Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone shoot/use a Model 54?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
I feel like I can't own these pre-64 rifles and not get the grandfather of them all.

I know where serial number #357 is for a decent price, and it's been on my mind for a few weeks.

Does anyone else own or shoot one of these classics?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Quite a few here do. The stock is much better for open sights than for a scope. The trigger is two-stage. No quick release on the bottom metal. Action screw spacing is different from the Pre-64 should you want to restock or change bottom metal. The one I have has a very smooth action.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
have 4 of them... oldest is a 3 digit .270...also 30-06, .22 hornet, .220 swift, swift started out as a 30/30, rebarreled to .219 k zipper, then rechambered to the swift,,,

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have a nice 30WCF carbine with the original Lyman peep sight. It's an old Alaskan carbine that has seen little use

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I happen to have one in 30-06 that I intend to sell, it has the 24 inch barrel and schnable forend, and the Lyman receiver sight as the one pictured in one of the above posts, it shoots 1 to 1.5 inch groups at 100 yds...Its a neat gun.

These guns have the low comb so they point like a high dollar shotgun and are great for off hand shooting and running shots...I grew up on low comb rifles such as the 54, pre 64 and 94s, so used the same guns with scopes when Weaver came out with the 2.5X..I feel blessed as I can shoot a low comb with either the irons or a scope without all the whining of todays shooters and the fabled 3 point contact hold! rotflmo

If anyone is interested give a holler, I will put it up on AR classified in a week or so..I also have some parts to modify it to a mod 70..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a wake up call and came to my sences, taking the gun off the for sale list..Im going to keep it

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Had a wake up call and came to my sences, taking the gun off the for sale list..Im going to keep it

Is that the first time ?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

Good Idea Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I had a 30 WCF; nice classic early US bolt actions, but modern shooters won't like them; no scope, low comb, direct pull triggers. No reason to own one except for nostalgia and collecting purposes. Which is reason enough.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two at the moment: a .30-30 like pictured above, and a .22 Hornet rechambered to K-Hornet by Lyle Kilbourn himself. I get around the "no scope" deal by using vintage target scopes on them via the factory receiver ring holes and the barrel dovetail as mounting points for the scope blocks. Unertl/Fecker/Targetspot scopes sit high enough for the bolt handles to clear without alterations. The low combs are then overcome via lace-on leather cheek pieces. Easily returned to "stock" appearance when desired.

Posts: 329 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gnoahhh:
I have two at the moment: a .30-30 like pictured above, and a .22 Hornet rechambered to K-Hornet by Lyle Kilbourn himself. I get around the "no scope" deal by using vintage target scopes on them via the factory receiver ring holes and the barrel dovetail as mounting points for the scope blocks. Unertl/Fecker/Targetspot scopes sit high enough for the bolt handles to clear without alterations. The low combs are then overcome via lace-on leather cheek pieces. Easily returned to "stock" appearance when desired.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see a photo of that set-up, if you ever get the chance. A great option for someone who doesn't want to spoil a classic by riddling the receiver with surplus holes.

Posts: 41 | Location: Canada | Registered: 24 June 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil,
Giving your post some thought, I think that is a first for me, coming to my sinces and taking a gun off the market that is..well maybe on a lot of other things as well

I had a carbine 30-06 such as yours that belonged to my uncle, and he lent it to me until he passed away and I gave it to his son..tuff call on my part! Pierre van Tonder has one original in 375 H&H and Id kill for it but its a pre war 70. carbine.

If you ever decide to sell your carbine give me first opertunity!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120