Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk to me about the 375 ruger
 Login/Join

posted
I like my mid bores.i hunt mostly with a 35 whelen or 338wm.

I’ve got a 338wm Winchester Classic barreled action that I’m looking to do something with.
375 Ruger?

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
This discussion was hashed over here about 13 years ago pretty well. A search should turn up lots of info and perspective.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a great caliber, and making inroads to the great 375 H&H, over which it just has more to offer if you can give up nostalgia! I can't, but I realize the benefits of modern .375 Ruger.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Why not .375 RUM?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
It's a great round and quickly surpassed the H&H version as THE guides rifle of choice.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, quite an endorsement from two fellas that have been there and done it from Ray & Phil.

I love this round as well. It's made in a standard length action instead of the magnum H&H round. It throws 300 gr. bullets 100 fps faster than the H&H. The Ruger rifle weighs about 1-2 lbs. lighter than an H&H.

I bought two of the original Rugers before they added the muzzle brakes in walnut and blue steel for Africa, and just recently bought one of the original grey laminate/SS models without a muzzle brake for wet conditions like Alaska if I can manage a hunt there some day. Both models have great open sights and barrel mounted sling swivels, which I prefer.

One hell of a good idea and a great round on some well thought out rifles from Ruger.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
factory ammo compares better with the 375 wetaherby than the HH, as it has roughly the same capacity and is loaded to the same pressure as the webby

BUT

it fits in a standard action, which one can see, from the carts in my signature, i am kind of biased to that feature ---

down side? proprietary brass, and ammo isn't common ... but, in the US of A, i've seen MANY more boxes of 375 ruger on the shelf than 375 hh

it works, it's simple, and you can buy the top of the works ruger for less than the action to build a "proper" HH on

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38383 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love mine ...300 gn nosler partition @ 2700 and a 260 @3000fps

Posts: 1475 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the classic model 70 is so long, I’d just remove the magazine block, replace the bolt stop and go H&H. There are still, and probably always will be, more 375 H&H loads available worldwide. If it were a pre-64, Standard Mauser or other ‘06 length action, then I’d go with the 375 Ruger. I’m also with Ray on the irrational Nostalgia thing. I hate to see old classic that have always worked as intended get replaced.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
It's a great round and quickly surpassed the H&H version as THE guides rifle of choice.

I a curious why you say that Phil?

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NOw lets not go overboard, the old H&H ain't dead yet!! Roll Eyes old

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too, am with Ray on the nostalgia thing, but I would hate to see a wonderful idea like the 375 Ruger die to the same emotion. There is room for both rounds/rifles.

I took my last Buffalo in Zambia last year with my Dakota Safari 375 H&H. Like Ray, I can't resist great old calibers. I had my 404 Jeffery on that Safari as well, but the H&H was scoped and the distance called for its use.

To me, the great thing about the 375 Ruger is the size/weight of the Ruger rifles made for the round, which is every bit the equivalent and more, of the great 375H&H.

Kudos to Hornady and Ruger!

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
I too, am with Ray on the nostalgia thing, but I would hate to see a wonderful idea like the 375 Ruger die to the same emotion. There is room for both rounds/rifles.

I took my last Buffalo in Zambia last year with my Dakota Safari 375 H&H. Like Ray, I can't resist great old calibers. I had my 404 Jeffery on that Safari as well, but the H&H was scoped and the distance called for its use.

To me, the great thing about the 375 Ruger is the size/weight of the Ruger rifles made for the round, which is every bit the equivalent and more, of the great 375H&H.

Kudos to Hornady and Ruger!

Infidel......hahahahahaha

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will give you the short of it.

I have 2 375 Ruger rifles.

An older African wo muzzle brake, A laminated stocked SS with 23 inch barrel, and Ruger No.1.

I have killed turkeys with high neck shots, whitetail, my largest Euro Boar, and an elk.

All shots exited with large, bleeding wounds.

The load was just the 270 grain spire point Hornady load.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The 375 H&H is not likely to ever be completly gone. Neither is the 300 H&H.
But My prediction is that the 375 Ruger will eventually supplant the long, oversized, 375 H&H just as the 300 Win supplanted the 300 H&H.

And for all the same reasons .

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 375 H&H's and 375 Rugers of various barrel lengths. The 375 Ruger is my favorite .375 for hunting.

If I would have had the 375 Rugers first, it is very doubtful that I would own a 375 H&H except for the previously mentioned nostalgia.

The 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger are well designed cartridges for my use. They are my favorites above .338 caliber. The 375 H&H and 416 Remington are in the running but second to these two Ruger cartridges.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But My prediction is that the 375 Ruger will eventually supplant the long, oversized, 375 H&H just as the 300 Win supplanted the 300 H&H.

Don't agree Smiler

The 300 H&H and 300 Winchester combo is a very different thing. The 300 Winchester came out when the blown out belted magnum was the thing and not just the 300 Wby but the 264, 7mm Remington and 338 Winchester. I could be completely wrong here but I don't remember the 300 H&H being chambered in the wide variety of rifles that the 375 H&H was chambered in and especially the post 63 M70 and Rem 700.

Another thing is the factory claimed ballistics for the 300 Winchester and 300 H&H at that time.

Also, I don't think the slightly better ballistics of the 375 Ruger will count for anything. Look at Weatherby, they chamber the 375 H&H in the Vanguard and different variations of the Mark V including the cheaper Synthetic. However, the 375 Wby not so, basically custom shop rifles.

Also I would bet my bottom dollar that the vast majority of rifles in 375 and up are not bought by people going to Alaska, Africa or Northern Territory of Australia. So the 375 Ruger being available in rifles deemed better for Alaska etc. won't count for much and I think the 338 Winchester picks up this area.

Then there is the custom rifles. While 99.99% of people don't get them they see or read about them. Ask D'Arcy Echols and Duane Wiebe how many 375 Rugers they have made. The 375 H&H is a headline calibre.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
quote:

Don't agree Smiler

The 300 H&H and 300 Winchester combo is a very different thing. The 300 Winchester came out when the blown out belted magnum was the thing and not just the 300 Wby but the 264, 7mm Remington and 338 Winchester. I could be completely wrong here but I don't remember the 300 H&H being chambered in the wide variety of rifles that the 375 H&H was chambered in and especially the post 63 M70 and Rem 700.

Another thing is the factory claimed ballistics for the 300 Winchester and 300 H&H at that time.

Also, I don't think the slightly better ballistics of the 375 Ruger will count for anything. Look at Weatherby, they chamber the 375 H&H in the Vanguard and different variations of the Mark V including the cheaper Synthetic. However, the 375 Wby not so, basically custom shop rifles.

Also I would bet my bottom dollar that the vast majority of rifles in 375 and up are not bought by people going to Alaska, Africa or Northern Territory of Australia. So the 375 Ruger being available in rifles deemed better for Alaska etc. won't count for much and I think the 338 Winchester picks up this area.

Then there is the custom rifles. While 99.99% of people don't get them they see or read about them. Ask D'Arcy Echols and Duane Wiebe how many 375 Rugers they have made. The 375 H&H is a headline calibre.

I know of at least one highly experienced African PH D'Arcy has built a 375 Ruger for, and he absolutely loves it.

And I am willing to bet Ruger has already sold more of its 375's than H&H has in the past 100 years.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
Why not .375 RUM?

The 375 RUM is a fake copy.

The real one is the 375/404 clap

The original.

Copied, never equaled rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:

You're probably right about the custom rifles. Also right that .375s (either) are not being bought by those who frequent AK, Aust, Africa.

Your conclusions don't translate as favoring the H&H tho.

Believe it or not .35 Whelen, 9.3x62, .358 Win, .338WM, .444 M, .45-70, etc are moderately popular here in ME among guys who get, or lust after, moose tags but mostly kill decent whitetails. Not custom rifle guys, we kinda like the idea of a $900 street price.

I was just about to spring for a discontinued M-77 Whelen when the .375 R got on my radar. No brainer, especially after appreciating how nimble the Guide/Alaskan models are. After using it couple of seasons, doubt I'll ever use a .300 again. Or want a Whelen.

Don't care whether the Ruger version exceeds the H&H over the chrono.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Well Sam count me amongst the clan using the 9.3x62 here on deer. Obviously effective. My friend has a Whelen and someone was recently selling a nice ss RUGER in 35 Whelen if I recall in the classified section.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thinking the .375 Ruger would also be a pleasant cast-bullet shooter, but then there are so many that are.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as FN continues to build Winchester Model 70s the H&H is not going away.

Just as many maybe more factory rifles are chambered for the 375 Ruger:

Ruger, Savage, Mossberg, Howa.

Winchester and Browning catalog the 375 HH.

Sako catalogs both.

Maybe not top self stuff. In this day and age quanity beats quality.

All majors are making very few of anything over 308.

The beauty of the Ruger case is the ballistics it reached in such a average sized case. No rebated rim, not too fat, no belt, not long. Just a normal case that kisses what use to take a Weatherby.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

And I am willing to bet Ruger has already sold more of its 375's than H&H has in the past 100 years.

Agree completely.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reckon the 375 Ruger takes more sales from the 338 Winchester.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent modern cartridge. A few years ago I had a Tika 7mm Rem mag laying around so I re barrelled it in 375RCM and re stocked it. Nice rig for long range moose in cut blocks, I think. Have not yet used it, however.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd cover any bets on this that Phil doesn't get around to!

I'd go so far to that that Ruger/275 Ruger has made seen more facotry rifles chambered since inception than all 375 HH, combined.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38383 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
The Mossberg Patriot can be had in this chambering for under $400, but I have heard they are horribly inconsistent in terms of accuracy. Could be rumor.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built a 375 Wby 15 years ago to go brown bear hunting with.
Stainless model 70 (originally 375 H&H) cut the barrel off to 24". new stock and bottom metal.New open sights.
Developed a load of H4350 pushing a 300 TSX at 2780 FPS @ 50F into way less than an 1" at 100.
Well, I am finally hitting the Peninsula in the Fall of 21.
Have had plenty of practice with that gun the past + decade. Going to good use.
Probably would have considered a 375 Ruger but they did not make them back then.
This one shoots great and shoots a 375H&H well enough if needed.
I will keep this one..

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
Why not .375 RUM?

The 375 RUM is a fake copy.

The real one is the 375/404 clap

The original.

Copied, never equaled rotflmo

Isn't the ballistics the same?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I I were buying a new 375 today, Id opt for the Ruger, but I sure wouldn't sell a good H&H to buy the Ruger..

AND, what I found out with the .375 is it performs best on buffalo with a 300 gr. bullet at 2500 FPS which is an underload to many on this board it seems, but in the field its perfect IMO, I tried it as Doctori and a few other PHs claimed such, and Doc being a vet should know, and they turned out to be spot on..

But aha! do I have some advise for them..The 350 gr. Woodleigh in a .375 at 2400 plus a tad is better than any other load in the .375s and walking tall on the 40 calibers.. dancing yehawww!

Well at least until you get to the 450 gr. Woodleigh in the 40 calibers! shocker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

I I were buying a new 375 today, Id opt for the Ruger,

I wouldn't as no M70, Rem 700 or Mark V. I hate the tiny recoil lug on Ruger actions with the angled screw and the tiny tang.

M70 and Rem 700 (and their copies) have the best bedding configuration.

375 H&H and M70 all the way unless it is a 378 Smiler

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
375 Ruger

375 H&H

Sorry guys, couldn't resist

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing Chuck; the pics say it all. Back to the topic, I am extremely fond of the 375 H+H + see no reason to change to the Ruger myself. And yes a lot of that attitude has to do with classic history. I even have a load worked up using R.N. bullets as I do with my other classic vintage calibers. But that's just me.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I bet that percapita Alaska has more 375 rifles than any other state and it seems to me that there are a lot of cheap used 375 H&H rifles being offered for sale, while the number of guides and asst guides looking for 375 Ruger rifles has been steadily increasing.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bet that percapita Alaska has more 375 rifles than any other state and it seems to me that there are a lot of cheap used 375 H&H rifles being offered for sale, while the number of guides and asst guides looking for 375 Ruger rifles has been steadily increasing.

I think a plus with the 375 Ruger is you can get a Made in America rife with CRF and it's cheap and there will be a large market for that.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
I think the 375 Ruger is a great development. Although it does't matter to me that it produces a little more velocity, the standard length action makes for a handier rifle. The Ruger Guide Gun I bought here on AR is a nice gun. Shoots well, not too heavy, compact enough to be very handy. I have the H&H in a Ruger No. 1, love that too, wouldn't part with it. Each is in the rifle that suits the character of the cartridge. Even if I wasn't hunting anything potentially dangerous, I'd likely take one of them on an African hunt. The 250 Barnes or the 260 Nosler Accubond are very effective for large plains game. Jan du Plesis in Namibia sure likes his 375 Ruger. He mentioned that it had really caught on with the PHs he knows.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned a Half dozen 375 H&H rifles and 1, 375 Ruger.
My personal observation has been that the Ruger has a little sharper faster recoil impulse than the H&H which seems to give a slow, firm shove.

I’m curious to other peoples observations and opinions about that. Granted I have a sample size of one with the Ruger in comparison to multiple manufacturers of the H&H, so perhaps it’s not a terribly accurate comparison, but my shoulder can tell the difference after just a few rounds.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every now and then you come across a little discovery with a cartridge that may expand its envelope a little.
It was suggested to me to look at load data using a Barnes 270 gr TSX (375 H&H).
It has a load of Ram Shot Big Game that droves that bullet in excess of 2800 FPS.
I tried this in my Kimber 89 375 H&H (24" pipe) and it did chrono 2840 FPS (Avg) with a very low std deviation.
That makes a pretty versatile offering. Flat shooting as an 06.
I do not believe a Ruger 375 Will push that bullet much if any faster.
I take published loads with a grain of salt but this one was spot on.
RL 15 was my powder of choice for the H&H for decades but I think I have found one that out performs it (Big Game for the 270 gr. and H4350 for 300 gr. bullets).
Same in my 375 Weatherby. H4350 just performed in these two 375 cartridges.
That Big Game/270 gr (H&H) load does recoil more than any I have noted but did not note and pressure issues.
Would seem like a great versatile Alaska load.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can only speak of Australia and I would say a high percentage of 375 Ruger sales have come at the expense of the 338, not the 375 H&H.