Find
Notify
Tools

Adopted a rescue animal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Okay I fell victim to the puppy in the window and got this ugly-stocked 03a3 yesterday. The action is drilled killpc , The stock is cracked, handpainted and hand carved. It looks terrible. It has a K3 weaver and the rings and everything looks like my Krag..something sporterized a long time ago. Amazingly the action and barrel look to be in great shape.

I think I am going to upgrade the rifle scope and get a new wood stock. I was trying to find a "finished" nice quality sporter stock for the rifle online last night but no luck so far. It looks like everything needs to be "finished"..and I have no experience doing that. I wouldn't mind trying if the price was right in case I butcher it but I don't want to get a $400 blank and try to figure everything out.

Any leads or recommendations on a replacement stock? I wish Photobucket hadn't changed because I have so many photos I could share of all of this stuff.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Not very pretty, but the Boyd's stocks for Springfields are affordable and pretty much work like they should. Might need some final fit and bedding.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you thought of factory second stock. The link below shows some at 50% discount. You would try your hand at finishing the stock and if it turns out badly you won’t be out too much money.

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/factory_seconds.htm

Also a second possibility is a synthetic stock. They come finished but are a bit more expensive.

Hope this helps.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You know, I think I have a Hougue synthetic for the o3a3 out in the shop. The box was marked for a 98 Mauser but that was not what was in it. This is new. I bought it from Midway a few years ago + when I found out it boxed wrong it was too late to exchange it. It should require NO fitting. If you're interested I'd take $100.00 shipped.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Not very pretty, but the Boyd's stocks for Springfields are affordable and pretty much work like they should. Might need some final fit and bedding.

My gunsmith used a Boyd laminate on my 411. I shot it a few time and then brought it into the shop and had at it with belt sander and rasps,,within a week it fit me perfectly and I can hang on to it with some finger groves on forend and can wrap my hand around the grip and reach the trigger!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay I fell victim to the puppy in the window and got this ugly-stocked 03a3 yesterday.

I like to buy ugly guns that work.

The price normally is very good.

They are fun to play with. One does not have worry about hurting the value.

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote