One of Us
posted
I had fun building this one
. Fiber glass stock from Brownells,Parkerized, 22 inch barrel. Bushnell red dot

Posts: 74 | Location: out west | Registered: 20 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Still in .303 Brit? Or have you changed to .45-70?

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can try and source some of the heavier weight bullets for this. Not only the standard 174/180 grain of the Mark VII loading but also the 215 grain bullet of the earlier Mark IV and most sporting double .303s and Lee-Speed sporters.

But...be aware that Speer's old stand by the 180 grain ROUND NOSE drops like a stone after 100 yards! It might hit like a brick when it connects but it has the ballistic co-efficient of one too!

Good Luck! Thanks for posting the pictures.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be useing the Barnes .311 TSX 150 gr. bullet. I don't think Barnes makes this bullet any longer. 50 bullets will last me a while.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool! tu2 tu2 tu2

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That'll work! If I still had all my old Corbin swaging stuff, I could have made you some nice 225s. Deep divers!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BRUTAL!! Cool tu2 tu2

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Very nice. 303 is a good round.

Andy

Posts: 9 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The longest shot will probably make is a 100 yards or less. Bullet selection is pretty poor IMO. I would love to find a bullet in the 200 grain range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done. What mount are you using for your red dot. I haven't seen one like it.

I have a sported Enfield that I enjoy shooting quite a bit. I cast bullets for it and they shoot very well. They weigh approx. 210grs with lube and gas check. I haven't hunted anything with this rifle or bullets so I don't know what their on game performance is like.

For jacketed bullets in the 200gr range look at the Woodleigh 215gr bullet. I have wanted to try them out in my rifles but haven't ever gotten around to buying them.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im not sure what the mount is. I bought off ebay,did not cost much and they have more. I ended up cutting in down. Originally it went all the way from the rear sight to the start of the barrel. I only left it long enough for the Red Dot Im useing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neat rifle.

Posts: 34 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 18 March 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You could take a look at the offerings at hawkbullets.com. No 200 grain, but 215 grain bullets in two configurations are offered.

When the relocation to Missouri is completed sometime next year I would like to try some of those in my commercial Mauser, though it is proofed for the 174 grain load.

Posts: 1 | Location: NE Nevada for awhile yet | Registered: 11 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Neat looking rifle. Good to see an old warhorse finding new work.

Mike

Posts: 21207 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very fine looking rifle. Someday I hope to do my rifle like that....

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
Very nice! My kind of gun.

What does she weigh?

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
One thing can make it better; put a barrel with a hole in it starting with a "4".

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
One thing can make it better; put a barrel with a hole in it starting with a "4".

I have just done that on a BSA Commercial action. Running a 405 case shortened to 2.410 and have a 320gn cast bullet loaded to a COAL of 3.052 and the mag takes 5 down.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Now you are talking. Next step; put it on a one piece stock. (Cut the butt socket off)

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Now you are talking. Next step; put it on a one piece stock. (Cut the butt socket off)

I had thought about doing that for some time to a lee Enfield action, but having seen a few now, I think it takes away much of the visual appeal, at least for me. I have been stocking a few lately in the Lee Speed styled sporting stock. I do re-shape the top of the wrist socket to conform to the slim styled stock I prefer though

This is my 400 Lee Speed with ebony accents. (and you might recognise the barrel although I filled the dovetail cutouts and lengthened the chamber)

Stepping down to a plain Jane 375-303 I did for a friend.

And smaller again for my own 303 with buff horn cap and tip. This really is how I like them

Von Gruff.

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I thought it might be appropriate to show them as the "pair" they are intended to be with their ammo and the knives I made.
The 303 with steel butt plate and buff horn accents has a 22 in barrel and is matched with 10 rounds and a knife with copper pins in the walnut handle and hidden pins in the ebony bolsters.Rifle weighs 7 1/2 lb
The 400 also has a steel butt plate and with its ebony accents has a 25 1/2 in barrel.With it are its 6 rounds and its knife having African blackwood handles pined and bolstered in knickle silver. rifle weight is also 7 1/2 lbs

Von Gruff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice pig killers.

I shoot 220s in my 1903 30-06 scout rifle for pigs in the brush.

I have yet to have a pig complain about getting shot with one. dancing

Because they are dead Big Grin

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
It just so happens thatI had made a start on a Mk lll action to do just that for a 35-303 but put it aside in favour of the L S style. No doubt the challenge will gte to me sooner or later and it will get the socket sorted out and continue on from there.

Von Gruff.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Von Gruff:

Do you have a Lee Speed stock pattern that you use or are you making each stock from the block?

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3814 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
Von Gruff:

Do you have a Lee Speed stock pattern that you use or are you making each stock from the block?

Dave

I have been able to see and handle a few Lee Speeds and while there are subtle differences between them I made my pattern from a compromise of two or three of them. All the ones I do start from a blank.

This was the 400 and the 375 in the early stagesand with both I was able to inlet the actions before the barrels were fitted.

Von Gruff.

posted Hide Post
could have saved you some work

Posts: 14 | Location: missouri | Registered: 27 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Von Gruff: do all your L.E.#4s wear iron sights? - or do you install mounts and scope them?

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I haven't been doing the #4. All mine to date have been on the long Lee of pre 1904 but they have all been iron sighted either express (1 fixed and 2 folding) or aperture sighted. More than sufficient for out to 200yds

Von Gruff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice work on these Von Gruff!

"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet. But have a plan on how to kill them." From an old Marine.

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote