Notify
Tools

stupid question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted
considering doing another custom build. One question:

If I found a Remington 700 short action that has a Winchester .308 bolt face, is it possible to have it chambered to shoot a 7mm-08 if it were to have a new barrel put on it? I am not strictly limited to shoot only a .308 am I?

Also, anyone have any reservations about purchasing separate bottom metals for it? From what I have found, it is virtually impossible to find a complete action with the bottom metal, magazine box, spring and follower.

I have found a place online where I can purchase a new action in the white, but it IS NOT cheap!! I have had other suggest that I found a used rifle off the shelf and strip it down to the action, pull off the barrel and go from there. others have said it is not wise to do so.

Let me know what you guys would recommend.

Posts: 602 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Re barreling a 308 to a 7-08 is simple and straightforward. A new barrel/chamber is all you need. Easily done.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, actions are hard to get nowadays; I buy used rifles and throw away what I don't want.
And yes, rebarreling a 308 for 7-08 is the simplest rebarrel of all. A 308 bolt face is for a .473 case; anything based on the original 7x57 Mauser case head. Of course if you wanted a 30-06 on a short action it would he a single shot, but the bolt face is the same.
Advice; long actions are easier to get.
Oh, not a stupid question; and there are such things, contrary to the old saying....

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yes, actions are hard to get nowadays; I buy used rifles and throw away what I don't want.
And yes, rebarreling a 308 for 7-08 is the simplest rebarrel of all. A 308 bolt face is for a .473 case; anything based on the original 7x57 Mauser case head. Of course if you wanted a 30-06 on a short action it would he a single shot, but the bolt face is the same.
Advice; long actions are easier to get.
Oh, not a stupid question; and there are such things, contrary to the old saying....

Concerning stupid questions, DPCD is your man. If any one can answer one, he can.

I apologize profusely. Could not resist poking fun at an old friend. I answer stupid questions too, and have been known to ask a few.

Roger

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
RA is a comedian in his spare time.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
A wise man once told me that there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed. I question anyone to say that they have never said something that they later regretted.

Posts: 4187 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Guys. DPCD- I sent you a PM, sir...

Posts: 602 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
I was in a similar situation a few years ago, I wanted a rifle in 250 Savage. Couldn't afford a new rifle in that cartridge, so I found a Savage 10 in 243. Bought a barrel and tools and swapped barrels.
In your case the Remington 700 takes a bit more to swap barrels but a used rifle for the action is often cheaper than just an action.
As far as the cartridge any cartridge built off the 308 case can fit a 308 action. A 7mm08 will be an easy swap.

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
Indeed. I question anyone to say that they have never said something that they later regretted.

"When is your baby due?"

I'M NOT PREGNANT!"

Oh, but here is one that I have said-

"I met your husband once"

"That's my Dad!"

Hard one to recover from.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the dumbest come from my wife----WHO WOODA THUNK IT!

#1 During a power outage she pulls the chain to activate the through the wall Kitchen fan (old style)

Does that fan run on electricity?

My gentle and caring answer----NO IT'S A F*^*IN' WIND UP!

#2 Wife---Is that whole thing an island?

Again my sensitive answer-----No just the top half, the bottom half is a reef!

Hip

Posts: 1818 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like wife #3 may be on the way soon !!! lol

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I was at a work Christmas Party and a person who stays at home with on his horse farm comes out and brings his wife who is all dressed up. "One of the wives says to her wow I think you've lost weight" Her husband responds drily, "Look behind you, you'll find it" I slunk back into the wall thinking omfg there will be a shooting tonight

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote