Find
Notify
Tools

My 358 Winchester is finished!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
fallout 4 deathclaw locations

Built off a K98 Mauser action (Already been sporterized). Lothar Walther 22.5 inch Barrel. Jeweling and checkering were hand done. This is by far the nicest rifle I have ever owned! Work was done by Malcolm Ballistic Tool out of Conway, Arkansas.

Posts: 53 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 29 November 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Beautiful
Will you load it to 3.23” oal?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Very nice! 4895, Varget & 748 all give good velocities with 225s

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10054 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James that is a fine looking rifle in a great chambering. Sure it will be a favorite in the field.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Very nice! 4895, Varget & 748 all give good velocities with 225s

totally agree -- very nice rifle.. and 748 is 'the" powder for 358 and 225 gr sierra gamekings

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38457 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SWEET. Take that thing hunting

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see your rifle is complete. I expected to see something broken or worn out Smiler

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice wood; can you post a picture of the left side of the action please? Is the a gas port or?

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Love your rifle!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing her with us.

Posts: 10793 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how is Tim doing?

if you talk to him again tell him my 300-XCB rifle is still doing what it was designed to do.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
how is Tim doing?

if you talk to him again tell him my 300-XCB rifle is still doing what it was designed to do.

Tim is doing fine. Busy with working on his new shop, but always has time to talk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Nice wood; can you post a picture of the left side of the action please? Is the a gas port or?

If you zoom in on the first pic you should be able to see it. Or do you need to see something else?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words guys. Got some 225 Sierra Gamekings yesterday, and have plenty of 200 grain bullets. Have 748, 3031, TAC, and 4064 that I want to try. I have read before about the 748 being very nice in the 358 Win. I have a little bit left, enough to see how it shoots!
And I do plan on taking it hunting. Now need to figure out what I want to shoot with it first. Live in Pa so hunting options are limited this time of year. Thought about a Ga hog hunt this spring.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James Yoder:
Thanks for the kind words guys. Got some 225 Sierra Gamekings yesterday, and have plenty of 200 grain bullets. Have 748, 3031, TAC, and 4064 that I want to try. I have read before about the 748 being very nice in the 358 Win. I have a little bit left, enough to see how it shoots!
And I do plan on taking it hunting. Now need to figure out what I want to shoot with it first. Live in Pa so hunting options are limited this time of year. Thought about a Ga hog hunt this spring.

You will find TAC works well in the 358win. Copied link here below to more information.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com...0/re-358-win-and-tac

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome looking rifle .I hope you get lots of game with it .I want another p1917 endfield sporter in a 375-06 . They did an aweome job on that rifle.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
When I zoom into the first picture all I get is blur.
I see two large blurry areas on the ring side and I am curious...

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
published loads for the 358, by winchester, can be found here
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38457 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
great caliber. what does it weigh

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
great caliber. what does it weigh

Just got it on a scale today. It was a fairly accurate food scales with 15 lb capacity. On that it showed 8lbs 9 oz.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty neat rifle there Jim ..

Question ..
Where in Central PA do you live ???
I'm in Union Co , not far from Mifflinburg ...

Give me a shout sometime soon !!

Thanks

Posts: 343 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am real close! Live in Penns Creek!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I'm still curious about those markings on the left side of the receiver that are blurred in the photo.
I just get curious about Mauser markings; it's a disease.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm still curious about those markings on the left side of the receiver that are blurred in the photo.
I just get curious about Mauser markings; it's a disease.

Oh i am sorry, I did not understand what you were after!!! You want the original markings of the gun?!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will see if I can get better pictures of that for you provided you tell me what you can about the gun! I am pretty sure in the top of the receiver it said K98. I do not know much about Mausers, just had this one that somebody had sporterized before I got it, figured it would be a nice action to build off of.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
James, if it shoots as good as it looks your going to be one happy camper! Great looking rifle with really nice wood. My Ruger M77 shoots SGK really well with the load info suggested by James Barsness using TAC. He has also used TAC with 250 grain bullets which I hope to try in the next few weeks.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes I will tell you all about it once I see the markings.
Doubt if it is actually a K98 though. Looks like a large ring of some ilk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here you go dpcd. Hope this gives you what you need!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle.What make of stock?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richards

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, it is, or was, a German KAR 98 (K98s are Polish), originally what most collectors call the 98a carbine. Small ring, large thread. Not common these days. Made from early 1900s through WW1. Made at Danzig, Erfurt and Spandau. Easy to spot by the big stacking hook on the front of the stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I assume they are ok to be shooting at 358 Win pressures? And is there a way i can actually find what year it was built?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The year is on top of the receiver ring. Most are made during 1916-1918.
Are they OK for 358s? Personally I would stay with moderate hand loads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC it said 1918 on the top

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, it is, or was, a German KAR 98 (K98s are Polish), originally what most collectors call the 98a carbine. Small ring, large thread. Not common these days. Made from early 1900s through WW1. Made at Danzig, Erfurt and Spandau. Easy to spot by the big stacking hook on the front of the stock.

Just curious, how can you tell it has the large threads?

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James Yoder:
quote:

Just curious, how can you tell it has the large threads?

Experience. That and the fact that all the Kar98 & K98 polish variants were small ring / large thread receivers.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Actually it is because I have X ray vision and I can see through the receiver ring and look at the threads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not challenging you here. It was a genuine question

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I know it was.