THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Short, light, accurate.308 Win - which?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short, light, accurate.308 Win - which?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
What twist is ideal for this barrel...if I want to shoot 165 and 180 monos but also 165 Accubonds/Partitions as the main fodder?

Thought^^^

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36479 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do you need such a light rifle to sit in a blind ? A short 308 makes sense, but a meaty barrel and an extra pound all up would be much much better and easier to shoot well and wouldn't have the potential downsides of a front light set-up.
I use a Blaser K95 with a 20.5" 308 barrel for the same purpose and it is perfect. Although it is light, the barrel isn't light and it holds well.

Tikka LTR or a Howa would be good choices.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by secondtry:
Why do you need such a light rifle to sit in a blind ? Doesn't sound like mountain climbing.
A short 308 makes sense, but a meaty barrel and an extra pound all up would be much better and easier to shoot well, and wouldn't have the potential downsides of a front light set-up.
I use a Blaser K95 with a 20.5" 308 barrel for the same purpose and it is perfect. Although it is light, the barrel isn't light and it holds well.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .308 is a Mauser M-18 and it shoots dime sized groups at 100yds with factory ammo, namely Hornady SSTs in 150grs. It's certainly light, and short enough for my liking. Mauser did quite well with these. If only they would chamber them in 7x57. I'd buy another.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do you need such a light rifle to sit in a blind ? A short 308 makes sense, but a meaty barrel and an extra pound all up would be much much better and easier to shoot well and wouldn't have the potential downsides of a front light set-up.

K95 is exactly what I use in rut when shots can be anytime and not mainly in low light.

I also used a steyr ssg69 in 308. heavy rifle with a long barrel but worked perfectly well.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Christensen Arms Ridgeline is a lightweight carbon wrapped barrel rifle starts at 6.3 pounds. Very nice rifles. My son and one of his hunting buddies recently bought the Ridgeline in a 6.5x284 and my son's is a 28 Nosler. I went out with them to sight in the rifles and both grouped well under 3/4 inch. It comes chambered in 308 and 7mm/08 also.
Scott

Posts: 413 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hogfarmer:
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Remington model 660. All up its under seven pounds with a twenty inch barrel.

mine is a remington 600. Shorter barrel I think?

If I remember correctly, 18.5" for the original 600, 20" for the later 660 and 600 Mohawk.

Yes 18.5" for the models 600 & Mohawk and 20" for the model 660.

Way under rated rifles except by those who own them. Probably the reason why they don't come on the market very often.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well I want it for multipurpose use. But I am going to be hunting leopard in a situation where we must walk a decent pace in the dark without light and get into a tight blind at close quarters and wait. I have done it before in this place and situation and wished for something much more handy than my standard M70 .375. Of course the rifle will be used for other.

I have a Remington 600 Mohawk that I like all except the plastic rib. Wish I had the version Roger has above. It is the rifle that inspired me to get another similar.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36479 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Seems like there were more H-S Precision and Model 70s on Gunbroker when I was picking up the 308s I have. Still there is a tendency for some manufacturers to make the 308 into a heavy "sniper" rifle.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rib on the Mohawk can be removed and set screws placed in the holes. We did it on XP-100’s all the time.

One rifle I would give consideration to is the Steyr Scout but with a scope mounted in the conventional location vs. the forward mount. You can cut additional weight on it by removing the bipod and I really like the 3 point “Ching Sling” system.

I have one in Scout configuration and it’s been a great rifle for me. I can carry it all day and never notice. The spare magazine in the stock means I don’t have to try and remember which jacket pocket I stuffed the spare ammo into and also means a spare magazine is in attendance should something ever happen to the first one on a trip. The spacers to adjust the LOP are another handy feature.

Mine happens to love 165 Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and will shoot 1” groups if I put a regular scope on it so I can remove any aiming errors.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1025 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve already recommended the Browning X-Bolt, but another great lightweight .308 is the Winchester Model 100 semi-auto. Just some thoughts.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
BLR isn't a bad choice either.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well I want it for multipurpose use. But I am going to be hunting leopard in a situation where we must walk a decent pace in the dark without light and get into a tight blind at close quarters and wait. I have done it before in this place and situation and wished for something much more handy than my standard M70 .375. Of course the rifle will be used for other.

I have a Remington 600 Mohawk that I like all except the plastic rib. Wish I had the version Roger has above. It is the rifle that inspired me to get another similar.

Gotcha ! That makes sense. Even for walk around use, a few extra ounces in the barrel of a short, light rifle will do wonders for the balance and steadiness without getting away from your lightweight goal.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Even though I like my Rem 660 another one mentioned here earlier I wouldn't mind owning is the new Winchester m70 compact. I tried to locate one for my wife but the only places that had them were online. This was before all the election hording took place. I prefer to handle a rifle before buying or in this case have her handle it.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Look again at the Model Seven. Mine is in .308 Win, old-school lami Schnabel stock, 20 inch barrel, and now lives with my oldest boy in NM. I bought it for tree stand and ground blind work and it's awesome for this. Handy, powerful and light. No fun with extended range work, but what do you expect from a lightweight?

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
How about a older Remington 788?

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colorado Bob:
How about a older Remington 788?

Funny you mention that. I know where one is for-sale. They have those rear locking lugs and I was always skeptical of them. Can you or anyone tell me about them?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
My buddy has one in 22/250----It's scary accurate. The general info is that it has a fast trigger loc time. I've been told that some bench rest shooter use the action on their rebuilds. I wouldn't worry about the rear locking----I would been more concerned about the Remington safety. As with the 700 many have changed to Timney

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Tikka T3x lite chopped to 18-20” would be an easy way to get to the goal.

I use a M77 RSI 308 in a Ruger synthetic stock for that task. Though it is a bit heavier than is needs to be.

Posts: 160 | Registered: 19 September 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
My buddy has one in 22/250----It's scary accurate. The general info is that it has a fast trigger loc time. I've been told that some bench rest shooter use the action on their rebuilds. I wouldn't worry about the rear locking----I would been more concerned about the Remington safety. As with the 700 many have changed to Timney

Bought it on your report—will give you a shooting report. It was dirt cheap and in good shape.

Still gonna buy another more precision made.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
The 788 is a good rifle. I was worried about the availability of replacement mags if I ever had an issue with the one I had. But there are so many rifles using plastic mags these days it was probably a non-issue that I was overthinking.

Have fun with the new rifle!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Bought it on your report—will give you a shooting report. It was dirt cheap and in good shape.

Still gonna buy another more precision made.

Good choice. I wouldn't worry about a more "precise" rifle. The 788's may not look fancy but I doubt you will find one much better in practical terms.

Either way, have fun with your new rifle(s)!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Give us a report after you have shot it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What twist is ideal for this barrel...if I want to shoot 165 and 180 monos but also 165 Accubonds/Partitions as the main fodder?

10 twist should be sufficient. Even a 1 in 11" with 165's is fine (I shoot 180 gr CT Failsafe in my 11 twist).
1 in 10" is pretty standard and will do the job.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ledvm,

You're a most wise hunter.

I wish I had a lightweight .308 Win carbine. I wouldn't need another North American big game rifle.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I placed an order today for a H-S Precision 20” 1-10 twist barreled PHL.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did they give you an estimated delivery date??

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1282 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EMP3:
ledvm,

You're a most wise hunter.

I wish I had a lightweight .308 Win carbine. I wouldn't need another North American big game rifle.

That's a far too sensible theory. In practice it won't happen. I have a couple and it didn't work for me Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my Savage mod. 99F (1950s) in .308 with a 4X Leupold..fits on a horse better than anything else. I also have a pre 64 mod 70 fwt. 30-06 to pack around in the Idaho high country when Im on foot..but they come in .308 if you prefer..

A real dandy 308 is a lt. wt. Ruger 77 with a RJ Renner overhaul, thats what my 7x57 is and its my all time favorite rifle..and it won't break the bank, I can send you a picture of mine to your email, or look him up on the internet..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
A Sako Forrester is a great trim rifle or A Kimber Montana in 308,,either would be a good pick.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A Sako Forrester

Only took 2 pages and 69 posts. Classy and classic rifles, whats not to love.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
quote:

Did they give you an estimated delivery date??

Well, that is the one if factor. One guy said 3-5 months, one guy said 6-8 months, and one guy in sales told 6-9 months but 1 of his customers took a year. Eeker

I really would like to have it this summer to work up loads...we’ll see. I have more rifles than Carter has pills...so won’t miss opportunity for lack of it. Rifles are scarce right now and after looking on the net and all my local for a month for a suitable one to modify...I decided I had put my order in and if I found another...I would have 2.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lane,
I sent your email some pictures of my RJ Remmer, its the ideal .308 IMO, except mine is a 7x57, but what he can do with a std stock model Ruger is amazing and half the cost of a custom rifle..
Ray

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41812 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote