THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Short, light, accurate.308 Win - which?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short, light, accurate.308 Win - which?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I want a short, light, accurate .308 Win. Thinking of just going to one of the semi-custom builders like H-S Precision.

Anyone want to make any recommendations or have one they want to sell?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36546 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kimber that is scary accurate, but I guess not all are.
Rem model 7 is short and light, but the balance is not as good as the kimber for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How lite.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kimber 84 Classic select in .308 It weighs 5 lbs 10 Oz without a scope. The gun will put 5 Hornady Superperformance 150 grain factory loads into 3/4 inch routinely and without cooling down between shots. I put some loads together for it using a Sierra Game Changer and it just got better. It came from the factory with a really stiff bolt and some timing issues that made the safety hard to engage. I called Kimber customer service. They emailed me a shipping label to their new facility in Alabama, I sent it on Monday and had it back by Saturday the same week and it functions perfectly now.

I also have an Montana 84M in .257AI It started life as a 7-08 and threw shotgun size patterns 4" or so. Kimber replaced the barrel with a 257 Roberts barrel that shoots exceptionally well. (they were out of 7-08 barrels and it would have been 2-3 months before their next run) SO they offered me several other options...

The bad news is both guns had to go back. The good news is Kimber handled it promptly, professionally, and to my satisfaction at no cost other than a small amount of time. Both guns are about as light as you can make a bolt action rifle and they are both more accurate than you can expect from a thin barrel on a light gun. Of course the current problem is they aren't available because Kimber, being in NY, has shut down completely for almost a year...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear great things about Steyr's Scout rifle accuracy wise. But I don't think its a sub five pound rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Tikka Battue rifle. Accurate 20 in barrel. One of the best off the shelf rifles

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
how light and ... well, let's talk accuracy .. if you want 3 shot groups, light rifles MAY do okay .. 5 shot? it's going to get hot... 9 shots? it'll spray

if you are talking cold bore on target, which is MY favorite attribute of any rifle, then i would recommend a savage . i personally have the axis XP stainless, at about 7#

the 110 ultralite comes in at 5.8

the 110 lightweight storm comes in at 5.6 -and accutrigger

at 795 list price, it's a steal

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Hunting in a tight noisy blind close (50-100 yds) to quarry. Sometimes long-waits so will lean rifle against the front of the blind and read.

Looking for dependable, repeatable cold-barrel 1st shot accuracy with 2 follow-up shots within an inch.

Thus ~7.5# with Swarovski Z6i added and 20” barrel.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36546 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Styer Scout Rifle very hard to beat.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Hunting in a tight noisy blind close (50-100 yds) to quarry. Sometimes long-waits so will lean rifle against the front of the blind and read.

Looking for dependable, repeatable cold-barrel 1st shot accuracy with 2 follow-up shots within an inch.

Barrett Fieldcraft fits the bill perfectly if you can get one!

Posts: 388 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HS Precision SPL

Remington Model 7 KS

Steyr Scout

Blaser R8

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
After talking to H-S Precision...think I would go with the PHL.

Only problem is the wait time 5-7 monnths. Frowner

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you're looking for something wood and blued and a little nicer, but for the short, light, accurate role I bought a .308 Ruger American Predator model. Stock is a little flimsy, but comfortable to shoot and it still shoots lights out even when it's on a bag and the stock touches the barrel.

It's threaded and has a picatinny mount. Really light and accurate. V block bedded. 60 degree bolt throw. Probably not what you're looking for, though.

Tikka T3 is similar in accuracy. A little longer/maybe less handy, but the stock ergonomics are great. Can get it in wood. Doesn't have the safety blade on the front of the trigger.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have many of these. My favorite is the Ruger scout. More accurate than the Steyr (at least the examples I have) and cheaper

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Tikka T3x Compact in .308.

I want one. But until I find one my BLR .308 handles that spot nicely

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Steyr Scout rifle for a couple of years and it was a laser with Hornady 150 gr. Superperformance just like my Kimber and like my Kimber it wasn't sensitive to the barrel heating up. Its kinda quirky in its design. But completely functional. It does have an alloy receiver with a Steel barrel extension much like an AR in concept. But lightweight, accurate and handy....yep. I also owned a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle and its receiver was warped and had to go back to Ruger and they replaced the entire rifle. The new one shot exceptionally well but not as well as the Steyr version and of course the Ruger falls way short when it comes to comparative weight.... But short, and accurate it was. I've just had bad luc with lots of Rugers of all kinds the last dozen years or so. Of the 7 or 8 Ruger guns I purchased over that time I've had to send all but one back and they completely replaced 4 of them... Great customer service, very prompt. But damn...

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have one of the lightweight H-S rifles in .308, got it from a dealer on Gunbroker a few years ago. Just don't run a lot of rounds through the barrel at one time in hot weather. It's been good for me and my kids have also used it on occasion.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
HS Precision SPL

Remington Model 7 KS

Steyr Scout

Blaser R8

The blaser r8 success with pistol grip is the single best blind gun.

It’s short (all blasers are short even with 22 inch barrels because of direct locking in barrel.) best ergonomic stock.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the old Ruger boat paddle would sure fit the bill, I use mine as a back pack rifle.
the Hawkeye I have in 358 is a close second and about the same weight.
but the boat paddle is stainless and not coated so it get's the nod when I'm dragging it out for a week or so with everything else I'm gonna drag around the mountains, and can't predict the weather.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NULA.

But it’s a wait and spendy.

My Steyr scout is nice, but not hyper accurate.

I have a kimber in 300 WSM. Light, handy, but not what I would call accurate- 1.5 MOA with loads it likes. I know some folks with really accurate examples, but it seems a crap shoot.

I have a SCAR in .308 that surprises me with its accuracy- but another expensive and hard to find.

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Remington model 660. All up its under seven pounds with a twenty inch barrel.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Christensen Arms Ridgeline

Or

Weatherby TI

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The PHL is a good choice. I would go with the Browning Micro Stalker. Any of the Browning Micros (Medallion, Hunter or Stalker) are very accurate right out of the box and they won't break the bank.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

With that as the criteria, go with whatever floats your boat since there's never been a (modern) rifle built that won't shoot well enough to do that.

Even the "dogs" rifles will shoot 2" groups at 100 and that will damn sure kill a deer.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:

I used a 600 in 308 for many years. It was compact, light, accurate and packed a nice punch.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the Browning X-Bolt is perfect for what you’re looking for.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Have you handled the H-S Precision? I'm not too far away. Mine was cerakoted after I bought it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Barrett Fieldcraft if you can find one.

Styer Scout would be my second choice.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It’s hard to beat a Rifles, Inc. from Lex down in Pleasanton. Some make them light, some make them accurate, Lex does both or it isn’t leaving the shop.

He will also be the man building it and will talk to you.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:

mine is a remington 600. Shorter barrel I think?

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
No mention made yet of the Howa. I don't own one myself, but have friends that absolutely love theirs.
No frills and not so pretty, but functional and accurate.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son is student at Texas A&M. Since middle school he has had a couple HS Precision rifles, a SPL in 7mm-08 and a PHL in 300 H&H. He shoots both rifles really well. The 7mm-08 is really light.

He has taken these rifles in Africa on 4 hunts. Our PHs absolutely loved those rifles. We did a leopard hunt in Zambia. We had to shoot a lot of bait. The PH went out of his way to grab the 7mm-08 no matter who was shooting.

HS Precision makes an accurate rifle.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
Have you handled the H-S Precision? I'm not too far away. Mine was cerakoted after I bought it.

I have kind of settled on ordering a H-S PHL. I might take you up on that Charles.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
What twist is ideal for this barrel...if I want to shoot 165 and 180 monos but also 165 Accubonds/Partitions as the main fodder?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Let me know. I use the Nosler Trophy Grade with the 165 grain Accubonds.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Of course it's out of stock everywhere now... Roll Eyes

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I also picked up one of these for the girls to shoot. M70 Classic Compact .308. Been a couple of years since I had the chance to shoot it though.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
I also picked up one of these for the girls to shoot. M70 Classic Compact .308. Been a couple of years since I had the chance to shoot it though.

You don’t want to part with that one^^^ do you?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:

mine is a remington 600. Shorter barrel I think?

If I remember correctly, 18.5" for the original 600, 20" for the later 660 and 600 Mohawk.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:

You don’t want to part with that one^^^ do you?

No, it's for my girls. Plus it has a shorter LOP because it is the compact model. Just saying you might find a donor and get it modified to your tastes. For my money the H-S Precision stocks feel better than the McMillan.