Tools

338X62?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
From what I have read the 210 NP was originally designed for the higher impact speed of magnum 338s so it is tougher. Thus, one can have his cake and eat it, too with the 210 in 338-06. I imagine a 250 at 2400 fps or so would penetrate to tomorrow on most non DG critters.

Just like the 318 Westley Richards did. Other than .008” of bullet diameter, they are identical.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Yup. I have a pristine M70 LH Classic waiting to be turned into one of these. I also have a nice magnum action which would pair nicely as a 416 Taylor. Need to get some other things out of the way first, though.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Two forum members I don't see around anymore were FredJ maybe and FN in MT both of whom had quite a bit of experience and good things to say about the round.

I miss FredJ338's contributions. Anyone know what happened? Haven't seen him on AR for quite a while.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really need another .338 that will confuse the sales clerk at your local cabelas when buying components then save yourself the bother of custom reamers and import a factory 8,5x63 Reb - a necked up and improved Brenneke case with factory rounds and ammo in one part of the world.

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well all of this is interesting and good converstation and information, but whats been left out is the perfect 9.3 caliber has not been mention and that is the 9.3x64, it just the ultimate case for big bore wildcats IMO..Ive only had one 9.3x64 in my lifetime and I really liked it, but back then brass was hard to come by, in fact all but impossible, not so today brass is available..Were it necked down to .338 would be interesting as well, and would calm down the belted case haters, but perhaps an excersise in futility as most of todays wildcats are..The 9.3x64 just fills all the bills without contamination it seems..

BUT ONLY IF YOU REALIZE, WILDCATTING COST IS NOT IN A WILDCATTERS DNA, THEY ONLY THINK IN TERMS OF HISTORICAL FAME AND FORTUNE..shooo, don't tell them otherwise or you will forever be scorned.. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bluefish,
I destroyed a couple of 210 bullets, one being a Nosler partition on elk out of a .338 win at 2913 FPS. Ive had perfect expansion with the same bullet in the .338-06. but I have to qualify I shot a heck of a lot of game with the 210 before the failure with the Nosler, so??? That said and being an unforgiving soul I went with the 225 gr. Nosler partition and Accubonds at about the same MV, and never a problem..

The failed partition killed the elk with a 25 yard run and all I recovered was a thin wedding ring of jacket, and awesome internal damage..so failure may not be the correct word in this case.The range was about 50 to 75 yards so the bullet took the full impact..The other failure was a Barnes X early on.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can hit nearly 2500with my 9.3x62 done up by dpcd with a 286 nosler. What am I missing then?

"nearly 2500 with my 9.3 x 62" Eeker

I'm at over 2600 fps from the 286 Nosler! Cool

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 845 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
But what does the extra 100 +/- fps give you Bob? With a good bullet and proper placement how is the critter more deader?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sambarman, and others,
If I wanted a great .338 Win, I would use the .338 Win....if I wanted a great 9.3x62 that's what I go with!! cross breeding doesn't usually work that well in guns, only in cows and horses..All else is twaddle! sofa

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of the .338 cal especially on elk. I wanted a light weight elk rifle for mountain hunting. I'm currently having Duane Wiebe build me a .338WinMag on a g33/40 action with a Lothar Walther mauser contour barrel. Should have a lighter weight mountain rifle that retains the full ballistic capability of the 338WinMag.....after all we carry the rifle a lot more than we shoot it.

Posts: 222 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But what does the extra 100 +/- fps give you Bob? With a good bullet and proper placement how is the critter more deader?

In a wilderness of NW Ontario, 1600 Ks from home on a bull moose hunt without an outfitter, 75 yards extra can make the difference between a bullet expanding, or not, at 400 to 500 yds, and that depending on whether the 286 Nosler is arriving to destination at over 1800 fps or less than 1700 fps.

My load is good for a mature bull at 500 yards, making over 1800 fps and 2100 ft-lbs.

I did that trip 4x. I learned the area on the first trip with a younger friend. On the second trip it was I and my second son. We had 1 and 1/2 days for scouting prior to opening day.On the day before the hunt we saw a cow moose out at about 250 yards. She had a calf with her. Where there's a cow and a calf, there's likely a bull. The next day (opening day) I shot the bull in the afternoon and we were on our way home the following day.

The bull was shot at 165 yards using my .340 Wby. But the point is, I learned a lot about that country and possibly shots -- it could be in thick brush/timber or old (or new) clear cuts. Moose were crossing those clear cuts, as sometimes they were well past 500 yards. The 340 Wby load was more than adequate, but it got sold and replaced by a more compact and lighter 9.3 x 62.

"Get closer"? Not very likely in that area with lakes, streams, bogs, ridges and clear cuts... and one mature bull in 25 sq miles. You'd have to experience it to realise that if there's a shot at all, you take it. Because in trying to follow a bull in that stuff is impossible. They can walk through anything faster than we could run! And if we run they may take to running at 25 mph!

I consider the 9.3 x 62 the equal to, or better than any mid-bore rifles I've owned including .338 Win Mags, .35 Whelens, .350 Ren Mags, and basically the same as the 9.3 x 64 and .375 H&H in factory fodder. If we do ballistic profiles, there is the truth glaring us in the face.

Phil Shoemaker has as much or more experience than most who consider themselves xperts, and he has stated more than once that he sees no difference in effect on the big bears from a .375 H&H, a .338 Win Mag, or a 9.3 x 62. And a few more could be added to that. He mostly loads his own and knows a thing or two about ballistics.

I load my 9.3 x 62 the same as I load a .338 Win... to the same pressure, as the exact same rifle as mine was chambered in the .338 Win Mag. And the brass is just as strong.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 845 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Push comes to shove with me, I will no doubt settle on te old 9.3x62, its the best caliber on a 30-06 size (more or less) out there...Ive killed Buffalo with it and damned if I can tell any difference it it and the .375 H&H..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to add logic and skip the "I need one of these" the just buy a 9.3x62 and shoot the 300 gr. Swifts in it at the same recommended 2400 to 2500 with the 300 gr. 375 H&H or Ruger..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120