New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm Lee Navy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Years ago (1967) I picked up a 6mm Lee Navy as part of a trade.

Guy I got it from could no longer buy ammo and literally gave it away.

Problem was he had cut the barrel of and sporterized the stock -- then broke the stock, so it was a mess.

I built a new stock and shot it necking up 220 Swift cases and took a white tail with it and then put it away until 2012. Last year I decided because of the chopped barrel and broken stock it had no collecto value so I was going to make it more presentable.

So in last March it took it to a gunsmith and had him recrown the barrel, reblue the rifle, mount a peep sight on it and rebed the action. Got it back last week.

Tomorrow I need to start a refinish on the stock and shave some wood off the comb to get a better eye alignment with the peep sight (a simple Lyman made the Win Model 94 that fits perfectly on the flat receiver side of the 6mm Lee Navy). When the stock is redone, I will be taking it to the range. Bought some 6mm Lee Navy brass from Buffalo Arms, and loaded them with some Speer 105gr bullets and ready to go.

When I get the stock reshaped and refinished, and get it to the range I will post some pictures.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a M95 Dutch Mannlicher that I am currently making brass for.
My rifle was bubbaed many years ago. It apparently was a rare navy carbine too.

Since it was made by Steyr - the same factory that manufactured the Mannlicher Schoenauer the workmanship of the metal is unsurpassed.
The stock is horrendous.
It will do for a nice plinker since I can no longer shot open sights very well.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of those "Doofus Specials" too.

Fairly rare here, a Danish-Jorgenson Krag variation in 8x58R. They had long (29") barrels, with a sleeve. Goober had cut an inch off of it before realizing it was a pencil barrel with a sleeve. $125 special at a gunshow some time back.

My gunsmith was able to make a collar and fit it, along with a front sight blade. CH4D makes dies, forming (from 45-90) and reloading. I am shooting cast in it for now. It's just a fun tin can killer.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is sad to see a Bubba'd fine old firearm. The good news is they make a fine start for a project without feeling guilt.

I have a Krag in excellent shape that is going to stay that way. What I want though is a Parkenfarker special that I can rescue for a nice handy woods rifle. I have two high number 03 actions that are at the gunsmith's now that I never would have taken from an intact rifle.

Without the efforts of Milo Parkenfarker and his cousin Bubba I would not have the opportunity to feel righteous (not to say guilt free) about rescuing these fine old rifles.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Post up some photos when you get her done, Barstooler. That was a cartridge way ahead of its time. Love to see these old classics back in the traces.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16317 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Post up some photos when you get her done, Barstooler. That was a cartridge way ahead of its time. Love to see these old classics back in the traces.

Will do. Was out of town all this week, but did the rough work, the sanding and filling, and now have 5 coats of TrueOil on it. Ammo is loaded and as soon as I get the stock completed will take it to the range.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote