Find
Notify
Tools

Sporterized rimfire.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted
I have three of these Romanian Model 69 training rifles. This is the first one that I messed with. It's not perfect, but it's a helluva lot better than what it was when I started.

I basically cleaned up and re-shaped the original stock, plus I added the ebony. I plan on adding a banded sling swivel. The problem is, if I purchase a NECG banded sling swivel, it will cost more than I paid for the whole gun. Roll Eyes

Like I said, I have three of these, I have about $200 invested in all three. The next one I 'sporterize', I plan to make into a tactical sporter.

I hope you enjoy the pics, I'm not sure that I'm 100% satisfied with it, so I may do some more sanding and shaping in the future, but for now it's a great shooter. In fact, these guns have a good reputation for being tack drivers.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Good work. Military trainers are fun. Cheap, good quality, accurate. I did a Brno and an MAS similar to yours.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
neat little rifle.

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's mine:

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Here's mine:

I didn't take any before pics, but that is pretty much what mine started out as. As you can see, I had the finger grooves and the bolt handle cut outs dressed up on the mill. I cut off the forend just behind the sling swivel and glued on the ebony. I also did some work in the buttstock region, including adding the recoil pad and removing the 'arch' in the buttstock.

The worst part is getting all of the old varnish stripped off. I soaked it in citristrip for DAYS and I still had to sand out some areas.

The barrel and receiver are pretty rough, the barrel looks like it's threaded all the way down. I have another that actually has really nice metal and a scope, also the trigger is super crisp. They are certianly fun shooters. I sold my 10/22 because I love my M69s so much.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I remember that finish. It was worse than the bowling ball crap that Remington uses.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Four of us turned our rifles into smooth bore to shoot dragon flies. Chopped off front and rear sight and installed a bead. Have had a lot of fun. It is an excellent tool to deal with mice and snakes around the house.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote