you might be able to get it off with Scotch-Brite pads and WD-40.

Was it in the white?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old IMHO the redish brown color is not objectionable. keep it oiled down with a nylon or silk rag and put it back together.. tu2 roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
If it's surface rust, you might be able to get it off with Scotch-Brite pads and WD-40.

Was it in the white?

George

How about I boil it in a water tank and card off the surface.

quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
old IMHO the redish brown color is not objectionable. keep it oiled down with a nylon or silk rag and put it back together.. tu2 roger beer

Once it gets dark enough gray/blue, I am going to try leaving the last application brown and card it without boiling it. I may even repeat that. I left the striker/extractor/safety as is because I didn't want to boil them. They have a very dark brown patina that I want to replicate.

I had to blue it due to the original patina getting removed in places when I restocked it and welded up the rear sight base holes.

Note the trigger guard, buttplate & rear portion of the barrel.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Came in late to this, but Rust Blue would have been my suggestion as well.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CLP and fine steel wool is the place to start. Brush the bore.

Once that’s done, you can assess the damage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lockingblock:

The rust is intentional. It's a rust bluing job.

The bore is fine. It'shoots about as well as I can hold with iron sights.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
What are you restocking it with?

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
What are you restocking it with?

Several years back, I was looking through the dimly lit "back room" of a local rural gun shop when I spied the unmistakable inletting profile of a Krag stock. It was a semi inletted Black Walnut Bishop stock in the 1970s style with a bit of nice figure in the butt. It had a Monte Carlo comb and cheek piece, and white line spacers on the buttplate and grip cap. It had some minor checks in the butt, but for $15, I snapped it up.

It had lots of extra material and when I laid the old stock over it, I saw that I could remove the pistol grip and comb to replicate the outline of the original "sporterized" military stock. A few quick passes on my belt sander and the offending parts were removed. The only evidence of the Monte Carlo shape was the last vestige of the hole for the grip cap screw which I filled with Accraglas.

I wanted to replicate the original circa 1920-1930 stock that was badly cracked and butchered when I "refinished" it in my late teens. Unlike most of the CMP style sporterized Krags of that era, this particular specimen no longer had the barrel band. It had a threaded lug dovetailed into the bottom of the barrel for a fore-end screw and the fore-end was done in a pseudo Schnabel tip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The bad news is; I couldn't get the brown hue I was looking for by skipping the boiling step

The good news is; The blue came out pretty well. The blue isn't high gloss and it blends well with the rest of the unpolished metal work.

Since I wasn't going for a "brand new look", I avoided polishing parts that still had an even patina. The magazine door and all of the bolt parts except the bolt handle were left as is and rust blued over the existing patina.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking refinish job.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle,very nicely finished and good shooting tu2 jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id like to own it, I have always liked the old Krag, its just neat!! I was going to tell you to cord it on a fine tooth wheel, and boil it as its in a fine stage of rust to rust blue or brown..oiled and corded would be a nice brown..I like Browned guns when its done right. All I see these days is browned muzzle loaders and the done improperly, A browned gun is a almost a blue gun with brown highlights and its plumb purty....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Id like to own it, I have always liked the old Krag, its just neat!! I was going to tell you to cord it on a fine tooth wheel, and boil it as its in a fine stage of rust to rust blue or brown..oiled and corded would be a nice brown..I like Browned guns when its done right. All I see these days is browned muzzle loaders and the done improperly, A browned gun is a almost a blue gun with brown highlights and its plumb purty....

I tried carding it W/O boiling and could not get the color I wanted so I started boiling between cycles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As nice as it turned out, you didn't do it
wrong that's for sure. Nice job.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope you done good! tu2 but I would work on that schanble it needs more shape and trim..not a hard job, get a savage 99 forend and copy it..If you ever want to sell it, please give me first shot at it. Id love to stick one of those old 220 gr. bullets with lots of lead exposed in an elk or even a deer..One day I will do just that..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nope you done good! tu2 but I would work on that schanble it needs more shape and trim..not a hard job, get a savage 99 forend and copy it..If you ever want to sell it, please give me first shot at it. Id love to stick one of those old 220 gr. bullets with lots of lead exposed in an elk or even a deer..One day I will do just that..

The schnable was done as it was to duplicate the original (1930s?)"sporterized" stock that was on the gun in 1958 when my Dad bought it.

The only deviation from the original sporterized rendition was the Pacific K-2 sight. I could not see the issue GI sights in any but the very best light conditions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you ever want to sell it, please give me first shot at it. Id love to stick one of those old 220 gr. bullets with lots of lead exposed in an elk or even a deer..One day I will do just that..

I don't think my son would stand for me selling his Poppie's Krag. I wasn't even allowed to hunt with it when I first got it restocked until after he killed a buck with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Wildcat junkie, Did you kill that nice buck with the 160 FXT load you show the target of?

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Dean:
Hey Wildcat junkie, Did you kill that nice buck with the 160 FXT load you show the target of?

Yep, but I have since gone to the "FTX" (FXT was incorrect on the target) for the 308 Marlin Express. The 30/30 bullet was too fragile. Hornady confirmed I was pushing it too fast. It disintegrated when it hit the neck vertebrae. Dropped him in his tracks, but that was at 120 paces. A close in shoulder hit might not have ended so well.

My Mv is right at 308 ME performance envelope. The longer 160 gr FTX 308 ME bullet seats deeper and actually pushed Mv up a bit from the load listed on the target.

30/30 160 gr FTX

308 Marlin Express 160 gr FTX

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a Krag that I built into a "Scout" configuration. Forward mount scope,22" bbl.cut + crowned,took all the steel + wood weight down to nothing,then built a trigger w/ 0 overtravel + about 1 1/2 bs. pull wgt. Completely broke it apart + jeweled every internal surface.Did'nt spend much time on the exterior but the guts are Rolls Royce.It is on beyond slick. I use the 220 G. Sierras.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have the slickest action of any bolt gun produced as far as I remember..love the old Krags when they have been sporterized..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They have the slickest action of any bolt gun produced as far as I remember..love the old Krags when they have been sporterized..

They have a distinct sound when someone is working the action in the woods near you. I remember my dad working the bolt while shooting a buck just to my left over a rise about 40yds from me on the opening day of the 1967 Pennsylvania deer season.

He made 2 ultimately fatal shots as the buck ran across a 50' opening from behind his left shoulder.

The action is so smooth and easy to work that when shooting from the bench. after opening the bolt with my right hand, I routinely catch the empty case in the same hand as it is ejected.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine being set up in the scout mode + that superior slick action took 3 deer out of my orchard in less time than it takes to write this.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed a big mule deer many many years ago and a nice bull elk, both with the 220 gr. bullet of one make or another?? Was my Uncles gun..It killed them pronto..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:

... and if it gets to the patina of that old garden-gate hold point or well-rubbed manhole cover, it might be plum purty.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,when you get down here in visiting your son,you need to come by my shop.There is cold beer in the shop fridge.I would like you to see my Krag that looks rough on the outside but jewelled as a Swiss watch internally.Tooting my own horn,I used to do very good work when I could see better.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
quote:

Very nice. What kind of express blue did you use?

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
quote:

Very nice. What kind of express blue did you use?

Brownells "Classic Rust Blue".