New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt action .35 Whelen
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anybody still manufacture a .35 Whelen in bolt action? I've become interested in this caliber and would like to find one.
Thanks,
Punch

If you can't have fun when you go out, STAY HOME !

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few Custom Shops still Chamber for it.Your better off looking for,a Remington 700 classic or a 7600 pump.I built mine on a mauser 98.this is a great caliber,but tends to be overlooked.Good Luck 4t1m

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Options other than finding one would be to build one on a Mauser (maybe just send it to E.R.Shaw?), or to get a .35 Whelen barrel onto a Savage bolt-action in .30-06.

One day I just have to try a 110grJHP handgun bullet at max .35 Whelen velocity on a gallon jug of water......

Posts: 264 | Location: Grand Prairie, TX, USA | Registered: 17 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.gricewholesale.com Look in their specials and promotions box on homepage. $599.95

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Or just pick up a .30-06 of your choice & have it rebarreled. A bit more money, but you are more likely to get what you want.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington is currently chambering it again in
their model 700CDL bolt action, and I think also
in their pump (7600?).
Winchester has it listed in the custom shop, but
kind of pricey.
You can also find 'em on the gun auction websites for Remington, Ruger77, etc. Go to
GunBroker.com or AuctionArms.com

Posts: 60 | Location: SW Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Remington 700 classic (1988 I believe) can be found on auctionarms, gunbroker, and gunsamerica with some regularity.

I believe that Remington offered the Whelen in the stadnard BDL for s few model years during the 1990s, though I am not positive this is true, nor do I recall the exact years.

Ruger made some special runs in their 77 (with sights I believe) - also can be found sometimes on the sites listed above.

Quite a few custom barreled Mausers and Sprindfields out there as well.

The new Remington CDL is available in 35 Whelen currently I believe.

Finally, as some esle mentioned, you can have one made without too much hassle. Just find a decent stock and action, say a Winchester CRF in 30-06, and then fire it off to Shaw for a $300 barrel job.

Fine round.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would get it in anything other than the 700. And price wise you won't be out mroe and maybe even less. I got mine for free, but that was unusual and unless you have a real great stepfather don't count on that. But I have seen many mauser and springfields setup for it that were a great price.

Figure getting a good deal on a ruger or maybe an FN commercial mauser in 06, then rebarrel it with a good barrel of your choice. If you get the 700 you will need to replace the trigger for safety and maybe also replace the ejector with the Sako one.

check the sites, you'll find at least a dozen for sale at any one time.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or you could buy my rifle. Smiler

Selling one of my favorites: M70 Classic All-Terrain rebarrelled to .35 Whelen Improved w/Douglas barrel and integral brake (total barrel length is 25 inches with brake). Has Decellerator pad; weaver rings/bases; Leupold 1.5-5X. Receiver is stainless; barrel is black parkerized. Price as equipped, with P.O. Ackley die set and a bunch of brass, is $1,150. Will negotiate deducts for unwanted scope, dies, or brass. Email jwatkins@mtaonline.net

Here's a picture:
Whelen Impr M70

Smile...God loves you!

Posts: 575 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger -- right slick little piece of work. I recommend it. Just do a trigger job and add an extra-power firing pin spring and you'll be fine. Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or you could just buy a CZ 550 American in 9.3X62 and be done with it.

<9.3x62>
posted
The wheln and the 9.3x62 can co-exist quite nicely give that there are more lighter weight bullets for the 35 caliber. I've had both for years and wouldn't consider being without either...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked long and hard at the 9.3X62. I decided on the Whelen only because of "bullet selection".

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
looked long and hard at the 9.3X62. I decided on the Whelen only because of "bullet selection".

How many different bullets do you need? There's at least half a dozen different manufactures of .366 bullets, many making multiple bullet weights. This is not meant to be a slam, but I really don't understand the bullet selection argument.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Stu, how've you been?!

I think it might be that here in the US .366 bullets are not common place. Whereas even where I live I could generally find a 35 cal. bullet of some sort on shelf in town. Not that I buy bullets locally, but some people do and consider that.

I own a 35 Whelen, improved actually, but would like to have a CZ550 FS in 9.3 just so I could compare. Big Grin

Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
Red,
Been doing fine Smiler

Fair call on not being able to find .366 bullets in every local store.....
But anyone posting on this forum should be able to have them delivered to the door with less effort than walking to car.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is only one answer to the .35 Whelen vs. 9.3x62 debate: Own one of each!!! Both are very fine cartridges. More rifles = More fun.

-Bob F. Big Grin

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
More rifles = More fun.

-Bob F. Big Grin

That my kind of calculus... jump

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How many different bullets do you need? There's at least half a dozen different manufactures of .366 bullets, many making multiple bullet weights. This is not meant to be a slam, but I really don't understand the bullet selection argument.

Maybe I am missing something here.I have checked these web sites and this is what I have found: Nosler has 1 in 286gr, Sierra 0, Hornady 0, Speer 1 in 270gr. I guess I am looking in the wrong spot. Point me in the right direction, please. Load data would be nice as well. Talk me into it, I would love to own a 9.3 X 62.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe in Bloomington, MN is going to "manufacture" my .35 Whelen on a 03A3 action. I suggest you give him a call.

http://www.angelfire.com/mn3/jkobe/

Posts: 118 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:

Maybe I am missing something here.I have checked these web sites and this is what I have found: Nosler has 1 in 286gr, Sierra 0, Hornady 0, Speer 1 in 270gr. I guess I am looking in the wrong spot. Point me in the right direction, please. Load data would be nice as well. Talk me into it, I would love to own a 9.3 X 62.

Factory ammo by Lapua, Norma, RWS (I think), Nosler, S&B

Brass by Lapua, Norma, Graf, RWS, S&B...

Bullets by Nosler (250 and 286), Barnes (250 and 286, various styles), Speer (270), Lapua (270,285), A-square (285), Norma (232, 285), Swift (250,300 - A-frames), Woodleigh (250,285,320, various styles).

That's just off the top of my head. Anyway, the 250 Nosler BT will do everything up to elk, though big bulls I'd take the 250 A-frame or X-bullet. For heavier lifting the 286 Nosler PT or Barnes X is a fine choice; for heavier work still the 300 gr A-Frame. Solids can be found is various weights as well.

Not a lot below 232 grains, which is while I said earlier that the Whelen and 9.3x62 can co-exist very well as the former has more lighter choices but fewer heavier choices.

Convinced? Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Convinced?

Yep!!

One of Us
Picture of skid2964
posted Hide Post
Remington has one (if it hasn't already been mentioned)

http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700cdl.htm

Posts: 151 | Location: Brandon, Mississippi, USA | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

9.3x62 detailed a good list of components to start you off.

For online data try STEVE'S PAGES and of course on the AR main page

I think some of the powder companies have reloading data on the web sites as well. Try HODGDON etc.

<9.3x62>
posted
Here is some more info. I expect to see pics posted of your new 9.3x62 before too long... Big Grin

Data:

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/93x62.php

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=145 (scroll down)

http://www.accuratereloading.com/9362.html

current Nolser manual

current Barnes manual

current Speer manual

I have heard rumors that Hornady may be introducing a 9.3mm bullet or two in the near future. Also, GS custom makes bullets.

Info:

http://www.african-hunter.com/the_9_3_x_62_mauser.htm

http://www.reloadersnest.com/article_9362_oct2803.asp

http://www.bwanabob.us/allaround.htm

http://gsgroup.co.za/9362.html

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?magid=95&tocid=1379

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oddball,

when is jim starting on yours. what are you planning on having him do to it?

Red

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Dago Red,
Have you had problems with the Remington safety and extractor?? Curious for that is a serious thing to say that the safety is a problem?? Just curious?? Let us know what problems you may have experienced.
Thanks,
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dago Red,

Good to see another kobe fan out there. I really didn't think I was the only one. I brought him the action last week. He is fitting a 24" shilen barrel to my 03A3 action in .35 whelen then he will fit it to a stock. I do the stock finish myself. I ordered one from Elk Ridge last week. Then bead blast and send off to blue. The action I have has been a project for about a year. I got the action and bolt on gun broker and filled the rest from gunparts corp.

This is the 4th rebarrel project Jim has done for me. He did a .280 rem on a VZ-24 action(the deer slayer), Rebarreled a 03A3 into a 6.5-284 (that's a real tack driver), A charles Daly mark-X in .30-338 (still doing load development on that one). And now my .35 whelen.

I can hardly wait to get it but the stock will take a few months they say so what's the hurry.

Posts: 118 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of verhoositz
posted Hide Post
I am considering a 35 Whelen project and was looking at Midway's stuff yesterday and ma a little confused...whcih is too easy to do sometimes. Midway offers an A&B barrel for a Savage conversion in 1x14 twist and a Shilen in a 1x10 twist. Since I can buy a buddy's ragged out Savage 110 30/06 for the price of a jug of decent whiskey and would have to find another suitable candidate in a better platform if I was going to invest in a Shilen barrel -and may have found a used '06 CZ 550 American at a reasonable price...the question is...whats the pros & cons of the 1x14 versus the 1x10 twist in a 35 Whelen??
Ron

Posts: 260 | Location: On the Red River in North Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
14" is fine. Though some seem to think that they can't stablize 250gr and heavier bulelts with this twist. I've shot 280 A-frames out of 1-14" twist Whelens and they worked just fine. A 14" is about perfect, some rifle manufacturers even use a 16" (like Remington and Ruger I believe).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an A&B, 1 in 14" twist, barrel on my Whelen and it shoots 200, 225 and 250 gr bullets just fine.. Haven't tried anything heavier..but I suspicion the 280 gr A-Frames would work as well...

Zeeriverrat1

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
ZRR I remembered to check back. I don't know what twist is in my Remington 7600. It shoots the 280 gr WFN from Mt Baldy quite well. Easily minute of deer at 200 yd targets. 4" at worst if I remember correctly. 6" on my own two feet. I realize that reflects the shooter's ability. Age and surgeries have taken their toll on my hands and forearms. Guess I need to test those Hornady 275 gr RNs. I only have a limited supply. However, I might trade one of these three boxes of 50 175 gr RNs for 100 of the special run .358 150 gr Remingtons. (A fishing trip on the side here) Packy troll