THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SPORTERIZED MILITARY RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Sporterized Military Rifles    Your accuracy experience firing .308 bullets in .311 bores (7.62x54r)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your accuracy experience firing .308 bullets in .311 bores (7.62x54r)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Just wondering if people have found acceptable accuracy.

What say ye?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10042 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It can work in certain circumstances. My first 303 Brit I had wouldn't shoot for crap. Tried about everything and in desperation tried some .308 bullets. Became a fun gun then.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Lee 440 "Years ago, I picked up a couple of 1909 Argies in a pawn shop. Whoever was importing them had run a 30-06 reamer in them and marked them as such. The bores were excellent on them and even though I had bought them for the actions, I decided to see if they would shoot. I reasoned that in an oversized bore, maybe using a long flat based round nose bullet would stabilize better because of the long bearing surface. I used some Hornady 220gr. RN's that shot perfect little 3 shot cloverleafs at 100 yds! The velocity as I recall, was about 2100 fps over my chronograph, from a book load that claimed 2400, I just chalked the lower velocity up to blow-by. I sure hated to pull that barrel but they had hogged the reamer and the neck/shoulder area was grooved up and the brass came out looking pretty sad. I measured the fired necks and they were oversized enough to seat .312 bullets so I got a 303 expander ball and put it in my 06 dies and it shot very well. Sometimes the only way to find out whether something will work is to just give it a try."
Lee440

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Endowment)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.
\
oldThis posting has an answer. tu2roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I had a 7.7 Arisaka that had ben re-chambered to .300 Savage. It grouped nickel-sized at 50 yards. This was with loads I bought from a fellow who loaded for his M99.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I have been shooting two 7.62X39s for 3-4 years now. One is an AR with a Colt upper and the other is a CZ527. I have tried maybe four or five different .308 bullets and about the same number of .310/.311 bullets in both. All of these bullets have grouped about the same, MOA to 1.5MOA. A 180 RN cast bullet sized at .314 has shot very well indeed in the CZ.

Right now, my hunting load uses a 150 gr .311 spitzer given to me by a friend that bought them by mistake for his 308 Win. I have yet to blood either rifle, but am still trying to get a whitetail to cooperate when I'm carrying them.

From my experience, I'd say try whatever diameter bullet you want to use (carefully watching pressure signs, of course), and see what the results are....

Posts: 229 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Hook,

Thanks for the info.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10042 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'll second hook - that has my experience also

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mike,

As we manufacture pre-fits for the Mosin, the cartridge is always the 7.62 x 54R. We have made quite a few with different bore/groove dimensions from 300/308, 302/310 and 303/311. If a customer is strictly shooting surplus ammo we recommend either the 302/310 or the 303/311 as bullet diameters will vary quite a bit. If they are reloading using .308 bullets we make the barrel for those bullets and thus mark the barrel as such also in case the customer ever sells the rifle.