THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    3800fps with a 180 grain bullet?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3800fps with a 180 grain bullet?
 Login/Join

<Akuma>
posted
Are there any cartridges out there factory or wildcat chamberings capable of 3800fps with a 180grain bullet?Just curious.

[This message has been edited by Akuma (edited 03-21-2002).]

<338Lapua>
posted
I don't know about 3800 with a 180. But from my 338 Lapua I can get 3500 with a 180.

Maybe with a 338/416 Imp and a 34-36" barrel it would be possible.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only round I know of that can even come close to that is the 7.82 Lazzeroni Warbird, I guess that could be called a semi-factory round.
Another posibility is a sabotted 50bmg, and the 50 is a factory cartridge... heh.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Akuma>
posted
Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it.Dan
you said about saboting the 50 BMG but is there anybody who actually went ahead and necked it down to 30 caliber.

[This message has been edited by Akuma (edited 03-08-2002).]

<EricH>
posted

<Guy>
posted
Akuma - I'll second 338Lapua and say that I have attained 3500 fps with a 180 Nosler BT in my 338 Ultra. I don't think that bullet would hold up well at close range on a large animal like an elk. FYI - Those 180's are very accurate even at that velocity.

------------------
Guy

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Akuma,

I think you need the most powerful .338 is a wildcat .338/378. The contains more powder than .338 Lapua, .338 RUM or .338/416 Rigby.

You can find factory rifle made by Weatherby.

Hope this can help you.

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akuma:
Dan you said about saboting the 50 BMG but is there anybody who actually went ahead and necked it down to 30 caliber.

The velocities obtained with a 180grn bullet from a 50BMG can surpass 5000fps, the reason why this is not done it that the barrel would be burned out in a matter of minutes. The sabots use a plastic shell, therefore there is not nearly the amount of metal on metal abbrasion.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Akuma>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by DanD:
The velocities obtained with a 180grn bullet from a 50BMG can surpass 5000fps, the reason why this is not done it that the barrel would be burned out in a matter of minutes. The sabots use a plastic shell, therefore there is not nearly the amount of metal on metal abbrasion.

Thanks DanD for the Info,so you say there is not a barrel designed yet to withstand that kind of friction.Too bad, it would be intresting to shoot a gun that could launch a bullet that fast!!

Akuma

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well lets see, according to balistics a 180grn Sierra MatchKing traveling at 3000fps with a 500 yard zero will hit at -182.94 inches below aim at 1000 yards at a velocity of 1457fps. On the other hand at 5000fps, it would be -73.16 and a velocity of 2429fps. In other words at 1000 yards it would have the velocity of a 308 Winchester.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why Dan darling, why not run the same stuff for a 240 grain, .711 or so, 300 caliber, sierra, hpbt????

gs

------------------
I love 45
santilli@singleaction45.com

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because it has a 55.86inch drop and a velocity of 3086fps, and thats just crazy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AWESOME STUFF DAN. ;-) THANKS..
(In my mind, I see Boyd thinking...it's not THAT crazy)

gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recall somebody getting frantic velocities out of a .416 (Rigby? it was pre-Weatherby) with a very light bullet. Don't know why you'd do it, but shooting doesn't have to be about practicality....sounds like good fun with small furry mammals?

Posts: 264 | Location: Grand Prairie, TX, USA | Registered: 17 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I saw a .338 50BMG wildcat in a gunshop in Craig, Colorado. It clocked a 250 grain bullet at around that speed. Frankly, I'm not that masochistic. I'll stick with my 270 Winchester, and pick up my 300 Winchester when I feel really mean.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are speaking of the 338/50 Talbot, the guy who gave us the Talbot QD scope rings. Velocity for the 338/50 is listed as 3700fps with a 250grn bullet. Again barrel life would be quite limited and practical applications non-existent.

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Your right Socrates,It's not crazy,IT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
I HUNT LONG RANGE.AND YES I USE MATCHKING'S.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
What about sabots ? Any good, what about accuracy ?

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote