THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SPORTERIZED MILITARY RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Sporterized Military Rifles    Picked up another Arisaka today and have some ???

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up another Arisaka today and have some ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a arisaka that has been drilled and tapped (scope bases missing) in a bishops stock that has been converted to 30/06. I cant tell if it has the original barrel or not. But 30/06 is stamped on top of the barrel. My question is ...was converting these to 06 a fairly common occurence?? If this has the original barrel how will 30/06 shoot in a .311 bore??? I cant take any pics as I am setting at the hospital with my dad and the rifle is in my truck. I am thinking if it shoots good I may duracoat it stainless looking and refinish the stock in matte finish...the bishop stock looks like it has some potential. Thanks Robbie

Posts: 79 | Location: Texarkana, Ar  | Registered: 16 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornYou won't know how that individual rifle shots with .308 bullets until you try it. You can get a .002" larger expander and use .311 bullets if that really is the groove dia. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I know of someone that has one in the original 7.7X58 chambering and they use .308 jacketed bullets in it.

Apparently Arisakas are like Enfields, the bore diameter varies greatly.

I know someone else that bought a Type 99 cheap (it was nicely sporterized) because the shop that had it could NOT figure out the chambering.

Thinking he knew more than the average bear, he thought he knew what the rechamer was so he bought it. He has never found a piece of brass that chambers and he has been too lazy to make a chamber cast.

Old gunsmiths did interesting things and this is a really nice job of converting a military work horse.Maybe a good project for this afternoon.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Month or so ago a gent showed up at range to shoot for first time, a scoped type 99 Arisaka 7.7 Jap that had been rechambered to 30-06. Rifle still had military 7.7 barrel. He will proceed to shoot 1/2" or so 100 yard groups with it using factory Remington 30-06 ammo.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am hoping that is what this one does!!! I got to look at it better this evening...I think I am going to dura coat the barrel and action and slim the stock up some...it feels kinda thick!! I googled arisakas chambered in 30/06 and some of the stuff will that people have posted will scare you... I dont think people would have done so many of them back in the day if it was as dangerous as some of those people make it sound! The guy I got this one from said he shot it and other than kicking pretty good it shot ok.

Posts: 79 | Location: Texarkana, Ar  | Registered: 16 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If one just ran a 30-06 reamer into a 7.7 Arisaka chamber I can see some danger and that would be because the 7.7 is a fatter cartridge then the 06 and with high pressure loads it could be possible to rupture the case. Many will also say this of forming 06 brass to 7.7. On the other hand being the 06 bullet diameter is much smaller then the 7.7 the pressure would be less. Setting the barrel back and then using a 06 reamer would be the better way to go as long as you set it back enough for the reamer to clean up all of what was left of the 7.7. chamber.

Arisakas are brute strong. Remember that P.O. Ackley ran an 06 reamer in a 6.5 Arisaka and fired 30-06 ammo out of it with no problems. Please don't try this as he was testing the strength of the action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just talked to my gunsmith and he is going to set the barrel back and chamber it to 30-06. I have a plan for this rifle...I am going to thin the bishop stock up some and dura coat the metal work,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UPDATE!!!I dropped by my gunsmith and left the arisaka with him and we came up with a plan...we put a borescope in the barrel and we couldnt see any riflings...alot of pitting and rust! He gave me a brand new 25/06 barrel off a Ruger (stainless) and he is going to fit it to my action...while he has it apart we are going to bead blast the action and have it matte blued. This is going to turn out to be a nice rifle... I hope!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Min 7.7 brass is smaller them max 06 brass I shoot7.7 brass made from max mil 06 brass in mine with out trouble.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Min 7.7 brass is smaller them max 06 brass I shoot7.7 brass made from max mil 06 brass in mine with out trouble.

p dog explain that to me. So mil 06 is fatter? The only way that could be is to fire it in an oversized chamber and the web still isn't going to expand.

I've shot quite a few 7.7 and my one friend had one that was arsenal rebuilt and never fired that we had a hard time sizing down 06 to fit his chamber. Even then it wasn't the webb area that was tight. All that I've fired leave the visible expanded case body ahead of the solid web when using 06 brass and yes I use mil 06.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

p dog explain that to me. So mil 06 is fatter? The only way that could be is to fire it in an oversized chamber and the web still isn't going to expand.

I've shot quite a few 7.7 and my one friend had one that was arsenal rebuilt and never fired that we had a hard time sizing down 06 to fit his chamber. Even then it wasn't the webb area that was tight. All that I've fired leave the visible expanded case body ahead of the solid web when using 06 brass and yes I use mil 06.

AS with most manufactureing there are max and min specs. I took the max ones to use in my Arisaka.

What I did was sort out the 06 brass for the largest base dia ones. I wouldn't say they all them are fatter but I was able to sort enough out that are.

Maybe my rifle has a min spec chamber I have had no trouble using the larger 06 brass I mine.

If one had a rifle with a max spec chamber and small dia bases you could see some problems.

Using 06 cases will not work in all 7.7 rifles but it doses in enough to make it worth while trying.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks...that explains it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats one thing nice about this forum we all have differant exspearances. And can learn things form other forum members

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an Arisaka (7.7) with a perfect bore....want to sell it....mum partially obscured.....can you suggest values?? I know that 30 years ago, you couldn't get 10 dollars for one. I can send pics.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Alex

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just saw a mint 6.5 had crest and dust cover go at the last months gun show go for 175.00 guy was happy he found it.

any where from 75 to 250 depending

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks!

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote