New
Find
Notify
Tools

98 Mauser in 243
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After much hair pulling my 98 Mauser is shooting fine. Actualy it fired great from the start. It just did not feed at all. I worked for some time to get the action to put the round in the chamber. The gun smith called to say it was ready. I asked what he did. He said he polished the throat. I need to ask, how this is done.
Thanks

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he's referring to/calling the feed ramp the throat. The throat is the area between the actual chamber and the beginning of the rifling, and has nothing to do with feeding.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've also found the best way to get a M98 to handle a 243, 260 etc is to put a spacer in the rear of the box moving the loaded round forward.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Find a new gunsmith if he told you that, regardless of what he meant. 308 based ammo sometimes does not feed perfectly from Mausers, whose feed rails are optimized for a more tapered case; the 8x57 Mauser. When they were converted to 308 buy the Israelis, they used a spacer at the rear of the mag which helps.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote