Find
Notify
Tools

M98 Mauser shotgun
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted
I have an opportunity to buy an M98 shotgun. The guy says it is a large ring Mauser that has been converted to 16 ga. Would it be possible to convert it back to a rifle again? Especially a big bore rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Bob58
posted Hide Post
Don't bother. Is this a Geha conversion? I'd pass and buy some other donor action. Those shotgun conversions were fairly extensive. I've never studied one but they do have significant bolt modofications and you would at a bare minimum have to buy a new bolt.

Posts: 28 | Location: Piedmont of NC | Registered: 15 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several of those, I would say it is not a wise move since most of the ability for the front lugs (of the bolt) to engage the receiver have been removed to allow feeding of the shotgun shells. Only the rear bplt lug fully engages, conversion to a slug gun with a rifled barrel (eg in 20 gau.) a possibility. Is it a Remo / Geha? --- John303.

One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
I passed on the shotgun. It didn't look like any other one I've been able to find on the internet. Thanks for the advice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jriley:
Would it be possible to convert it back to a rifle again? Especially a big bore rifle.

If you want to do that, start with this:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/212

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I know a guy who just traded for a Savage bolt action like that one.