THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Bases for QR rings that actually work on a pre-64 M70

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bases for QR rings that actually work on a pre-64 M70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Originally posted on the "Optics" forum but received few replies so I thought I would try here.

Looking for bases for QR rings that will actually allow me to see the rear sight on a pre-64 M70 (300 H&H). Seems like they are all .250" thick (high) and they block the view of my rear sight.

Suggestions?

Posts: 862 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doublegun,

I've used Talley and Leupold Quick Release and the bases of both are too high. (BTW, you can get a peep for the Talley but your front sight probably wouldn't be high enough.) Although they're not much to look at perhaps aluminum Weavers with the groove would work? If you only want the sights available for back-up you could also look for a set of Leupold Model 3 mounts.

Kurt

Soli Deo Gloria

Posts: 145 | Location: Woodville WI | Registered: 25 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the Leupold QRW rings and steel bases.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the steel Weavers and then had a gunsmith machine a trough down the middle, so they are like the aluminum extruded weaver bases. Not the prettiest setup but it works and will allow the use of the factory irons

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Griffin & Howe Side Mount. I had the same problem with a pre-64 .375 H&H.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thought about a G&H side mount - did you have to cut your stock?

Thanks

Posts: 862 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the stock has some degree of modifications. I like the G&H (but my pals don't) also have one on a FN .338. G&H did the actual installation on mine. However, most believe it hurts the value of the rifle. And, it is expensive. Once it's on it's permanent. Mine have ratteled around in all types of vehicles (without scope attached) and the base is rock soild.

It's a big decision.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have warne premier mounts on a pre 64 and they are too high too. I'm having a custom pre 64 build in 375 and I went with a banded front sight and rear island to solve the problem.

If you go the G&H route it will cost you a small fortune to have it mounted correctly and the cost of the mount itself. To top it off you won't recover any of the cost when selling and will actually decrease the value of the rifle. I suggest picking up a 300 h&h with a G&H mount already installed. You could buy one for probably 30% less then your rifle is worth.

You could send it off to have NECG front sight and rear island installed for less then the G&H mount and probably adding some value to the rifle.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just now working on a pre-64 in 375 H&H. It has the NECG masterpiece rear sight and the banded front with the interchangeable sight blades. It also has Talley QR lever rings and custom made bases that I just finished. I looked through the sights with the bases attached and there is ample room to see the sights, both front and rear.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am just now working on a pre-64 in 375 H&H. It has the NECG masterpiece rear sight and the banded front with the interchangeable sight blades.

My project is very smilar. Same action and sights. The caliber is 400 H&H on a 22" Stainless Pac-Nor fluted barrel. The quick release bases I have are Warne. I am in the process of inletting a McMillian stock with Williams bottom metal with the bow release......then to the range.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote