New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aperture sight for 1895 mauser?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for an aperture sight for a sporterized 1895 mauser I just bought. It already has nice open sights on it. I'd like an old sight that matches the patina of the gun.

Can anybody advise particular models I should look for on ebay, gunbroker, etc.?

Thanks

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The older Lyman and Redfields look good on a project like yours, Lyman made a version that dovetails or silver solders on the cocking piece, also(a Lyman 1A); there are a number of sights that will fit a '95 that the Swedes made for the '96 and '98.

some Swedes:

How about some pics of your rifle? I have a '95, the fifth photo down is the sight I bought for mine.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics and info.

Do you have a make and model on the sight you bought?

I'll see what I can do about pictures but my camera isn't working right now.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC it's a Busk, or perhaps Busker.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the bottom sight in the second image from the top please?

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fred Bouwman:
What is the bottom sight in the second image from the top please?

I would like to know as well. Thanks

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3283 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
all those sights are for '96's, you might try for an ID on a forum with a Swede following, use the photo.

They all fit a '95.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 5th pic down is of a GF sight.
The high GF sights were for .22 rifles, the low ones were for Mausers.
I bought 2 off the net from some guy in Sweden a couple of years back.
The last pic is interesting, but I cant recall what it is.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
all those sights are for '96's, you might try for an ID on a forum with a Swede following, use the photo.

They all fit a '95.

The Swede forums over at gunboards would be a place to start.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second picture, sight on bottom is a Hellquist, made in Sweden. I have one mounted on a 1948 FN Husqvarna and I have one in my safe for a future project. This is the best hunting peep I have ever found, with a clearer sight picture than the Lymans and Redfields and without all the extra metal.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by disassembly:
Second picture, sight on bottom is a Hellquist, made in Sweden. I have one mounted on a 1948 FN Husqvarna and I have one in my safe for a future project. This is the best hunting peep I have ever found, with a clearer sight picture than the Lymans and Redfields and without all the extra metal.

many thanks for the ID tu2