Find
Notify
Tools

M96 Conversions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
This is probably an old topic,but.......what calibres can an M96 Swedish Mauser be rebarreled to?
Would large bore size be better,something like a 9.3x57 or something similar?

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think anything 9.3x57 on down would work. Go to Tradeex Canada site, Sporting Rifles and see
quite a few of them in various calibres. FWIW --- John

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
......thanks for the tip John, Trade Ex Canada have literally dozens of 9.3x57 M96's for sale. I'm assuming from this they are a reasonably popular calibre.
I'll check my pressure charts to see what they run at.

Roger

Posts: 1031 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
x2 with what dpcd said. I have no connection to TEC but have dealt with them quite a bit & they are great people IMHO. One of things other than several 98s I purchased a 96 barreled receiver in 9.3x57 with a Krupp barrel just for the barrel but on some thought have decided to scrouge the rest of the parts and rebuild the rifle. I believe TEC does not ship outside of Canada but I suppose there are ways though someone else. --- John

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of '96 actions that I can convert, my question was mainly about the feasability and safety of rebarrelling to a "heavier" calibre.
I was thinking along the lines of a full wood stock with a 20" barrel and open sights,with a quarter rib to take a scout scope if required.

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have 96 based rifles in 6.5x55, 9.3x57, 9.3x60, and one rechambered to 6.5-06. I also used to have a factory one in 30-06, and have two between the wars commercial 96 rifles in 7x57 and 8x57. Don't think I would build a 300 RUM on one, but pretty much anything reasonable will work. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I were in the converting frame of mind regarding the Swedish mauser, I'd be looking at a 9.5x57 rather than the 9.3x57 cartridge. While 375 bullet choices are better than the 9.3x57 get any good .375 cast bullet mold around 300 grains and you should be good to go. The husquvarna Swedish mausers did make a action without the thumb cutout And although having seen only one such rifle that would be my starting point. Regardless any of the Swedish mauser actions you choose should be more than adequate for your needs. Been working on and off (mostly off) a cutdown 24" bbld Swedish mauser for a long time. Will be fitting the bbld action into a cg63 stock already been drilled & tapped for scope and finally had the replacement bolt done up with a proper bolt handle. Shame that the smith that did the first one couldn't read the shop ticket or that the second bolt done by another smith didn't take the time to fit the shroud and cocking piece and firing pin assembly before he sent it back. Anyway that is behind me now. Frank

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have 2 96 Mausers one in 6.5x55 and the other in .257 Roberts.
The Roberts has the action without a thumb cut.
I run both of them with "modern" loads, meaning I shoot 117 grain bullets at 2825 fps from the 257 Roberts and 140 grain bullets at 2790 fps from the 6.5x55.
In both rifles these loads seem "moderate" no problems no pressure. Both have modern barrels on them and have speed lock kits (cock on open).
Both are fantastic rifles I would never part with.
I'm not sure how hard you want to push them but I've seen them for sale chambered in all manner of modern cartridges.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kimber of oregon put .308 and .243 in them and they are fine. Yes I know that is way overkill pressure for the design but it works. it is a strong action.

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The place to start is the shell holder. The bolt, without alteration will feed any cartridge that shares the same shell holder almost. The 6.5 x 55 is slightly larger but should handle the Mauser family from 8mm on which includes the '06; .270... SECOND question is length. Swedes were 55 mm cartridges. By comparison the NATO is 51mm. '06 might be a bit long. "Pre 98" did not handle gas as well, that is a safety thing. Swedes will be made of pretty good steel. If you go Husky, (husquavarna) then it was made in the 1930s for WW II. I just do not feel bad about putting a modern pressure unit, say .243, into a Swede. Might be wrong but I would risk it if I were doing this. Budget says NO!... ha, ha. Norma has never held back on pressure the way US ammo makers do. ?? Luck. Happy Trails.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its always been a topic of conversation..I personally would not consider it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have one in 35 Remington; the bolt face handles it very well, even though a tad large.
Just keep 96s and their ilk, for cartridges about 40K psi. Not that they won't take modern pressure; it is the safety factor that is lacking if something goes wrong. .

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote