New
Find
Notify
Tools

New .257 Roberts Build
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello folks, I'm think of joining the "quarter bore" club and a .257 Roberts seems to tick all the boxes.

I'm a bit of a Mauser 98 fan boy so thought I'd start with a donor action from there.

I seem to have 2 common options here;

1) 7x57 Chilean (Preferred)
2) 8x57 VZ-24

What do folks reckon? Ideally I'd like the action strong enough to handle "+P" loadings

Any recommendations on barrel length also gratefully received.

ATB,

Scrummy

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 257Bob in a v24 action is great. I would go with the v24 for sure.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, certainly one to think about!

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedIs the Chilian Mauser actually a Mod. 98??? popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, Bartsche, you're right. Should have looked closer. (Is in with a bunch of other 98 milsurps so made an assumption, d'oh!)

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
If looking for a surplus action to build this on, don't forget the 1908 Brazilian. It was originally a 7x57 rifle and they are readily found in excellent condition.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Grenadier, good point!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Built this one using a VZ 24 action. 7x57 AI.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Craigster!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I love the 257 and have built many things on vz24s; they are the best. 35 Chileans are too. The pre ww1 ones, 08 Braz and 09 ARgs can be soft, but I use them without a second thought. For mags, I always go with a VZ or a Polish WZ29, which are impossible to get now. So if you make yours on the Chech (or the late Chlean too) one you can load it to the gills. Forget load data in books on this one and work up. I seat bullets way out and get some speeds that would make you say impossible. Tty it.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input Dpcd.

Will start hunting round for what I can find.

Who's barrels do you use?

ATB,

Scrummy

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Douglas on all hunting level rifles. Used two Shilens once; don't care to again unless they are the select match grade. I have used most makes but always go back to Douglas for hunting barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again dpcd

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
vz-24, a good barrel .. and go

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd lean toward one of the recently imported 7x57 VZ24's or a Brazilian '08. The .257 Roberts was based on the 7x57 necked down with minor changes. The feed lip geometry and box taper is identical for both rounds. It will assure flawless feeding.

Bob
www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have found that any 98 made for 8mm will feed 7mms perfectly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks, increasingly looking like the VZ24 is the preferred option.

ATB,

Scrummy

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Not that I would reccomend it, but lots of 93's have been reworked to 308 winchester
which runs at higher psi than a +P 257. My Dad used to have a 300 Savage built on a Mauser small ring action that had the big dove tail cut in the top of the reciever ring. That ran @ 45,000 CUP and it came that way as a factory Sporter! Case in point, the small ring actions are stronger then they are given credit for and frankly I dont think +P factory ammo is all that it is proported to be.

My 257 is built on a 98K. But a lightweight 257 on a small ring action running @ a very safe 45,000 CUP would be a pretty novel little popper IMO, and you could save the vz24 for something a little larger... YMMV.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is on a 1909 Argentine, has a 22" Douglas featherweight barrel and a stock from a blank supplied by Pachmayr in 1977 or so. Metal shotgun buttplate, ebony forearm tip, K4 Weaver. I wouldn't change a thing.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well folks, as an update I might well have located that FN Commercial 98... possibly getting excited!

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Everyone has their own personal thoughts on rifle design. I have used Mauser actions for over 60 years to build from. In all that time I have had only 2 rifles actually built FOR me. I usually have built my own or bought something built for someone else. Several years ago while attending a gunsmiths reunion I decided to have one built. I specified an 09 Argentine action as that was what the book store at TSJC was selling. It turned out to be a 7x57. Took it to Africa and harvested several nice Kudu with it along with some lesser game. A couple of years later I decided to have a second (and probably last) custom built and decided to step up to a really GOOD action. This one I had built on a blueprinted Model 70 Classic. It is in 257 Roberts. When I went off to Gunsmith school in 1952 I carried with me a 98 byf action that had had been rebarreled by a friend to 257Roberts and the bolt handle modified. The barrel was a Pfieffer which most will not remember. As most of my personal rifles it was 22". Here are a couple of pictures of my current 257. Barrel is a 22' Lilja 3 groove. Only shoots about 3/8" but I haven't spent any time on the loads or bullets.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zim,

Slobber-slobber...blub, blub, blub... drool.... Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a nice looking rifle, but I'm curious why the rear sight base is offset forward like that?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
That's just where the base positioned itself. It only had one screw hole in it that you can see and it is placed in the rear hole of the Mdl 70. Probably could have selected a different base but it doesn't bother me as it is and till you said something about it I had not even noticed it had a slight overhang. Does not interfere with loading. I suppose it could be reversed but the builder obviously thought it looked better this way.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
That's just where the base positioned itself.

I've never heard of a base doing that on its own before.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7x57 chile may be a 95 small ring, which makes a dandy 257 Roberts. Own a 257R on a 95 Chile myself. Also have a 257R built on a FN 98 action. I stick with standard 257R loads when reloading for my 95 Chile 257R. Only use what may be called the 257R plus loads when I shoot my FN 98 action 257R.

So, I'd recommend the VZ24 98 action for your build, if you like or want to load to higher pressures.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well folks, the rifle has been commissioned. Will be on an FN Commerical 98 with a horizontal 3 position safety, 24" barrel.

Will keep you all updated.

Now, next question:

Recommend me an optic for this lovely flat shoot chambering...

One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
I see you've already started your build, but I thought I'd drop a line in case some lurker might like to do something similar, and want a few more suggestions.
Years ago, I built a "calling rifle" on an M98 action. It was a .257 Bob AI with a thumbhole stock, and 20" barrel. I really enjoyed this rifle and ran about 5k through the bore. I used it to collect hides, in calling competition, and steel-shooting contests. It's been my favorite for a looong time.
When I decided to rebarrel it, I reheatreated it, and installed a 20" 7x57 Shilon 10" twist tube. I also used a "butter-knife" bolt handle, and got a fiberglass, thumbhole, Mannlicher-style stock for it.
I put a 2-7 Redfield "Widefield" scope on it when it was a .257, but now I've got a Weaver K2.5 atop it to stay with the light svelt theme.
So it won't go to waste, I got an FN M98 for the wooden stock, and installed a Douglas 22" sporter barrel in .257 AI, and a Bushnell 4x.
Usually, I install Timney triggers, adjusted to about 24-28oz, and that's the case with these two rifles.
I like the two-position safety, but I keep saying that I'm going to try the three-position M70-style one day.
You can see I'm an old man, so use a lot of the older, classical pieces. They are fun, and I have them around, lol.
Maybe I'll bump into the OP somewhere, and we'll have a time of it, as I enjoy shooting with other "Quarter Fans."
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well folks, it only took 2 years but it is built!

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
and.......

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Pictures or it didn't happen.....

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's see that rifle! I vote Leupold M8 or FX-II 4x or 6x on the scope. I'm a fixed power fan for big game rifles. Light, tough, and super reliable.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well folks, here it is. Not a sporterised military rifle but an FN Supreme underneath.
Lothar Walther Barrel
Swarovski Z4i 3-12x50
3 Position Win M70 type safety

Best wishes,

Scrummy

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Looks like a keeper!!!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheers Blacktailer!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I have a .243 built on the FN Supreme action. Good choice!

Posts: 113 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 23 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
Not that I would reccomend it, but lots of 93's have been reworked to 308 winchester
which runs at higher psi than a +P 257. .

Although what you say is true, the conversion was somewhat of a mistake. They were identified as 1916 Mausers and when I used US military ammo in mine It developed set back. It still can be fired but any time you use near max. loads it's hell to open. It's also true when using a lot of commercial hunting loads. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
which runs at higher psi than a +P 257. .

Although what you say is true, the conversion was somewhat of a mistake. They were identified as 1916 Mausers and when I used US military ammo in mine It developed set back. It still can be fired but any time you use near max. loads it's hell to open. It's also true when using a lot of commercial hunting loads. beerroger

I agree, whoever gave the OK to convert those to 7.62 NATO should have been slapped. That stuff can run pretty hot sometimes. Eeker When I made the above statement I was thinking that the 257 +p runs at lesser pressures, but apparently they can be loaded to 50,000 CUP. Probably best to keep them small ring Mausers to original 257 pressures.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
That's damn nice Scrummy. tu2 Did you do the stock yourself?

quote:
Originally posted by Scrumbag:
Well folks, here it is. Not a sporterised military rifle but an FN Supreme underneath.
Lothar Walther Barrel
Swarovski Z4i 3-12x50
3 Position Win M70 type safety

Best wishes,

Scrummy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, stock was done by the 'smith.