Find
Notify
Tools

270 wsm 130gr Triple shock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted
Has anybody tried this bullet on elk? I really like how the 130 shoots out of my model 70 but I am hesitant to try it without hearing some reports first. I've heard that with the Barnes' you should be light for caliber though too.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
That combo should work great.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got a cow at 360 yds this year with 130 TSX out of a .260 AI @ 2730 MV. Gave her two, just because she got up after falling twice from the first. Both through the lungs - just opposite sides. She was dead from either one, I just don't like them walking away from where I shoot them.

You didn't say what velocity you are pushing your's in that WSM, but if it's really fast, don't be surprised if you rip the petals off!

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
Would love to try it but couldn't get the TSX to shoot well. Rifle is A-bolt with 23" bbl. Lots of folks around here shoot that bullet from a standard 270 with good results. Up here, most elk are killed under 200' because th country is thick timber.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gvg,
go for it
that 130 tsx or 140 tsx or 150 tsx
would do you proud.
reloader 22 would be my 1st choice.
last year i loaded my 270 win with 130 xlc at 3175 fps they shot .35 inch at 100 yds 3-shot groups.
regards Wink

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt Idahos black holes in thick timber..I don't want any light for caliber bullet...I would and have used the 160 gr. Nosler with great results on elk..but prefer a heavy rifle these days. If your hunting sagebrush then that bullet should work OK, but I would opt for the 150 gr. myself...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Where I am going to be hunting is on the Ft. Belknap reservation. I will be around the little rockies but just north of the Missouri breaks. The hunt could be out on the flats in the sagebrush but unless we get a cold snap here soon I will be up in the trees.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the 130gr tsx in my 270win. and I have to say they work great on elk. Penetration has been through-and-through, and the on-game impact is noticebly better than other bullets I've used.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote