THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Help me understand this Mannlicher Schoenaeur scope mount.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me understand this Mannlicher Schoenaeur scope mount.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The seller of this rifle mentioned that a piece seems to be missing from the quick release part of this rear scope mount. I have the rifle now and I have no idea how the mount works nor what is missing if anything.

To add that the question is about the rear mount only. That the mount functions but seems fixed in place. It seems as if some of the parts would move if I knew how do do it.

There is a link here to a page on the mount. http://www.mannlicherschoenauer.com/mannlicherfacts3.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you know, you have a MS with the MS factory mount. There should be a release button on the rear mount. To remove the scope, you push on the button and swing the scope to the left until it can be lifted free. The button opens the "gate" that allows you to rotate the scope. It looks to me like the button may not be present on your mount, perhaps it was broken off, but I really can't see the base good enough in the picture to tell. Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
contact New Englan Custom the sell mounts by EAW and if they cant get you the older mounts part they can get you a new EAW mount for that rifle. be prepared to spend $400 or so.
Group B: Mannlicher-Schoenauer, Mauser 66

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the left side of the rear mount. The large U shaped cutout is where the ring swings out to the left. Just behind the U plate is a flat gate, that can be moved fore and aft. A spring keeps it rearward, covering the U cutout and preventing removal of the scope. When you push the gate forwards, a U cutout in the gate lines up with the U cutout in the outer plate, allowing the ring to swing out to the left.

I cannot tell from the photo if the gate is in place behind the plate. It might be stuck or assembled wrong. If you can post a better pic it would help.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of the mount as it is.

My goal really is just to understand how it works. Once I do I may elect to just leave it as it is if it looks original. I like factory rifles that are not modified if possible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks to me like the "gate" is stuck in a partially open position. Further, it looks like a piece of the gate may have broken off. I'm going by memory here, but when the gate is closed, then enough of it should protrude toward the rear of the mount so that when you push the gate forward, it will position the "u" shaped cutout so that the rear of the scope can swing out of the mount.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you carefully pry the "inner" U forward a bit, you should be able to pivot the rear of the scope to the left.

Everything looks like it is in dire need of a good cleaning. The gate looks like it has been tampered with or assembled in reverse.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It was filled with rust when I got it and all that has been done is to put penetrating oil on it and try to clean it a little. I will put more oil on it and try to push that part towards the muzzle.

Is anything missing from that mount base?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle in the below auction has the same mount and rings. There are some excellent photos of what it is supposed to look like.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=83075328

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for pointing those pictures out to me. From what I can tell it seems as if part of my base has been cut off.

I have not tried to push on it yet but once it loosens up it may move.

Here is a picture from the link you provided.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I pushed on that locking slide it moved forward and its still spring loaded. It just requires a screwdriver to push on it as the end of it was cut off.

The rear mount will not swing off so far. Best I can tell is that its been silver soldered in there and its locked together. Since I don't have another mount like this I can't compare it except to those pictures.

At present I am trying to work up a load for it and to clean out the barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stranger things have happened. Your mount is also attached by only one screw, the forward one. I can only imagine this was done to fit a short scope to the original front ring.

There is a good chance they soldered the rear base to the receiver to give it some support.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
did you try calling new england custom?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The mount is attached by two screws. The rear one is still there and another hole was counterbored into the base. It shows in this picture.

As I mentioned before I would rather have an original rifle and mount. However if this mount holds a scope well then so be it. I can see the irons under it so a QD ability is not needed. On the other hand this is not a serious hunting rifle to me as I have others.

In fact I am not sure I want to keep it at this point. A Cabelas just opened here and I am going to to talk to the Gun Library manager when I am there next and see what I can get for it.

I see no reason to call that other company. Either this mount works and the rifle shoots as a safe queen or down the road it goes.

To add that I have m70's/Kimbers/FN's, and ZB Brno's. Lots of them. They are a far superior design to this antique. Now I like antique guns and I use them as well. My grandfather was in the Austrian Army and an uncle was the boss of post war Austria so I feel some connection. Not enough however to hunt with a rifle with a trigger this bad. It must have nine yards of take up. Smooth however.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Judging by that 2nd, vertical, screw placement, you may have to remove it to slide the ring out of the mount. It might be pinning the ring in place.

These mounts are rare nowadays, but you might be able to find one that hasn't been screwed with on E-Bay, etc. The front ring is usually soldered to the barrel, with the stock inletted for it just ahead of the receiver. Replacing the whole system is an expensive option. I would look for an original rear base in the meantime.

What model and caliber rifle is it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once again I want to thank all for the advice and information. I makes owning this gun far more enjoyable.

Agreed finding a new rear mount would return the rifle to original. Other than that mount the only thing not so is the missing rear open sight and the dings which are not bad.

On the other hand I am more of a shooter than a purest collector. If the rifle were a carbine and therefore weighed less I might hunt with it. As it is its only suitable as a stand rifle where I don't have to go far. At least its in a powerful cartridge capable of some range.

The soldered rear mount does not bother me much at all. As it is it could be considered an improvement in terms of actually shooting the rifle as it hardens up the rear mount and moves it forward. Now a 3-9 Vari-x 11 barely fits.

If you don't mind give me some idea of what its worth on a private sale. I understand that a dealer would pay less and ask more if he were selling it. Price it with just the mounts.

Here are some more pictures.

As you may be able to read its a 1952 model in 30-06 with a single trigger.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've got the same rifle except it has a Griffin & Howe side mount. Very nice rifles.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$800 -????
double triggers add $200
you need the rear sight and the front hood to get premium $$.
non stoger marked bring a little higher dollars.
looks like a little rust near the bolt release and, of course the mount issue.
PM me and give me details, ill ask around.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good estimate there Stephens. I just paid $792 on GB and then add 3% for the credit card, shipping and FFL and yes its a $800 gun. The market proved that as well.

The headspace is nice and tight, just right, not that I could not work around that some. Well at least I got to work the bolt if you know what I mean. Once the barrel is cleaned out and its shooting I may keep it.

Still though the new Cabelas is only 40 minutes away now. They have a Gun Library and its well named. They have five M63 Winchesters for sale priced from $900 to $1500! Now I bought one only a few years ago for $350 and mines as nice and original as anything they have. Somehow I wonder if I can tap into that marketing?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage 99:
Very good estimate there Stephens. I just paid $792 on GB and then add 3% for the credit card, shipping and FFL and yes its a $800 gun. The market proved that as well.

The headspace is nice and tight, just right, not that I could not work around that some. Well at least I got to work the bolt if you know what I mean. Once the barrel is cleaned out and its shooting I may keep it.

Still though the new Cabelas is only 40 minutes away now. They have a Gun Library and its well named. They have five M63 Winchesters for sale priced from $900 to $1500! Now I bought one only a few years ago for $350 and mines as nice and original as anything they have. Somehow I wonder if I can tap into that marketing?

use this link to contact the guy who bid $5 less than you and you mat have a quick buyer as is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There has been some excitement over this auction purchase. Turns out that the rifle did not shoot that well at all at the range. The best groups at 100 yds were 4" to 6" for three shots.

I had given the barrel a quick clean with solvent, brush and patch prior to shooting but not until I really scrubbed it out looking for something wrong did I find it!

The above picture shows deep pitting in the bore at the muzzle after cleaning with the patch, solvent, brush, Rem Clean and Outers Foul Out 11.

I emailed the seller as the rifle was sold as having an "Excellent Bore" and he answered that the three days were up on the inspection and thats that. He was not as nice as that and typed everything in capital letters.

I could not tell this story if it had turned out bad as I would be too upset. It turns out that after cleaning it that it shoots very well. Every load tried in it groups from 3/4 to 1 1/4 MOA at both 100 and 200 yds!

My story is a lesson to me to really look a gun over before the contract runs out..