Find
Notify
Tools

Finished my Mexican Mauser Sporter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jshoney
posted
Purchased this matching numbers action/stepped military barrel in 7x57, jeweled bolt, nicely blued and bedded with a Lyman sight. Added a barrel band, Timney trigger and the English recoil pad. Refinished the stock and just put it all back together. I've wanted one of these 1936 actions for a long time.

Posts: 146 | Location: Walburg, TX | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Nice!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well done. Any self-respecting whitetail would be proud to fall to that little gem.

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
That is rifle to be very pleased with in all respects.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2681 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
well done!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed. Congratulations.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
I also found what seems to be a nice Mexican Mauser conversion, I think this one is a 1915 model, but don't quote me on that as I do not know much about them.

When I got it, all that had been done was a rebarrel with an E R Shaw barrel in 7x57 and the stock. The nice wood is what is caught my eye, I have seen better work but it's still nice. The wood at the front of the magazine is extremely proud of the metal, the forearm should have been tapered a bit and made slimmer for a better fit. I thought about slimming it down a bit but I don't know the location of any dowels if any connecting the rosewood forearm tip, so decided to leave well enough alone. I like the hand filling fatness of the forearm as is. I took it down to my local smith and had a Timnney trigger installed and a one piece pictnanny rail replaced with two piece scope mounts to use with Warne QD rings.

It's been so hot here I have not had a chance to shoot it

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Very nice + the DIY factor really means a lot.Congrats on a fine piece.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get all tied up with nostalgia with the Mauser 36 and that Springfield cocking piece,always wanted one..Ive had several acions over the years and sold them, why I didn't build a sporter with them I have no clue, guess I thought they would be around forever..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I thought about having it checkered but decided to leave it bare. I would have liked the pistol grip to have been a little shorter and not so sharp a curve, maybe more like a POW curve, but it's just to pretty to go fooling around with as it is.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkingrph:
Thanks, I thought about having it checkered but decided to leave it bare. I would have liked the pistol grip to have been a little shorter and not so sharp a curve, maybe more like a POW curve, but it's just to pretty to go fooling around with as it is.

old AMEN beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote