New
Find
Notify
Tools

help identifing Mauser action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently picked up a large ring Mauser action for a future custom project. I am having problems identifying it.
The person I got it from said he thought it was a FN made Mauser 50 carbine action, He thought it was originally made for Egypt and then sold to Morocco. i have the barrel that was on the action when he got it. The caliber is unknown.

Here are the particulars;
Action has an overall length of 8 11/16"

the receiver ring measures 1.401"

on the right side of the action, on the ring is the number 300.

On the left side of the ring it is inscribed" FAB. NAT. D'ARMES de GUERRE
HERSTAL-BELGIQUE

on the left side of the receiver ring is a star then a "E" (on its back facing up) and then what looks like an arrow, with the two lines making the point facing to the rear of the action

There are no other markings on the receiver. The receiver is cut out for longer cartridges.

The barrel is 17 3/8' long, from back of threads to muzzle. It has a graduated rear sight. and the barrel has a stepped design.

On the right side of the barrel is a oval with a crown on it. within the oval is a E at the top, star at the bottom. Between them is the letters L and G.

Just above this oval is a N with a star above it.

The number 2624 is also on the barrel.

I am going to try to post pictures, wish me luck!

thanks for any help in advance!
shane
try this direct link to view pics on photobucket

http://s1149.photobucket.com/albums/o583/sjgehring/

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Dutch police carbine in .30-06. Pics would help.

Posts: 3664 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at 'Mauser Military Rifles of the World', Fifth Edition on page 263, your rifle could be a Moroccan FN-made .30-06 Carbine.

There was a .308 version but it has a different address on the left side of the receiver and the receiver was not notched.

This book does not contain any Mauser rifles made specifically for Egypt.

Jim

Posts: 546 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote