Find
Notify
Tools

What to look for
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Trouble with the 7mm-08.
We have discussed this gun before Savage 7mm-08 rebedded and stock worked on and had the original Nikon scope and rings and bases. Tack driver with 139 gr Hornaday Whitetail loads. Two shots in one hole and half vertically.

Last trip the rifle was a 3-5 inch group high and wide and no steady poa. Checked scope and rings so sent the scope back to Nikon. After sending the scope end I found fron base screw screws was about 1/2 turn loose. Maybe that was the problem as scope came back with no comments from Nikon.

In that time the board recommended a Leopold scope and ring/bases. I picked up a Leopold VX-FREEDOM 3x9x40. I shot it a couple of months ago in a windy day and was not happy with the grouping. I put it off to the wind and in a hurry. I expected to see that same .5 group at a hundred and it did not happen.

I shot the rifle on Sunday no wind and had weird results.

First shot was dead on and 1.6H on and the second shot was 1.6 but 2 inches right.

Next three shots was a triangle and inch group. one was on andjust under 3H inches, another on at 2H inches and the third was 2.3 H .8 right.

Waited a minute and shot two more times both at 3.5 inches and .5 right and the second 1.5 left.

I brought the gun home to take a part to see if I can fig out what was wrong.

What am I looking for???? all the screws were lock tighted to place. and tight when I checked them two months ago the first time there was no good group. Gun was last cleaned when I was putting on the new scope.

Gun used to shoot a 3 shot 1/2 inch group. Now I am getting a right to left spread and a spread that moves up the page. Rifle was not jumping on the dry fire.

The funny thing is the first and third group are identical in their width and the holes will overlap though they are not the same zero.

What am I looking at with this gun or scope. I plan to take it completely apart from top to bottom but not sure what to look for.

Could I have tightened the scope down too tight?
When I got the rifle it went back to the factory for a new barrel and was a tack driver from there.

I have other rifles to use but like this one for a ranch gun.

As Always "Thanks for the advice." This one has me stumped. Jim

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Though the articulated erector tube of almost all modern scopes is a weakness that can make them prone to failure, I'd be surprised if you had two from relatively reliable brands peg out in a row.

The only impression that stays with me from your description is that you seem to be in a hurry.

Do you fire the shots fast? Not only can firing shots quickly wear your barrel prematurely but the heating can make some barrels' impacts wander. (I may not get through so much ammo but, after each shot at the range - except with a 22LR) - I open the bolt and let the barrel cool while I check the target and inspect the empty case.)

On another tack, how much care did you take in mounting the scopes? Even though the reticle always seems centred, for mechanical and optical integrity you still need to have it physically near the scope's centre when it's mounted. One-inch alloy scopes don't have the strength of those with the same internals inside steel, so modern ones are more likely to bend if you don't take precautions to stop that happening. One way to stop it is to lap the rings and align them with a mandrel, using the mandrel also when moving windage mounts to align the scope. An easier way to approach these issues is with rings that contain swivelling plastic inserts, made by certain companies now.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO I can tell when I am in a hurry. I have a flyer every once in a while but All my guns shoot between 1/2 and a 1 inch group depending on how hot I am loading. I have found that the Hornaday Whitetail to be a great load for 5 different rifles. Cheap and hotter than I can reload. To 350 is it great and with a lead tip. I hog and cull hunt and do not trophy hunt any more.

Off for me would be outside an inch group not a two inch swing and all the rounds moving from from the 1.7 ish sight in.

I doubt that Hornaday changed the load up that much. Still funny to go from two in the same hole to high 4 or 5 inch group from one trip and now with a better scope and bases????

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still would guess scope or mount vs bedding, I think. Check the bedding also, but I had a problem with an HVA 30-06 that haunted me for an embarrassingly long time. Mounts felt tight, but I had an overlong screw. So it tightened down to where I couldn't twist the screwdriver any more against the barrel (under the front mount hole). And the back screw was tight, so the mount wasn't moving perceptibly under finger pressure. It shot okay, but not great. 2 or 2.5 inches, maybe? Anyway, might check mounts' screw length and bedding.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote