THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Rec for a 9.3x62 load - elk, eland

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rec for a 9.3x62 load - elk, eland
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got a new 9.3x62. Can you rec a good load and bullet?

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if we have corresponded.
PM me your email and I will send you several articles and load info.

I have shared this with about 40 members here in the last 10+ years

You cannot go wrong with bullets like Accubond, TSX 250 gr, or Lapua Mega, Woodleigh, Norma, Nosler, TSX all in 286 gr. I am sure others like Northfork, Swift etc are also good.

Varget, H4350 & Re17 will get you comfortably to 2400+ fps and that is ample in this caliber. You can get 2600 fps with 250 gr TSX

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm keen to try 250 Accubond and think it would suit you well

Posts: 129 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 11 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
286 gr Nosler Partition over 65 gr Ramshot Big Game Fed 210 Primer, slightly higher Velocity with mag primer but accuracy was not quite as good. This is one grain less than John Barsness 9.3x62 load he published a few years ago after pressure testing it, intended for new weapon only. Velocity right at 2500 fps out of my rifle. Solidly under 1.5 inches at 100. Recoil was stout but I put a Witt Machine muzzle break on it and now it's a real pleasure to shoot.

Culled over 2 dozen eland cows without major if any meat damage. Cow elk I took last year shot through the shoulder at approx 100, you could eat right up to the hole. Have killed several elk including 2 Texas heart shots under 100 yds that resulted in complete or near complete penetration. Complete side on penetration at 300 yards on cow elk, DRT. Just plain works every time if I do my part.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A big dose of RL-15 or 17 and the 286 gr. Nosler partition works on anything that walks crawls, flys or swims...Same with a 300 gr. Swift or 320 gr. Woodleigh..My favorites over a number of years...

The only thing I hate about the 9.3x62 is Ive never been able to decide which I liked best the 338 Win or the 9.3x62!! and doubt that I will ever make that decision.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat, if you haven't already done so, do a quick search of John Barsness' load data for the 9.3x62. After trying 4 or 5 different bullets and powders, I finally decided on 250 gr. Nosler AB's using his Varget load data. It has worked really well in my CZ 550 American. It should be a load that will work on most any large game I'll ever have an opportunity to hunt.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken game with three different 9.3 bullets and they all worked. I used the 250 gr. Accubond on 7 whitetail deer, all one-shot kills. I used the 250 gr. Barnes TTSX on two African trips and killed 8 animals from a honey badger up to waterbuck and eland. All were one-shot kills except for the eland. I shot him 3 times until he went down, as he was headed into some thick brush in a canyon. All these were with a Ruger #1S. I have a Ruger M77 African in 9.3x62 also and shot a pronghorn with it with the 286 gr. Nosler partition. For hunting the bigger animals I would use either the 250 gr. Barnes or the 286 gr. partition. The 286 gr. Barnes would probably also do fine but I have not tried it yet.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
250 grain bullet - Accubond or TSX VArget or RL15 are both good.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
63gr Ramshot BigGame 286 NorthFork.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer to load my 25 inch barreled Heym 98 Mauser to chase on the heels on a 375 H&H mag, loaded with a 320gr Woodleigh PP Weldcore to 2400 fps with RL-17 powder provides:

+3 at 100
zero around 210
-9 at 300
-28 at 400

Big bullet is still packing over 1850 fps at 400 yards on an 8000 ft elk mountain, have only been to Africa twice, but there isn't and animal there or here short of Elephant skull I wouldn't hunt with that load, and just for fun, my rifle has the Express Quarter Rib filed dead on 50 yards with the 280gr BBW #13 solids at 2500 fps. Wink

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry mcdonald:
I prefer to load my 25 inch barreled Heym 98 Mauser to chase on the heels on a 375 H&H mag, loaded with a 320gr Woodleigh PP Weldcore to 2400 fps with RL-17 powder provides:

+3 at 100
zero around 210
-9 at 300
-28 at 400

Big bullet is still packing over 1850 fps at 400 yards on an 8000 ft elk mountain, have only been to Africa twice, but there isn't and animal there or here short of Elephant skull I wouldn't hunt with that load, and just for fun, my rifle has the Express Quarter Rib filed dead on 50 yards with the 280gr BBW #13 solids at 2500 fps. Wink

I’d love to know what gr you are using with they 320. Feel free to pm if you don’t want to post. My 9,3 has a 25+ barrel as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello BaxterB, you can start at 60 grains RL-17 working up with a chronograph until yourself and your rifle are happy, I use Hornady brass, CCI-250 or FED-215 primers, and a COL of 3.340 inch, same/same for the 280gr BBW solids.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Excellent. Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
Excellent. Thanks!

You're most welcome neighbor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Found my test results with RL-17..

WW or PPU Brass, 320 gr. Woodleigh, 210 fed,

60 grs. RL-17 with WW brass 2400 give or take 20 FPS..

59 grs. RL-17, PPU brass for 2388 FPS

250 Barnes X: 60 grs RL-15 for 2640 FPS

286 Barnes, Hornady or NOsler partition 63 grs of RL-17 averaged 2500 FPS

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ross, I have used a 9.3 with 250 Accubonds for three safaris, no elk but eland and several oryx and wildebeest out to 250 yards. It goes 2600 plus and seems to shoot as flat as a .338. A lovely round.I used RL-15.

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Accubonds do a good job on larger game, but based on my experience I would stay away from the 250-grain ballistic tips (I am not sure Nosler still makes these) for anything bigger than deer.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrumbag:
I'm keen to try 250 Accubond and think it would suit you well

I would like to try that as well.
I have extensively loaded Speer 270 grain bullets (I think they are kinda soft but not terrible) and 285 grain PRVI Bullets both with Ramshot Big Game powder.
I highly recommend that powder, accurate and fast. I have a short barreled 9.3x62 (20") that shoots the 285's under an inch for 5 shots and goes about 2550 fps.
I would like to try the Accubond and Ramshot Big Game but I'm kinda losing steam on my 9.3x62 after all these years and may put it on the market. Currently have other interests...

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
John Barsness' article has a story of him using the 250 gr Balistic Tip before the Accubond came along. Performance was like the Accubond. Thick heavy shank with less lead.

The beauty of the 9.3X62 is that there are no bad bullets for the caliber. The Original German 286 & 293 gr bullets set the bench mark' Even the 232 gr bullets seem to hold up on deer sized game.

There is no risk of driving these bullets too fast and you still get a great caliber for use up to 250 meters.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
You can’t go wrong with any of the premium bullets from 250 to 286 grains. I have only hunted moose with this caliber using the heavy, 285 grain Norma Oryx bullet at just under 2,400 fps. It works!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3x62 is kind to bullets as is the .338 Win. and that makes for good penetration and full expansion...The only advantage high velocity has IMO is they do shoot flatter over the various long ranges I suppose if one is a good enough shot that's important...both calibers are darn hard to beat...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120