Find
Notify
Tools

7x64 takedown rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi there,

Anyone got any recomendations for a take down rifle in 7x64. Needs to be fairly light if possible, and accurate.

Cheers

Kyle

Posts: 59 | Location: Worthing, West Sussex, UK | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Sauer 202 outback?

Stock drops off for easy transport.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Sauer 202 or Blaser R93. Here's my travel case : R 93 + scoped .300 Win and 9,3x62 bbls.
Thus armed, I feel ready to take on whatever may show up.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
steyr prohunter, leupold QR bases and rings and a 5mm allan wrench stowed in the buttstock trap.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I love my Blaser with its 7x64 and 9.3x62 barrels.
This wild boar fell to a 162grn 7mm TIG bullet.

Light, fast, points great and accurate. thumb

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

that little baby doesnt need to be a take-down.
i dont see a sling so i guess you use an ankle holster.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Ozhunter, that little Blaser looks sweet.

I have to say I am developing an irrational desire for a Blaser.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

Oz, I notice your Blaser has the "hogsback" rear stock and open sights. Is this how they come in Aussie-Land?? This is the standard configuration for wooden stocks in Continental Europe, but in the US I believe the R93 comes with a straight comb rear stock, no sights and a (somewhat ungainly, but probably practical) recoil pad.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
IMO,
My Blaser is the Attache Model with the standard stock and yes the US model has a straight stock.
The Hogsback did have my 9.3x62 coming back on my face but not the 300MAG, 7X64 or 6.5x57.

KSTEPHENS,
The rifle does have a sling on it..

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andre, do you leave the bolt and magazine in your rifle when it is in the case (as opposed to storing it in the compartment?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I'll go one step further, Peter. To prove I travel with an inoperative firearm, I store the bolt in a different piece of luggage. Especially in airports, I feel this irons out possible discussions.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How reliable are the scope mountings on the Blaser? They go back to the zero accurately when the gun is re-assembled?

>steyr prohunter, leupold QR bases and rings and a 5mm allan wrench stowed in the buttstock trap.

I take it this allen key would pop the stock off? Again, am I likely to have problems with this when I re-fit the action to the stock?

Thanks for all the advice so far, I will look into the Sauer I think as I am not too struck on the straight pull idea Smiler

Posts: 59 | Location: Worthing, West Sussex, UK | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rarms:
scope mountings on the Blaser? They go back to the zero accurately when the gun is re-assembled?

Yes.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, return to zero after bbl. change of the Blaser saddle mount is 100% reliable. Reason : the scope is mounted on the bbl. and both stay always in tune. When I went hunting chamois in Austria in August, I took along my R93 in .300 Win. Only, the rifle was assembled in 9,3x62, so I swapped bbls., bolt head and magazine before leaving, expecting to check zero on location, having been told I was to pass a shooting test anyway. For some reason, it didn't happened and the first an only shot I fired killed my trophy buck, the bullet hitting were intended.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.