New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 03A3
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My dad just gave me his dad's rifle. It's a Rem 03A3. My granddads brother sporterized it for him, making a left handed stock, I'm assuming replacing or bending the bolt handle, and installing a low swing safety. It has no iron sights.

I'm planning to restock it and do some other work to make it my go-to light rifle. I shot it quite a bit when I was younger and it is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever shot.

I am not all that familiar with these rifles and have some questions:

1. Where the front sight was, there is a sort of key way with two slots milled in what appears to be a steel band. Assuming the original sight attached to these milled slots and keyway? Is the steel band permenantly attached to the barrel? Can it be drifted off?

2. The trigger is really long like a two stage trigger. Is this normal and can they be worked into a better trigger?

3. What options are there for 3 position safeties? And do they retain the cocking knob?

4. I understand it that the A3s used a stamped bottom metal assembly and earlier 03s used milled bottom metal? Are the earlier milled versions worth getting as replacements and do they require fitting to swap out?

Anything else you can tell me about these rifles and what to look for or think about?

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
(1) it is removable

(2) A Timney trigger is a great option

(3) Your bolt shroud can be modified for a two position side swing safety or there is a three position one available.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You can install a milled 03 guard and it will fit without any problems, if you want to spend $90 for one; they do look better than the stamped A3 one.
Nothing wrong with military triggers; it shouldn't be "long"; the first stage is not part of the "squeeze" when firing, but you have to learn how to do it. Yes, you can fit a new single stage trigger like a Timney, etc.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Springfields can be made into very nice customs.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, I'm looking forward to having a "useful heirloom" that I can use for the rest of my life.

Use enough gun...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
(1) it is removable

I didn't want to bother you with a follow up question but I've scoured the 'net and can't find any info at all. Can you tell me any more about the front sight band? What is involved in removing it?

I would like a nice barrel band front sight and I'm not sure if the right process is to try to remove the existing band or turn the existing band down to the same diameter as the barrel (it is slightly larger than the barrel) and just install the new sight over it.

Use enough gun...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The front sight base is pinned in place across a spline. Use the correct sized punch and drive the pin out from the left side. Drive the sight base forward and off the barrel. A 2x2 chunk of hardwood works well. Or a brass drift.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the bad picture but I think it shows what I'm talking about. It's the steel ring that the sight base attaches to.

Use enough gun...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Double post

Use enough gun...

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Your pic shows the barrel; that is not a ring; the splines are milled directly into the barrel. You can't turn it down without removing lots of metal to get rid of the splines; most guys cut the barrel off there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The "ring" is a different color - seems it did not take the bluing the same as the rest of the metalwork. Or might it have been covered by a band that was part of the sight base when it was blued? Sorry, I'm a newby on these rifles and what the original configuration might have been.

The ring is also slightly larger diameter than the barrel where it abuts it, and the barrel is much smaller diameter in front of the ring, so it appears that this ring was pressed onto the barrel, rather than being a part of the barrel itself.

Use enough gun...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reread dpcd's post.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I was attempting to clarify what I'm reading with what I'm seeing with my eyes.

Use enough gun...

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Look around the CMP website, register and ask questions there. Lots of info:

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79

Also, lots of good info on the Numrich site:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Tex, yes, all 03s and A3s use a front sight band that is pinned onto and splined on the barrel. then it is finished, so if you remove it, you have bare metal underneath. And where the band goes is ground separate from the barrel turning and it sits higher, especially on A3s. They were in a hurry and didn't care about finish.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, that makes perfect sense now.

Use enough gun...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my old sporter. They're pretty cool rifles as they are.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Redfield, Lyman and Burris made a banded ramp front sight specifically dimensioned to go over the milled slots on Springfields. I've had a couple Redfields and Lymans and one Burris, I also installed one on my 30/40 Krag.
Look on E bay for cheap milled bottom metal and talk to Jim Kobe about a 2 position wing safety or Ed LaPour has 3 positions.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of SxS-boy
posted Hide Post
I have an 1903 NRA sporter stock from the late 50's w/ really nice checkering. the stock itself shows a lifetime of use, lots of little knicks and dings & worn spots in the finish. There is one chip on the right side behind the pistol grip that is 1/8" X 1/4" that needs to be filled. With a little work it could be a really nice stock. It's "slab" sawn w/ straight grain. Again the checkering is what's appealing on this stock. It has full wrap forend multi-point diamond up front and multi-point pistol grip that extends below the cheek piece and matches on the opposite side.

I converted the gun back to an "as issued" gun because it has a near new Springfield installed barrel and holds 1"moa w/ the open sights on a bench rest.

If anyone can use it PM me and it's yours for the cost of shipping from Tacoma Wa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Wish I would have seen that offer on the stock sooner.
Craigster if it's not up to your standards I'd pay shipping to get it from your place to mine...
Very nice offer SxS boy!!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote