Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra GameChangers = ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted
I followed up an old thread in the Reloading forum, but got no response (https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/4671039742

Where do these bullets fit in?
Accurate as other Sierras?
Toughness comparable to Hornady SSTs? Better than?
Any experience and opinion will be appreciated.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Gamechanger is basically a Balistic tip for long range game shooting, and tend to be a bit soft most of the time at close range...

The GameKing, and prohunter are excellent bullets out to 300 to 400 yards IMO. They used to be too soft, but due to complaints they must have toughened them up as I have found they are stouter than the same of yesteryear...They are better than most give credit for these days, some are still touting the soft issue for all Sierra bullets, and that's no longer the case, or so it has been in my recent experience on both Mule Deer, Whitetail, and pronghorns..I also know a number of locals that use them on elk..I also know the 200 gr. 300s, the 225 and 250 gr.BTSPS in the .338 Win. bullet work on elk very well indeed.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41780 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray.
I wonder if anyone else is using the GameChanger bullet. Sierra has lots of good medium strength bullets and so it is interesting that they thought there was a need to bring this one out.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am running the 130 GC in my 6.5PRC here in a couple weeks for MN deer. They are very accurate out of the PRC, 2x 260Rems, and a 6.5 creed. I have had fabulous luck with the 130 gr. HPBT Game Kings from the 260 with great accuracy and perfect terminal performance and hopefully these will open similarly. They are running at 2825 in the 260 and creed and just under 3200 in the PRC and are near 1/2 minute to 400 in all.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will stay with the Gamekings and pro hunter bullets until the gamechangers have been tested and proven by others...Ive always got by with Sierras, but they certainly are not my favorite bullets..they are super accurate as a rule..Ive shot some big stuff with them, and they work OK, but I prefer premium bullets with a soldered core or partition for big animals larger than deer. The Idaho locals like the game changer..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41780 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
I saw an ad for these bullets as Sierra loaded ammo. So I looked up what they where on the Sierra website.
This isn't an exact quote but close.
Sierra re-engineered their Match King bullet with a hollow tip for quick expansion then fitted a green tip for ballistic uniformity. Inside is a unique construction of a Special lead alloy with a tough copper jacket that delivers excellent penetration and expansion at a variety of ranges.
Sounds like bullet that should shoot well and perform well to ranges their Game King won't reach.
I'll probably not try it. Where I hunt and the ranges I'll see game cup and core bullets should work fine. I have some monumental bullets that I can use if I need something more.
I went back and checked things a bit closer. Looked up BC's,
.308 168 TMK BC .308 165 TGK
2650 up is .535 2680 up is .530
1650 to 2650 is .521 1300 to 2680 is .440
below 1650 is .480 below 1300 is .320
This puts it just a hair shy of the TMK for BC.
Being the TGK came from the MK line it should shoot very well.
This puts it's long range performance a step above their 165 SPT with a BC of .404 above 2400, .4091600 to 2400, .419 below 1600.
Leo

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't post pictures here but I can say these new bullets shoot as well as their Match Kings do in my rifles. I recently loaded up the 140gr .277 cal in my new 270Win. Two groups were fired and with one group I literally stack all three shots on top one another. Two through the same hole and cutting into the 1st hole. The second three shot group I should've let the barrel cool down as the group opened up to about 3/4"

I had to shoot a cow Elk at 320yds with a 165gr 7mm Game Changer. Shot was right between the eyes and it blew her brains out her ears and blew a large chunk of the spine out on exit. I know any bullet would more than likely do the same though.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
44: where do you find "monumental" bullets. They sound expensive! (sorry, couldn't resist Wink)

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
They look like a Sierra version of a Ballistic tip to me. Reviews praise their accuracy, which should be no surprise.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the 130 gr .264 Game Changers last year in my 6.5CM and 260 Remington to kill two deer. The nearest was with my .260 at about 80 yards and the longest was with the Creedmoor at about 280 yards (by my pace count--which is pretty accurate from my Army land nav days anyhow). Both were complete pass through shoulder shots and both were bang flops--no tracking. That's what I expect put of a bullet...so my limited exeperience with them has been positive. But I've never had a problem killing deer with any bullet--probably killed 35-40 head of big game on three continents with a plain ole' 130 grain Corelokt in my .270 WInchester. I'm not finicky about bullets and the Game changers aren't priced like a premium bullet--which I never buy. Sierra game kings kept my freezer filled with venison for a couple years back in the 90's when I was living on the farm, broke from a divorce and shooting my inexpensive handloads with GI brass in a borrowed milsurp 03A3... A box of 100 killed a lot of deer back then...LOL

one of us
posted Hide Post
Even today the Rem corelokt is one of the best bullets out there, Hornady, Speer, Sierra, are all good deer bullets, the game changes with elk, but not by much..I, personally like Nosler Accubonds and Partitions for elk in most calibers...but would still go with a corelokt without any doubts at all on elk..Killed too many elk with corelokts to ever shun them. A few early on with Hornadys Interlokts as well.

However even the latest corelokt has a bonded core!! and bonded core bullets just work, end of story...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray:

I used to feel the same way until 2000 when
I shot a cow elk at 200yards in the ribs.
Perfect hit. Surface blow up, took out 3 ribs
hole was about 2" x 9", didn't even enter the
near side of the lung. `180gr C/L in .300Win

At 200 yards it should have punched all the way
thru without a problem. Hell of is, I'd loaded
500 rounds for the camp, all the same batch.
All except one guy shoots the same cartridge.
Other guy shoots a 7mmag.

Last I hunted with them was '11 as I got sick
and haven't been since. Til that time they'd
killed 65 elk from that batch. Three were from
30-60 FEET in the timber. Bullets blew right
thru 'em. Never another problem with any of
them.

When that C/L blew up, I changed to GK's 200gr
as their guy told me to give them a try as
GK 200gr in .300's were "elk killers". I hunted
several years and never had a shot so can't
say how they work or don't.

Just my own "But Once" experience. And yes I've
killed several elk with C/L 180s over the years
too. Both in '06 and the 300 Win.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George,
Ive only used the corelokst in the 270, 30-06, 250 Savage and 30-30 best I recall, never had a failure, what I see here is these calibers tend to hang around at 2700 to 2800 fps, perhaps that's their design velocity, don't know..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120