Find
Notify
Tools

1884 trapdoor rebuild
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted
This is still in the works so try not to laugh and point too much. 1884 action and lock from my grampas gun. Green mountain tapered barrel, trigger gaurd and sights from a T/C Renegade, the stock I wittled from a 4"x10"x4' piece of straight grain walnut and the butt plate is a chunk of stainless steel plate. the wood requires final sanding. it's still pretty rough but shoots very nice. The metal finish has not been decided on yet, the action and lock is original and the barrel is rustolium flat black for now. I am leaning to duracoat brown but have yet to make the final decsision.

Loading with 2F black and 500 gr bullets from lee mold, I cut disks from tablet backing with 7/16" hole punch. the lube is home made from soy wax and crisco and lanolin.... I think. Remingtom brass and 215 rifle primers.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks good. I'd like to see larger pictures.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Gunsmith named Gemmer made/re-worked trap doors and fixed them along the lines of a Hawken Half Stock rifle.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old Looks like a great fun project to me! beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there's an "officers model" in a case at my F-I-L's gun club; checkered, etc. yours puts me to mind of it. nice piece.

we need larger pics, I'm intriquedSmiler

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to post a bigger pic but it just aint cooperatin. So you get what you get and thats it.

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

quote:
So you get what you get and thats it
puh-leez...

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it! very cool

Posts: 97 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 06 February 2009Reply With Quote