THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    There's never been a better time........

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There's never been a better time........
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
....to shoot Mauser milsurp calibers. At our store we have stacks of 6.5x55, 8x57, 7x57, and 7.65x54. Everything else was cleaned out months ago. A lot of box to box hunters crying the blues.

Posts: 3645 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot my '91 Argentine this AM, fun stuff.

Posts: 679 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Got a ton of 6.5 bullets and RL19 for the Swed

Posts: 6346 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You aren't handicaping yourself shooting any of those calibers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
odd calibers?
those are bout all I got.
the 7 for deer and the 8 for elk, what else do you need?

Posts: 4954 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
odd calibers?
those are bout all I got.
the 7 for deer and the 8 for elk, what else do you need?

You need just 8 for both.
Jiri

Posts: 2066 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got by just fine for years with just the 7.

it has a modified case and is built on a 270 action.
so I could, if I wanted to, fling 140gr. bullets over 3-K fps.
before I got the 8 I used the 7 on everything from rabbit's/coyote's to a couple of moose and on several Elk.
only once did I try the 3-K fps load on anything.

easier to run it about 2900 and let the bullet do it's job.
figured a bit more weight at about the same speed would be a good idea so the 8 got piled in.
I noticed deer liked to run some further with the 8 than the 7 so [shrug[ what do you do when faced with first world problems?
compartmentalize things.

Posts: 4954 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am strictly a 7x57 shooter. It does what I need to do.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, "...stricty a 7x57 shooter". Man you can't be all bad! I carried one in Alberta for at least 30 years. I now have 7x57 AI in a single shot. That my grand kids will soon use. Very cool cartridge. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mostly shoot the 7x57, and if not the 30-06 and I have plenty of ammo to last my life time, even if I live another 86 years, or is that 87, oh well whatever...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.260 Rem is still in stock at my local gun store, too.

Posts: 1715 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yea, just before the pandemic, I bought a 40 S&W pistol after reading all of the 40 vs 9 argument. Guess what was left on the the LGS shelves after it got stupid?

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Ray, I'm a total fan of the 7X57 but I will confess that the 6.5X55 Swede has its merits. Those surplus guns are still a great buy. When I had my FFL in the 80s when the soviet union collapsed I was buying cases of NEW 98 Mausers (circa WW2) still in the cosmoline for $150.00 ea.from russian warehouses that were being imported. I don't even want to talk about the other bargains, Lugers included.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinhorseman:
Yea, just before the pandemic, I bought a 40 S&W pistol after reading all of the 40 vs 9 argument. Guess what was left on the the LGS shelves after it got stupid?

Don't believe the in the death of the 40S@W there are millions on pistols out there in that. caliber

Posts: 19289 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I retired more or less from the hunting business after 40 years, about all I hunt with is my 7x57, 30-06, it seems,kept the 375 Ruger for a big gun, but it just sits there..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NOrm,
I well remember that little milsurp (18" barrel I believe) milsurp Sweed Mauser in 6.5, they sold for next to nothing and I bought one and loved it, finally customized it and it lost its nostalgia so down the road it went..someday I will find another and not mess with it..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120