The Accurate Reloading Forums
Springfield Sporterized Value.

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3281019521/m/1501021281

15 November 2012, 07:01
dwheels
Springfield Sporterized Value.
Hey imagine that!! Two of em at the same time. I picked this 1903 up for a very reasonable price. It is in a Bishop stock, its been carried around a lot because the stock is dark at the wrist. Its a Springfield Armory make, model 1903, it's blue maybe done when sporterized I don't know. The Serial Number is close to the one in the discussion below at 1291XXX with the barrel marked SA, flaming bomb, and 6-28. The receiver has not been drilled and tapped but the barrel has a Marbles semi buckhorn in a dovetail. The front sight is original. It could use a good cleaning before I say how good the barrel is but it looks pretty good. So how much do you think? I'd sell it in a heartbeat for $375 plus shipping.I'll get some pictures taken. DW
16 November 2012, 15:53
p dog shooter
I use buy all kinds of these for 200 but that was years ago.375 seems resonable now.

But with out pictures it is really hard to guess seems like the action alone should be worth a couple hundred now days.
18 November 2012, 22:07
45-70 shooter
You have a Nickle steel action and the bolt root (if original and correct) should also be marked "NS". The interwar 03s were fine rifles. If the bore is mint $375 is a very good deal (on the assumption that it is correct and has not has the crap buffed out of it by a "reblue expert" and the D&T is straight. The front sight and ramp are easily removed and if original parkerizing is intact, are worth 20-25 bucks, more if the blade is the USMC design. Barrel band sporterized front ramp & sights are available form Brownells. Check the headspace, clean it properly, check the crown and put it on paper with some Federal Blue Box ammo. Should hold 2 MOA or better.
An 03 can make a very handsome sporter as the two below by R.F. Sedgley C.1935, a 6.5x55 (top) and 22-06 (bottom) demonstrate.

20 December 2012, 06:26
Mark
quote:
Originally posted by 45-70 shooter:
You have a Nickle steel action and the bolt root (if original and correct) should also be marked "NS". The interwar 03s were fine rifles. If the bore is mint $375 is a very good deal (on the assumption that it is correct and has not has the crap buffed out of it by a "reblue expert" and the D&T is straight. The front sight and ramp are easily removed and if original parkerizing is intact, are worth 20-25 bucks, more if the blade is the USMC design. Barrel band sporterized front ramp & sights are available form Brownells. Check the headspace, clean it properly, check the crown and put it on paper with some Federal Blue Box ammo. Should hold 2 MOA or better.
An 03 can make a very handsome sporter as the two below by R.F. Sedgley C.1935, a 6.5x55 (top) and 22-06 (bottom) demonstrate.

45-70, those are some very nice rifles you have there. I especially like the wood on the top rifle.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside
23 December 2012, 04:30
Bill/Oregon
45-70, those are indeed beautiful sporters. I can't believe one is in 6.5X55. What a wonderful decision someone made!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author