New
Find
Notify
Tools

8mm Remington Magnum
 Login/Join

Picture of Laurel Mountain Sportsman's Club
posted
Does anybody shoot the 8mm Remington Magnum? I have a Remington Model 700 Classic, it is my long-range Deer rifle. I am working up loads.

Posts: 3 | Location: Saltsburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had one. Sold it. It was the only gun I ever owned that I could not hold on to with at least one hand after firing. Made followup shots a bitch.

I've owned WM's, Rigby's, H&H's and NE's so I'm well used to recoil.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an 8 mm Mag for many years. Sold it when I got into reloading. The gun was a custom made for a friend of my father. Didn't think the recoil was all that terrible...not much different than my 9.3x62. But it sure seemed to have some serious muzzle blast.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 700 Classic In 8mm magnum. It has been to Africa twice and has taken gemsbok(2),water buck, kudu, zebra, and eland. In Namibia I used handloaded 220 grain Swift A frames and they were devastating to both game and my shoulder. I intended to use the same load on RSA, but apparently I screwed something up as I had excessive pressure signs, so I used Remington Safari Grade factory loads, 200 grain Swift A frames at 2900 fps. A little easier on the shoulder, but I doubt the game new the difference. My Remington is exceedingly accurate, usually somewhere around .75 inch if I do my job. The only issues are scarcity of ammo and a hard sharp fast recoil. It is at it's best with large herbivores and the big bears. Based on what my experience has shown,I would not hesitate to use the big 8 on water buffalo, the smaller African buffalo, or any other game of that ilk. I have always used Zeiss scopes and have had no problems with reliability or holding zero. Once I got just barely kissed by the Zeiss and it made me realize that eye relief is critical. Maybe a Leupold might be a smidge better for eye relief,but that may depend on gun fit and shooting style. This cartridge should have been a winner, as it will do anything a.300 mag or a.338 will do. If you like something a little different that is exceedingly flexible and deadly, the big 8 will do all that is asked of it.

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine had an 8mm Rem Mag, that he had rebarrelled to 375/8mm Mag, this was in the 1970s before the 404 based wildcats/Ultra mags were available. He was quite please with it and took many elk with it. seems loads for it were very similar to the 375 Wby.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two of my hunting friends have 8mm Rem. Mag. Remington 700s. Not everyone's taste in stocks but nevertheless a solid package with some heft to assist with the recoil. Both shoot excellent.

I don't find the recoil all that objectionable; I consider the recoil similar to a 338 Win. Mag. with factory loads; which isn't for everyone, either.

I does deliver a solid dose of kill downrange which is what this cartridge is all about. I think it's a great cartridge that sadly didn't catch on. In comaprison to the 8x68S which is a unique cartridge case (other than it's sister the 6.5x68) it has a brass case that is pretty easy to make from other similar based cartridges, like 375H&H.

I also agree that it has a severe muzzle blast, too.

While perhaps maybe difficult to locate or expensive in the US the .323" RWS 139 gr. Evo Green bullets reduce the recoil issue cosiderably. They are a bullet with a pretty explosive nose (which is supposed to fragment) leaving the shank to plow on through. They fly flat and deliver the goods despite their reduced weight.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an early 700 BDL.Reguarding recoil didn't Col Charles Askins write that it wasn't for those who wear lace on their underwear.I find the rocoil on max loads to hard and sharp also.It gives up very little to the 340 Wby. Use only good bullets. My rifle shoots 200 gr Barnes TSX bullets well and they work on elk. The 200 Partition is good as is the Swift A-frame. My rifle shoots the TSX's better so that's what I use. RL22 is a good powder to use .

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good round for a one/two round/year hunting rifle but these chamberings are quick barrel burners.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Good round for a one/two round/year hunting rifle but these chamberings are quick barrel burners.

Big Grin That's a good one! Unless some Third World dictator adopts the 8mm Remington Magnum as his army's heavy machine gun chambering, I doubt anyone ever wearing out an 8mm Rem barrel.

Posts: 13214 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its deader n a mackerel...never sold well...and good ole Remington dropped all those who bought it in the grease, not the first time either.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 700 in 7mm RM (have two others also) that keep toying with re-barreling to 8mm RM. I have everything else, several 300's, a couple of 338's, and a bunch of magnums larger and smaller than both of those,so i don't really NEED it. Kind of like to have one but, every time I look at the reloading books it just doesn't offer enough more than a 300 with 200 grainers to justify it. If somebody had some screamer load that would turn my head.....

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boddington claimed he could drive 220 grains at 3200+....not sure how..

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was intrigued by the 8mm Rem when it was produced. But, by the time I could afford one, it was basically gone from the scene.
I did purchase and still have a couple of Kimber Montana's in 325 WSM. I also bought a Bunch of brass, because it seems the 8mm's are much under appreciated here in the states.

I cannot see the 8mm 200gr premium bullets at 2900 fps being anything other than great killers. Hell, the diameter splits the difference between the .308 and .338 perfectly.
I suppose many did not / do not feel the need for that split.

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Hoover:
I have a Remington 700 Classic In 8mm magnum. It has been to Africa twice and has taken gemsbok(2),water buck, kudu, zebra, and eland. In Namibia I used handloaded 220 grain Swift A frames and they were devastating to both game and my shoulder. I intended to use the same load on RSA, but apparently I screwed something up as I had excessive pressure signs, so I used Remington Safari Grade factory loads, 200 grain Swift A frames at 2900 fps. A little easier on the shoulder, but I doubt the game new the difference. My Remington is exceedingly accurate, usually somewhere around .75 inch if I do my job. The only issues are scarcity of ammo and a hard sharp fast recoil. It is at it's best with large herbivores and the big bears. Based on what my experience has shown,I would not hesitate to use the big 8 on water buffalo, the smaller African buffalo, or any other game of that ilk. I have always used Zeiss scopes and have had no problems with reliability or holding zero. Once I got just barely kissed by the Zeiss and it made me realize that eye relief is critical. Maybe a Leupold might be a smidge better for eye relief,but that may depend on gun fit and shooting style. This cartridge should have been a winner, as it will do anything a.300 mag or a.338 will do. If you like something a little different that is exceedingly flexible and deadly, the big 8 will do all that is asked of it.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nobody can challenge its ballistics, and now Nosler makes a decent bullet for it..The problem is components will become impossible to find, and it simply not popular, the 8mm has never been popular in the USA....I have a wonderful Brno 1945 era rifle that's absolutely beautiful, shoots great, points like a Boss .410, I shoot it with iron sights or a old Redfield Receiver sight as its never been D&T'd, It will compete with a 30-06 and actually best the old 06 by a bit, but so what, anybody in their right mind would prefer the 06 self included, but I have this one and decided to keep the little orphan, felt sorry for it..Maybe punch it out to a 8mm/06 IMP use Noslers, D&T it, mount a scope on it, and shoot elk with it. It would best a 338-06 in most ways I suspect..HMMMMMM! maybe not, and just shoot it as is.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
I owned a 700 BDL in 8 Mag in the mid to late 80's. If I remember correctly I had to seat a 200 gr Nosler Partition pretty deep, past the neck/shoulder junction to get the cartridge to fit in the BDL magazine. The throat would allow me to seat the bullet out quite a bit farther, but I wasn't interested in a bolt action single shot! I wasn't super impressed by that and also had a .338 Win. at the time, so the 8 Mag didn't stay in the gun cabinet long.

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the greatest cartridges ever developed by the morons at Big Green who doomed it from it's inception. It wasn't the cartridge but the junk bullets they loaded it with..up close hits at 3000+ caused those junk core lokts to come apart every time, with no internal damage. The lack of good bullets for darn near 25 years caused it to fade away but those who waited got a reward from Barnes/Nosler...with good tsx's or partitions it will hammer any and all game at any yardage, classic example of how idiots who know nothing can screw up a great thing...if you could only have one gun it would be hard to beat the Big 8...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

I wish you long enough life and enough shooting opportunities to burn out a rifle barrel. Of any chambering.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never owned one but liked the idea. Like the 340 Wby Mag a lot and it doesn't give up much. Jarret used the case for a 33. It's like a non radius Weatherby give or take in capacity. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I liked it. I guess they don't hold value too well.

Posts: 688 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite cartridges actually. Couldn't find one locally to buy back in the day so I built one, put a 26" tube on it (what Rem should have done in the first place I think). Gives up next to nothing to my 340 Wby. Bullets arent easy to find unless you buy european, but there have been a few bright spots over the years. Bonded bullets, Nosler Partition, Barnes, Woodleigh. It really is a great heavy plains game rifle. I think it will likely be one of the last magnums I sell when the time comes. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 340 Wby is a better round, end of story..

The 8mm mag is a good caliber, but done is done, I wouldn't bother with it, but that's another to each his own...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does it do that even 8x60S, let alone 8x68, doesn't do in practicall terms with a 196 grain bullet in the real world and .338 Winchester Magnum with a 250 grain bullet? OK there's maybe a niche for a 227 grain bullet at 3xxx fps. But it's a very, very, very small niche. See it as an "alternative" or "American" 8x68, yes, I get that. Like .280 Remington to 7x64. But now these European cartridges are widely available neither really serve a purpose.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a new Remington 700 in 1977 right before graduating from High School. If I remember right that was the year they came out and I couldn't wait to get my hands on one. I killed a couple deer with it before buying my first .375 H&H. After using the .375 H&H with 270 grain bullets I didn't see a need for the 8mm Mag. and I never looked back.

Posts: 155 | Location: Moorefield, WV | Registered: 14 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are those who like odd ball calipers aynd those who don't. I liked my 8mag and am willing to accept the problems that come with it such as virtually no factory ammo any more and a limited supply of reloading supplies. In my reloading room, I have the following bulletss : Swift A frames 220 grains,Barnes triple shocks 180 grains,Sierra 175 grains(practice bullets), Nosler partitions(200 grains) and their are other component bullets available. I have only used Reloader 22 in my 8 mag, but I am sure other slow burning powders would work well. I do wish that my 8 mag had another 2 inches of barrel but that would require even more money. In summation,the 8 mag will do anything that is required from a .270 to a .350 and do it with aplomb and style. You also have the knowledge that you have a unique and versitle rifle that will perform at all ranges with the proper bullets. Elmer Keith asked when it was introduced," what good is it?" The answer is simple, It could have and possibly should have replaced everything from the .300 H&H to the .338 Winchester. Bad timing and marketing by Remington. Now to tame muzzle blast and recoil! Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
It flew through a 28 inch barrel and another 8 inches of bullshit.

I always though there was quite a bit of odd colored light in that statement. I still like him though, he is above all else a nice guy.

quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
Boddington claimed he could drive 220 grains at 3200+....not sure how..

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
The 340 Wby is a better round, end of story..

The 8mm mag is a good caliber, but done is done, I wouldn't bother with it, but that's another to each his own...

A 24" 340 Wby can be an awesome set-up if done correctly. I've been up and down the 338 ladder and as far as 24" guns are concerned the 340 is the max I want to go in 338s. Mine is around 7.5 lbs scoped and loaded.

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an 8 mag the first year they came out in the BDL. Nothing wrong with it or the loads really. I shot several moose with the factory corloks, found a pile of factory loads cheap from a shop that ordered them by mistake. They performed just like any other corlok, very well. Shot a few deer and one bear along the way. Used an 8X68 on eland on down in Namibia, same results as the 8 mag. To be honest, I doubt I could tell the difference on game between the 8 mag or the various 300 mags. That's why I finally sold it a few years ago.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
What does it do that even 8x60S, let alone 8x68, doesn't do in practicall terms with a 196 grain bullet in the real world and .338 Winchester Magnum with a 250 grain bullet? OK there's maybe a niche for a 227 grain bullet at 3xxx fps. But it's a very, very, very small niche. See it as an "alternative" or "American" 8x68, yes, I get that. Like .280 Remington to 7x64. But now these European cartridges are widely available neither really serve a purpose.

The 8x60S is a very good caliber but certainly not in the same class as the 8x68 or the 8mm Rem. I have an itch for 8mm rifles and have a few. From the 8x60S up I have an 8mm-06 and the 8mm-06 Ackley. They both best the 8x60S. The 8x68S is a big step up from that group adding approx. 200 fps to any bullet weight. I also have an 8mm-338 which has the very same capacity as the 8x68S, accepts the same loads and delivers the same velocities. The 8mm mag will best the 8x68 /8mm-338 by 75 to 100 fps with all bullet weights I've tried. All of these cartridges from the 8x60 up are very good killers. However you can't increase the velocity by 250 to 300 fps and not have a considerably flatter trajectory and more stopping power. There are trade offs, longer barrels, heavier rifles and the need for premium bullets. You also need the shooting ability to make use of that extra performance .

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote