Find
Notify
Tools

Small Ring
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
picked this up today. 8x57, small ring, 20-ish barrel, 6.2 lbs.
I thought maybe polish. no other marking besides RwE on the side.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Classic of the type, everything where it belongs, very nice.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just beautiful!!!

"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet. But have a plan on how to kill them." From an old Marine.

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After World War 1 the government arsenal at Erfurt was renamed Reichswerke Erfurt and thus your RwE and crownless eagle.

Posts: 50 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ramsgate:
After World War 1 the government arsenal at Erfurt was renamed Reichswerke Erfurt and thus your RwE and crownless eagle.

-a man who knows his Mausers Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love that style

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had hoped that a knowledgeable person would have chimed in by now. Here are my guesses and perhaps my errors will be corrected by a real Mauser person.

First the photos are excellent and thank you.
- the rifle was produced for the civilian market
- the action was/is a Kar98a
- the rifle could be described as Prussian or German
- the factory was the former Royal Prussian armory
- it was produced after November, 1918 after the King of Prussia and Emperor of Germany, Kaiser Wilhelm II abdicated
- the Imperial Eagle was used without a crown because the Kaiser was gone
- the brief efforts to produce for the civilian market ended when the allies dismantled the factory in accordance with the terms of The Treaty of Versailles
- so a narrow window from late 1918 until early 1920 .... 1919?

This rifle is more than usually interesting and an examination of the history of that time is likely to be rewarding. All in all it would appear to be a spectacular find.

and I do recognize how inadequate and possibly incorrect I might be

Posts: 50 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info. Very interesting indeed.

Rich

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
richj

That is my kind of rifle in an excellent caliber to boot.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3066 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
Very nice, it's really got me slobbering onto the keyboard. I was wondering if you could post a pic of the crest, looks interesting.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rub Line:
Very nice, it's really got me slobbering onto the keyboard. I was wondering if you could post a pic of the crest, looks interesting.

-bet ya a cold drink it's stippled/no crest. Wink

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Bingo.

It's stippled.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle. Looks quire similar to my pre-war JP Sauer. Question, what pressure level of loads are suitable for this rifle/action?

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rub Line:
I was wondering if you could post a pic of the crest.

It's likely that there was nothing beyond a crown with the name of the government arsenal below that and the date of manufacture on the third line. Sooo, crown, Erfurt, year. Danzig would be guess number two.

What technology would be required to identify the original markings ?

One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
Really nice rifle! I picked up and identical barrel action like this at a gun show this weekend.

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Siam_Krag:
Really nice rifle! I picked up and identical barrel action like this at a gun show this weekend.

Siam
Are you going to carve a stock for that?
How you been? Hope the Gunsmithing school is treating you well!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom,

Things are going great! I plan on stocking it. I am going to at Trinidad this summer to learn stock making from a blank, They do not teach that here just inletting, and shaping both taught by James Tucker and I learned alot from him.

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote