New
Find
Notify
Tools

150 or 160 gr partitions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gun is 7mmRemMag w/ 24" with shots on Antelope, Deer, and Elk. I currently use 154 Hornady Interbonds and looking to try something different for next season.

Do the 160gr Nosler Partitions have any benefit over the 150gr Partitions? Comments on both will be appreciated.

I think with most powders the velocities are nearly identical (atleast within only 150 fps in the books)

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do the 160gr Nosler Partitions have any benefit over the 150gr Partitions?

I get better accuracy with the 160gr. bullets and they're very consistent at longer ranges.

They worked so I've stuck with them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either one will do the job. Use the one that provides the best accuracy in your rifle.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not that it is of major importance but you asked if there was ANY benefit between
the 150 and 160 Nosler PT designs.
The 160 should ALWAYS have more retained weight than the 150 because of the placement of the partition.
The 160 is virtually a direct copy of the 175 from the partition back. Wash the front ends off both bullets, as frequently happens, and the 160 will have more retained weight and therefore deeper penetration.
(if it retains the back end)
It may be that the 150 is the same as the 140 as to partition placement but
I can't remember if that is truely the case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would give the 160gr Nosler Accubond a try. The Accubond is every bit as good as the Partition in my experience but is better for the longer ranges as it will hold more retained energy due to its higher ballistic coefficient. I just bought 200 tips to try in my 15" Encore barrel. I used the Accubond in Africa and it is a real performer. You may get higher velocity and better accurracy as well.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
160 Partitions used to be my mainstay in a 7mmMag, years ago...........they always shot better than the lighter weights.

I also would try the 160 Accubond.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 160s. Better carry up; greater retained weight. On antelope it makes no difference, on mulies, it makes little difference, on elk, you want all the help you can get.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30378 hit the nail on th ehead, whichever shots better in your rifle.

But don't get wrapped up in "Magic Sword Excalibur" syndrome, the difference between a 150gr and 160gr partition at any distance short of 600yds is only relevant
to someone who needs to convince themselves they have every advantage.

I believe it likely that 140gr Partitions will work as well 99.999% of the time, but I'm sure atleast five members
of what I call "The Heavy Bullet Mafia" will scream invective
that any bullet lighter than 160grains will bounce off of
any elk that has ever lived, even though there are guys who've hunted and killed Elk with 25-06, 257wby and 264Win rifles.

Heavy bullets are "necissary" if you insist on not taking advantage of the better technology of "premium" bullets.

If you are using a partition 140's will probably do a better job than most 160gr "Cup & Core"

If you can't decide on a 140gr or a 160gr for your 7RM
then 150gr is a nice choice to allow you to avoid deciding, though I'll add that 10gr one way or another is an argument only undertaken by inveterate quibblers.
I suspect that the same can be said of 20grs.

So we get back to "whichever shoots best in YOUR rifle".

I got my current custom Rem700 with a medium heavy Hart
barrel on it because the original owner who had it built
couldn't get it to shoot the heavy bullets (160-175) he wanted to shoot in it.

He simply couldn't adapt himself to shooting what the rifle wanted to shoot.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
another vote for whichever one shoots best.

only b/c you mentioned elk, would i lean twds the 160.

i've had some of my western buddies email me some pics of bull elk killed at a couple hundred yards with a 130 tsx from a 270, so i think it is really up to you b/c the 150 will certainly do the job.

good luck.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MThuntr:
Gun is 7mmRemMag w/ 24" with shots on Antelope, Deer, and Elk. I currently use 154 Hornady Interbonds and looking to try something different for next season.

I just have to wonder why youre giving up on my beloved Interbond? They totally rock, might not have the penetration as Partitons, but they do mushroom much better, please keep the Interbonds, keep those Noslers on the shelf. Have seen/heard of too many great things about Interbonds to get me to try anything else. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the major reason I am looking to change is that I scored the Interbonds as returns in a Cabelas bargin cave way back when and finally down to my last 28 loaded rounds so i'm good for this year. Now Interbonds are $39 on average. I was like 30 seconds late at MidwayUSA on their blemished sale. I had them in my "cart" and went to the checkout to find they were out.

I was thinking of picking up some Factory 2nds from Nosler. I have tried 160gr Accubonds and performance lead me to believe they are glorified Ballistic Tips and they have not afforded me the accuracy as the Interbond.

I think 150 grainers are going to do me well. I am comfortable using lighter bullets on big game. I have seen an Elk shot with a 120grain bullet from a 25-06.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
I'm with the best accuracy bunch.That said, 160's have always shot better for me.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
One will be more accurate and one will be a better terminal performer on game. They may or may not be the same bullet.

For me the heavier partitions have always performed better on game.

In hunting, terminal performance is more important to me than a 1/4MOA of accuracy difference.

Accuracy puts holes in paper. Terminal performance puts meat in the freezer.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
In the 7mm Rem. Mag., I lean toward the heavier bullets. They tend to destroy less meat on the small, fragile species such as deer and antelope, and they give better penetration on things like elk & moose. I have gone to the 175-grain Partition in the 7 Mag. myself.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gettin kinda tired of the use lighter premium bullet crap. Why not use heavy premiums. I use 160 TXSs in my STW, the shoot extremely well and kill like you wouldn't believe.

Posts: 558 | Location: Southwest B.C. | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like partitions, but in my STW and my buddies 7mag I shoot the 160 grain accubond. My buddie took an elk with the accubond and was prety impressed.
When I go to elk in my stw I switch to the 160 grain T-shock.
Have not shot one yet but I have confidence in the load.
Since you ask about partitions , I would go 160 grain. You could use the same load if you ever went elk hunting...tj3006

freedom1st