Find
Notify
Tools

Savage bedding?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of pepperbelly
posted
I have a Savage 110 that was made in '90, I think- I bought it used. It is in a Savage laminated stock. Yesterday at the range I was trying some ammo and the accuracy was disappointing with both 130gr and 150gr Winchester Power Points.
During a break I saw the screw under the forestock. When I put a screwdriver to it I saw that it wasn't tight. I snugged it and the front trigger guard screw- not tight, but snug. The groups were definately smaller after snugging the screws down.

Are the Savage laminated stocks pillar bedded?
How tight should these screws be?
If these stocks are not pillar bedded would installing pillars help much?

Thanks,
Jim

NRA Life Member

Posts: 152 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://savageshooters.baker-media.com/SavageForum/index.php

Try theses guys

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pepperbelly
posted Hide Post
I posted there too. I usually try several different boards. If the answers are similar I go with it.

Jim

NRA Life Member

Posts: 152 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Pull the barreled action and see if it's pillar bedded. I see no disadvantage if it isn't. I'd tighten the front screw tight and the back one a bit more than snug.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
All Savages are pillar bedded. When snugging the action screws, you don't want to overtighten them, but yet want them tight enough. How tight they are will make a big difference in accuracy.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Not all Savages are pillar bedded. If it's 1990 manufacture it's likely not.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pepperbelly
posted Hide Post
I'll check as soon as I can get to it.

jim

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
If it's not pillar bedded. Often rifles with synthetic or laminate stocks benefit from tightening these screws while the action is still hot from shooting. JME.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pepperbelly
posted Hide Post
The way the groups tightened up immediately after I snugged them down a little is encouraging. I may try tweaking them a little, but the groups are good enough as is now.
The only other thing I will be trying is maybe some other ammo to see what it can do, until I start handloading for it.
I managed to scrounge a lot of .270 bullets for it, and some of them are Noslers, with some Sierras thrown in for fun.

Jim

NRA Life Member