One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
What's zitt. No 5?

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Looks from here like a sportered No. 4 Mk. 1. What does the left side of the receiver look like?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I'll get better pic; No4 Mk 1 not 3. The sight is marked MK III

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And it was rebuilt in 1947 by Fazakerly. FTR means Factory Thorough Repair. They are the ones that probably cut it down and put the recoil pad on it.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Tom, I didn't know Fazakerly actually sportered Enfields -- thought they just rebuilt them to pattern room/List of Changes condition. The No. 4 Mk. 1 had the best sights and stiffest barrel of the Enfields and makes a capable hunting rifle.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Parker Hale sporters. Started out as a Long Branch #4MKI*. They cut the barrel down to about 22", installed a ramp front sight which takes the standard #4 military front sight blades, they also cut down the forestock, and left the standard military rear sight.Has a 2 groove barrel and seriously thinking about sending it to JES and having it rebored to .375. Cast my own bullets so that won't be a problem. The cartridge is the 37 Rimmed which is nothing more than the .303 British necked up to .375 and no other changes.
Should be fun to shoot. Frank

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That was a joke; sorry. Bubba butchered that Enfield.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Tom, I was "took in" by your post, and fully admit it.

hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Bill, now I feel bad that it was you that took the bait. But I know you know better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar rifle, except not operated on by a Bubba. It had a new 5 groove BSA barrel and the 1 MOA flip-up sight with adjustment screw. Would hold under 2 MOA with the 185 gr. Lee cast bullet and 15-16 gr. of 4759. Sold it because I had 2 03A3's that shot better, but a good accurate rifle!

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Tom, no worries, my friend. I should have known better. I used to even have Skennerton's big book on the Enfields, so absolutely no excuse.

hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yep; I got my first #4 in 1966; when you could just order guns directly through the mail. Cost $24, which was a fortune for a high school kid.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Parker Hale I think did a bunch of conversions on the #4 platform as well as the pattern 14 enfield in 303 british. Then again Santa Fe arms did a bunch of conversions on the enfields both pattern 14 and 1917, and I believe both the 1903 and 1903A3 Springfields. Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yep; I got my first #4 in 1966; when you could just order guns directly through the mail. Cost $24, which was a fortune for a high school kid.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

$24.00 in 1966 equal to $178.78 today. Shows you how much fiat money has been printed in this country. That would be a fortune today for a high school kid unless he had rich parents.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I made the money by cutting grass and plowing gardens, and at 3 to 5 dollars a job, it didn't take long to save. Bought a Winchester 94, pre 64 the same year, for $60 but my father paid half. It is hard to equate then and now on money value. It didn't seem like $178 does now. Maybe it was.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Marines got me a No 4 when I got out. They were going for $135 at Rose's department store in 1995. I was shocked/touched they would spend over $100 on a going away gift. The calculator says that's like almost $500 now. I don't know. Hard to compare.

Shot it about 2 weeks ago. Still very accurate. My most accurate Milsurp, though rivaled by a Finnish Mosin Nagant.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote