Find
Notify
Tools

Unusual find.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone ever heard of a .404 EXP?

I have an unmolested FN commercial barreled action that has .404 EXP marked on the barrel.

Cerrosafe is on the way but I thought I would see if anyone ever heard of it? Looks like it has a .410 bore (6-groove barrel), so I'm pretty sure it isn't a Jeffrey

Posts: 4156 | Location: Hell | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello from England. If it is Belgian Proof Marks then I think that it is just the way that they mark the calibre.

I have a commercial Belgian artisan gunsmith 280 Remington made in the 1960s on a ex-Nazi Mauser 98K. That is marked for calibre as 280 IMP which gave me some though as to if it was a standard 280 Remington or a 280 Remington Improved.

On first firing it the case came out just as it went in. The rifle was quite standard. So I think that it is was just their way or marking that calibre back then?

It may also be that they didn't want, for whatever reason, to use the Jeffrey appendage to the 404?

Hmm. So maybe for the English speaking market and not 10.75x73?

Like apparently BSA of Britain used to call the Westley Richard 300 Sherwood the 300 Extra Long.

Hope it helps! You could call the Liege Proof House they speak pretty good English.

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,

I posted this same question in another forum on AS http://forums.accuratereloadin...841068391#7841068391 and I thought you might like to see it if you haven't already.

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
.410 BORE or GROOVE? a true 404 Jeff will have about a .423 groove.
I see your pics; it is not the original barrel as you know; could be anything. I can tell you if you really want to know but I have to have the barrel. .410/.411 bullets are easy to get; made for the 405 WCF and the 450-400 NE.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I see your pics; it is not the original barrel as you know; could be anything.

Actually, according to the 80-yr old gunsmith that owned the barreled action from the day it was new, it was purchased direct from FN, as a barreled action, just the way you see it.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
404 BJ Express? http://forums.outdoorsdirector...60317-404-BJ-Express

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Slug the bore and cast the chamber and post the results; I will have your answer 10 seconds after you do that.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quick Karl:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I see your pics; it is not the original barrel as you know; could be anything.

Actually, according to the 80-yr old gunsmith that owned the barreled action from the day it was new, it was purchased direct from FN, as a barreled action, just the way you see it.

I agree with dcpd, I don't think that barrel was installed in Belgium by FN. I have some experience in FN Deluxe actions of this era and how they are marked. In Europe the key part of a firearm to them and the one that requires serializing, is the barrel. If this was an FN barreled action, the barrel would have a serial number matching the action and a set of proofs matching the action. The serial numbers would be on the right, proofs on the left, all just above the wood line.

The caliber markings on FN Mausers I am familiar with are small stampings and simple. Such as on my 243 Win which has CAL in maybe 3/32" letters and "243" in maybe 1/8" numbers.

If there is no serial number stamped on your action, my opinion is the action was purchased bare and in the white. The marring of the action installing the barrel isn't something FN would do either. I suspect they had a good action wrench, and may not allow an action to leave the factory with that defect.

Love your project. I'm sure you balanced rebarrel vs pricey wildcat dies. I don't know the best option, but I'm sure you are having fun with the project. I think maybe the best approach may have been to make a few pieces of straight belted mag brass to chamber length, neck down in a carbide pistol die to allow chambering, COWPP, and do some accuracy testing. Then if it is accurate, have dies made. If not, rebarrel.