New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could someone post a picture for me?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a type 38 arisaka I did over I'd like to share, but would need to e-mail the picture to someone for posting. would someone be willing to do that for me?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sending PM

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay,

Here is the photo that I was asked to upload........

"theback40" may want to follow up with details

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help GW.
This was a $40 6.5 jap that someone had soft soldered a redfield peepsight on when I got it. The stock is the military stock, reshaped and spraypainted with a crinkle finish paint Brownells sold at one point. I cut the barrel to 16 1/2" added the butterknife type bolt handle I milled/filed from a piece of stock and had a friend rechamber to 260 rem. The whole thing is very simple and very little $$ outlay, but I really kind of like the little bugger.
I have to say I'm also very impressed with how well a 260 with a short barrel does!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TB40,

Sounds like fun to me.

I'm a 260 fan. If you have pix of targets or game you'd like posted, let me know!

Best

GWB

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
and had a friend rechamber to 260 rem. The whole thing is very simple and very little $$ outlay, but I really kind of like the little bugger.
I have to say I'm also very impressed with how well a 260 with a short barrel does!

FrownerSorry to hear you rechambered it. shocker
The Jap 6.5 is a great cartridge.
In my youth I was guilty of making the same error. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I already have a couple other jap sporters in the original caliber, I've got to have something differant to play with now and then!
I have another with the barrel set back and chambered to 6.5/250 sav. dancing

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
I already have a couple other jap sporters in the original caliber, I've got to have something differant to play with now and then!
I have another with the barrel set back and chambered to 6.5/250 sav. dancing

popcornRead you loud and clear. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I have had 4 (rifles or carbines)and everyone of them had an oversized chamber save the one rechambered to 6.5X257.

Oversized and egg shaped.

129 grain Hornady Round Nosed bullet shot very well out of the 6.5X257, surprisingly it shot the 87 grain (Sierra?) very well too.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am eager to hear how the 260 shoots..I have a barreled action coming that has been rechambered to 260.. I agree the 6.5 is a great round...have 2 of them already.

Posts: 79 | Location: Texarkana, Ar  | Registered: 16 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It shoots very well. All of my jap barrels have been in good to very good condition. I have found they shoot there best with a bullet with lots of bearing surface. Speer and sierra 120 and 140's both do well in my rifles. I have what might be the ugliest bubba sporter jap you would ever see, complete with pocketknife checkering. With Sierra 140's it will shoot a 5 shot 1" group with the cheap 4X scope that was on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What got me into the Jap sporters was when I shot a tighter group with my 99 7.7 that I had just acquired than my Browning Abolt had produced!!! Been hooked on them ever since... got 7 or 8 now and I only started at Christmas!!

Posts: 79 | Location: Texarkana, Ar  | Registered: 16 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great truck gun to me or one to have around just in case.

That rifle and a couple boxs of ammo well kill things very well

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like your post and rifle. Have a couple of type 38 Arisakas that were both rechambered to 257R and nicely sporterized many a year ago by someone. Also have a type I (italian carcano sent to Japan and chambered originally in the 6.5x50 Jap) thats been rechambered to 257R too.

Recently I tried some Speer Manual load data for 6.5x55 Swede/7x57 mauser in one of my 6.5x257R rifles using IMR 4759 for reduced loads. Mind you I was only shooting at 70 yds, but was stunned when shooting 4 shot groups I began shooting one inch groups. Don't have a chronograph, but guess my velocity was 1800-2000 FPS from info in Speer manual. A few were tight 3 shot cloverleafs with a flyer that opened it up to around 1 inch. Before this, I'd be lucky with a 2" group....usually 2 1/2 inch was normal at 100 yards.

One day a gent showed up at range to shoot a sporterized 7.7 Jap type 99 that he'd just found in a pawnshop for $120. It had been rechambered to 30-06, so it was a 7.7x30-06. He will shoot Remington factory 150 gr 30-06 ammo in it the first time he shot the rifle. LOL, his .308 bullets went down his .311/.312 bore and produced about 1/2" groups at 100 yds. Chuckle, I'd talked to him when he was setting up to shoot and told him don't expect the accuracy to be very good when I noticed the Remington 30-06 ammo and his rifle still had the original military 7.7 barrel. Jeeeez was I wrong.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
huffmanite

A Type 99 I had utilized 0.308" bullets quite nicely. Like the Enfield, the bore diameter in the Type 99 seems to vary greatly in diameter.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote