New
Find
Notify
Tools

356 Win
 Login/Join

<71 Win>
posted
Anyone have any experience with this round. How does it preform on game?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I've never owned one, but I used a friends' once when deer hunting (in a 94). Knocked the deer down like it was supposed to. I've used the 358 Win a lot, and this is a pretty close copy, so I would expect it to perform the same. The only problem with it is the need to use flat bullets because of the tubular mag. this limits bullet selection and downrange capability. Inside 150 yards though, it would work very well. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of killsoft
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester 94BB in 356. I have yet to try it on game, though. The 356 is mostly just a 358 with a rimmed cartridge and about 5% less powder capacity.

My experience is just with factory loads, as my garage is not quite done yet. Winchester 200gr shows 2350 and 250gr at about 2000 in my 20" barrel.

I imagine you can take any knowledge of game performance with the 35 Remington and move it out a few yards.

There is a recent thread about the 358 here:
http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001531.html

My 356 is now elevated to "premier pig smacker", taking the lead from an FN/FAL. I'll post back when I get a chance to try it out in the field.

Robb

Posts: 45 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For close the close cover hunting that I do I don't see the need for flat point bullets as a detriment. For my .358 Win I have bought 220 gr Flat Points and have a box of 180 Flat Points sitting at the store waiting for pick-up. If you believe in energy transfer that 220 should do it well. I have yet to use my .358 on game but I have no doubts about it's or the .356's ability. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of killsoft
posted Hide Post
BTW, there is a rather large thread on the 356 over at this forum:

http://beartoothbullets.com/cgi-bin/shoot/ikonboard.cgi?s=3c8c3e12183dffff;act=ST;f=7;t=390

Robb

Posts: 45 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote