THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    .300 WinMag in 7mm Wby Mag Mark V action?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 WinMag in 7mm Wby Mag Mark V action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

I've got a question:
For many years I have owned a 7mm Wby Msg Mark V.
Unfortunately, it does not shoot and rebarreling it does not make sense due to little ammunition on the German market.

I would like to put a .300 WinMag barrel on the action, but wonder, if some work on the receiver or magazine will be required?
The difference in length is 2 mm.
7mm wby: case length 65mm; overall length 83mm
300 WM: CL 67mm; OL 85mm

Many thanks

Michael

Posts: 49 | Location: Germany | Registered: 06 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No hill for a good gunsmith. Id suggest a rebore and rechamber, maybe some feed work, but very little I suspect..If that won't work, then a .338 Win will sure work..and its a better caliber IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Problem is the availability of ammo:
47 types of. 300 WM vs 1 of 338 WM
Bummer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Installing a .300 Win mag barrel should require no modifications to the action or magazine.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Junk it and get a 30-06.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new guy in town walks into the LGS and asks where to buy a good steak. The old codger sitting by the potbellied stove tells him he really wants a chicken dinner instead. Then the clerk walks up and says he likes seafood better.

The new guys shakes his head, leaves and walks over to the local big box store. They make a suggestion and he goes there and has the best steak of his life. He decides to buy all his firearms supplies at the box store.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:
The new guy in town walks into the LGS and asks where to buy a good steak. The old codger sitting by the potbellied stove tells him he really wants a chicken dinner instead. Then the clerk walks up and says he likes seafood better.

The new guys shakes his head, leaves and walks over to the local big box store. They make a suggestion and he goes there and has the best steak of his life. He decides to buy all his firearms supplies at the box store.

rotflmo tu2

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by TX Nimrod:

rotflmo tu2

+2! Big Grin

I’m no gunsmith but I would think a .300 WM would do with minimal work.

But, following some of the other posts better to chamber it in a big .500 something, just in case…..
sofa

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A new Mk5 in 300win costs 1500e here a new barrel and change cost about 800e it would be quicker to just sell the 300wby.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
As others have said, converting to a 300 should be no big deal, but I'm more intrigued by your reason. You mention the 7mm Wby "won't shoot". Could you go into some additional detail? I only ask because that'd be the first Weatherby rifle I've heard of that just didn't cut it in the accuracy department. It's a good caliber and rifle - any way to work with what you have?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my 7MM Wea. Accumark. It practically shoots into a dime at 100 yds.
160 NP's at 3250 FPS with Normas MRP load in their book (Ohler 35 tested).

EZ

quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
As others have said, converting to a 300 should be no big deal, but I'm more intrigued by your reason. You mention the 7mm Wby "won't shoot". Could you go into some additional detail? I only ask because that'd be the first Weatherby rifle I've heard of that just didn't cut it in the accuracy department. It's a good caliber and rifle - any way to work with what you have?

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking making it into a 358 Norma... Optik1

Posts: 372 | Location: linwood Michigan | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you could explain "it won't shoot", maybe we can help you solve that problem before you spend your hard earned money..A new barrel is usually the last resort, and a mag is an awesome killer and as good as the 300s in most if not any case..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all,
thanks for the generous advice to go for other calibers (not).
Regarding the problem: we tried several lots and versions of original Wby. ammo. The barrel does not stabilize the bullet, i.e. it arrives at the target sideways, at least some of the time. So, our conclusion is that something is wrong with the barrel.
Shortening it, imo is not a super idea, because I would lose velocity, which is the only reason to have a wby. in the first place.
Don't know what other options (no, I will not buy a new .416).
The market value for the rifle as is is probably 100 EUR max. Instead of trying to sell it and going through the hassle, I might as well destroy it.
thanks
Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
McStern,
To answer your original question, it should be relatively easy to rebarrel your 7mm Wby. to 300 WM.
However, one quick question. Since you are in Germany and you said you have had the rifle for many years....would it happen to be a German made Weatherby Mark V? The early ones were made with a 1 in 12" twist which will not stabilize bullets from around 160 grains on up. You mentioned that you have tried several different types of ammo. Have you tried the lighter bullet weights of 140 or 150 grains? This may be the answer unless you have experimented with them as well. I just didn't see you mention it. The later Weatherbys were changed to a 1 in 10" twist just for the reason you describe. Hope this helps.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I rebarrelled a Mark 5 Ultra light in 300 Weatherby to 300 Win and went to basically a Remington Magnum barrel contour. The only thing I had to change was eliminating a couple of little protrusions in the mag box that would push the shorter cartridge right past the chamber. Going from 7 'bee to 300 Win I doubt if you'd need to change anything, but but taking out the spacer and lengthening the bolt stop groove is an option.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
@Magnum Hunter1: It is not a German action. I looked it up a long time ago and I think it is Japanese.
Any thoughts on that re twist?
Best
M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
McStern,
I would bet that your rifle has a 1 in 10 twist coming from Japan. Sorry you are having trouble with it as I have had 3, 7mm Wbys and they were/are very accurate. My present one is an Accumark and I hope to use it quite a bit. Interestingly, I have a .270 Wby. that is quite finicky. It only likes 130 grain bullets and only flat base spitzers. But, that has been a constant theme for me with Weatherbys. I have yet to have one that liked boat tail bullets better although this Accumark may be the one.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a Weatherby instruction manual for the Japanese made Weatherby claiming a 1 in 10 twist. I would still try a lighter bullet if I could though.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote