Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser - amazing repeatability
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's the Prius of rifles.

And like Prius owners, they spend an awful lot of time trying to convince others that they made an intelligent purchasing choice... or maybe they are just trying to convince themselves.

Who really knows.

But what I really want to know is how do they perform underwater.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
It's the Prius of rifles.

And like Prius owners, they spend an awful lot of time trying to convince others that they made a intelligent purchasing choice... or maybe they are just trying to convince themselves.

Who really knows.

But what I really want to know is how do they perform underwater.

animal

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a big fan of the way a Blaser looks, but.... I have or have had a David Miller rifle, two Echols Legends, a Penrod, Goudy, Goens, several Hill Country rifles, and I love them all. But I find myself grabbing the Blaser more and more, almost exclusively now, particularly when traveling (which is often, since I hate sitting in whitetail stands). The takedown aspect, being significantly shorter, excellent safety, spectacular trigger, and unfailing, unfussy accuracy all make it a hard package to beat, despite not looking like a classic Jack O’Connor rifle. There many definitions of “an accurate rifle” (ie best group with a reloads, etc), but if one uses a definition of “let’s take 10 random factory loads, shoot them, and see which has the best average group”, I’d put my money on a Blaser. FWIW, I’ve never had a problem with a Blaser on my sheep hunts. I can not say the same about an expensive custom Model 70....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
THat has been my experience as well. Accuracy trumps everything else...

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a Blase exactly 2 times (2 shots)

I had to borrow a rifle since the President of Tajikistan didn't allow outside rifles at that point in time.

1 shot at a sticker on a box at 100 meters (yes meters) to verify zero and, several days later, 1 shot through a Marco Polo ram at about 250 meters.

I know they work great....for at least 2 shots.

That's all I can bring to the discussion.

I also have no idea what model it was but it was a 300 Win loaded with 165 or 168? grain TTSX Barnes. Worked like a champ!

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
No, no, no, gentlemen.

We must listen to someone who calls himself or herself “Opus1,” who states that he or she is from or located in “Occupying Little Minds Rent Free,” and who states that he or she has “lots of experience” with Blasers.

To wit, see the below observations and advice, summarized from his or her posts above:

—The takedown with full repeatability of POI feature is not the least bit useful.

—If one takes a cold bore shot on game while hunting, he has done something bizarre.

—Prohibitively expensive and difficult to manufacture and fit claw scope mounts are better than the comparatively inexpensive and simple and fully repeatable Blaser QD saddle scope mount.

—Unlike Mausers and Winchesters, which can be used without difficulty in dusty conditions, Blasers will seize up and won’t work in the presence of grit.

—Blasers are the “Prius of rifles” and in discussing their many virtues, their owners are simply trying to justify their bad bad decisions and poor taste.

I don’t know about you guys, but in the face of such flawless logic, I’m going to have to get rid of my Blasers right away.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
No, no, no, gentlemen.

We must listen to someone who calls himself or herself “Opus1,” who states that he or she is from or located in “Occupying Little Minds Rent Free,” and who states that he or she has “lots of experience” with Blasers.

To wit, see the below observations and advice, summarized from his or her posts above:

—The takedown with full repeatability of POI feature is not the least bit useful.

—If one takes a cold bore shot on game while hunting, he has done something bizarre.

—Prohibitively expensive and difficult to manufacture and fit claw scope mounts are better than the comparatively inexpensive and simple and fully repeatable Blaser QD saddle scope mount.

—Unlike Mausers and Winchesters, which can be used without difficulty in dusty conditions, Blasers will seize up and won’t work in the presence of grit.

—Blasers are the “Prius of rifles” and in discussing their many virtues, their owners are simply trying to justify their bad bad decisions and poor taste.

I don’t know about you guys, but in the face of such flawless logic, I’m going to have to get rid of my Blasers right away.

Don’t be in a hurry, Opus is our resident troll.

He has claimed to be a credited investor cause in his imaginary world of financial success he did not know the difference between accredited investor versus his self claimed credited investor.

He has claimed poverty in affording a metal sig and having to rely on unreliable plastic glocks as he hunts poachers in Africa.

He claims to own 9 hunting camps in Namibia but is so ashamed of it he is anonymous on AR with 20,000 plus posts. I still don’t get how someone can be in the hunting business with 9 hunting camps in Namibia and too embarrassed to post one of them on a hunting website.

He keeps sending me pm saying he will show his bank statements to Saeed or Don if I leave AR Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
What happened to the good old days when each of us managed to locate, buy, and shoot our own rifles and then hunt with them. If we liked, we kept them, if not, we tried another rifle.

I grew up shooting Winchesters and never had one that I needed or wanted to get rid of. Also never cared what brand others had or hunted with.

How did good old fashioned hunting degrade into rifle ego trips?

Frankly, I do not give a XXXX what others shoot if I am happy with what I shoot.

Right now, I have only one DR which makes me frown and it is scheduled to be re-regulated soon. Then it will be all smiles again! Cool

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
No, no, no, gentlemen.

He has claimed to be a credited investor cause in his imaginary world of financial success he did not know the difference between accredited investor versus his self claimed credited investor.

He has claimed poverty in affording a metal sig and having to rely on unreliable plastic glocks as he hunts poachers in Africa.

He claims to own 9 hunting camps in Namibia but is so ashamed of it he is anonymous on AR with 20,000 plus posts. I still don’t get how someone can be in the hunting business with 9 hunting camps in Namibia and too embarrassed to post one of them on a hunting website.

He keeps sending me pm saying he will show his bank statements to Saeed or Don if I leave AR Big Grin

Mike

Poor little Mike still trying to fit in. Nothing you expounded upon is true, but I am sure it makes you feel better about yourself for regurgitating it for the 500'th time. Serious, you need some new material my friend.

Glad you're all in love with your silly Blaser. I look forward to your next installment of I got this stupid firearm and ain't I'm a genius. Can't wait for you to grow up and learn a thing or two about firearms.

But seriously, impress us with the underwater thingy.

popcorn

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So much unrequited anger.

Ah well, you are truly a piece of opus, aren’t you? barf

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So much unrequited anger.

Ah, well. You are truly a piece of opus, aren’t you? barf

Still no one will have a hunt report at one of his 9 hunting camps on ar Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
No, no, no, gentlemen.

Mike

Poor little Mike still trying to fit in. Nothing you expounded upon is true, but I am sure it makes you feel better about yourself for regurgitating it for the 500'th time. Serious, you need some new material my friend.

Glad you're all in love with your silly Blaser. I look forward to your next installment of I got this stupid firearm and ain't I'm a genius. Can't wait for you to grow up and learn a thing or two about firearms.

But seriously, impress us with the underwater thingy.

popcorn

posted 12-04-19, 09:16
Mike anytime you’re man enough for me to prove you’re lying POS just let me know. I will happily send any documentation and/or pictures to Saeed for verification. If he determines that I am telling the truth, then he terminates your account on AR and prevents you from ever returning. If I can’t verify what I own and what I do in Namibia, then I am happy for him to terminate my account and I will never return.

So do you want to stop the childish bullshit and man up and accept reality, or do you want to continue acting like a childish cunt?

Consider this an open offer should you ever decide you have the balls to face your lies and reality.

BTW - I am flattered and a little amused that I haunt you so, but you should consider this, you have a huge social media footprint... I don't.

wave

Then I get these kind of emails claiming great financial success and other tales of bravado.

Same genius lectures us on Blaser and every other thing under the world.

He has never owned a blaser and probably never will. He has zero knowledge of anything about rifles.

How can one be in the hunting business and be ashamed to be honest and truthful on ar is beyond me.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a positive suggestion : -

You two children either shut up your petty bickering or clear off and do it somewhere else tu2

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Secondtry, it's all in fun trust me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Secondtry, it's all in fun trust me.

Some guys have a strange idea of fun...

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Wow. The good ribbing between the blaser vs no blaser guys sure went out of control. Healthy ribbing and joking is one thing, but we should respect a man (or wonman’s) firearm choice. I have looked at the Blaser’s because I really enjoy the break down ability for travel. I have found placing a double rifle, drilling or a Merkel K1/K3 in a hard case put inside a drop bottom duffle bag is a great way to travel.

For the Blaser owners: Do you travel with the case inside a drop bottom duffle or suitcase? I have swapped scopes between TC barrels and a Merkel K1/K3 barrels and (not always) have found them to be on target even though the calibers were different. Have you found that to ever be the case with Blaser barrels.?

Safe shooting.....Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
the Blaser is pretty damn cool. It's not my gun, but Germans make things very well.

German (Austrian) glass still wins.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Really sad to see such poor behaviour outside the Crater.

But .... not surprising when one looks at the protagonists.

I've never shot a Blazer, let alone owned one. But i am not going to condemn others who own, like and use them.

I love my two Mannlicher Schoenauers, One 110+ year old Mauser 9.3X62, My Sako, Tikka, Kimber and my VC 470NE.

My Tikka 222 Rem would put 5 shots into 0.5 inch most days. I even shot a 1.2 inch group at 200 meters once.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
Wow. The good ribbing between the blaser vs no blaser guys sure went out of control. Healthy ribbing and joking is one thing, but we should respect a man (or wonman’s) firearm choice. I have looked at the Blaser’s because I really enjoy the break down ability for travel. I have found placing a double rifle, drilling or a Merkel K1/K3 in a hard case put inside a drop bottom duffle bag is a great way to travel.

For the Blaser owners: Do you travel with the case inside a drop bottom duffle or suitcase? I have swapped scopes between TC barrels and a Merkel K1/K3 barrels and (not always) have found them to be on target even though the calibers were different. Have you found that to ever be the case with Blaser barrels.?

Safe shooting.....Larry

Mike gets very touchy about his beloved Blaser, which makes poking a little fun all that much more rewarding.

I've shot quite a few of them at the range and in Africa. They are certainly accurate out of the box but they are hardly Africa proof. A lot of our German clients carry them and I have seen problems with them in the field. I know of only one PH who carries a Blaser and that's only do because it was a client gift. I have never heard of a PH who uses one as a dangerous game backup firearm. If you've ever taken an action apart, you understand why.

So yes they are cute, yes they are accurate, and the concept of portability and barrel swapping is sound, but no I would never own one as I mostly have working rifles these days. I am only interested in something that can withstand Africa and does not require constant cleaning. So it's only a bolt gun for me.

But I can't wait for the next installment of - Look at the amazing things I can do with a Blaser discussion.

This one has been a hoot. tu2

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
What issues have you seen with them? What is “Africa proof”. In 24 years of military service where I spent most of my life in less than ideal conditions, I developed a habit of maintaining all my kit as my life depended on it. I really don’t understand people that abuse their kit, never maintain it and then say “it won’t hold up in Africa/Texas/mountains, the moon, the ocean, an arc light strike, bouncing around in the truck/UTV, etc. I may not have the international hunting experience many on here have but I believe during my military travels I experienced similar and often harsher conditions. Everywhere we have hunted internationally, the PH or guide always comments that they have never seen someone that at the end of the day, cleans kit and prepares for the next day prior to anything else. I guess “priorities of work” habits stayed with me.

Not picking or sharpshooting anyone, just curious as to the issues people have experienced first hand with Blasers. I have seen people on the range struggling with them because they had not practiced the straight pull and were trying to work it like a standard bolt gun. You can see that on various hunting videos as well. Quite amusing but nothing some time invested in practice could not cure.

The two things that have stopped me from buying a Blaser has been looks and I believe they are very pricy for what they are. But most people say that about my Rigby’s and double rifles. (Price, not the ugly Big Grin)

Curious to hear about any issues with Blasers.

Safe shooting and hopefully very soon,, safe travels.

Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Failure to lock due to debris in the action. When I say debris, I don't mean sticks and stones but fine Namibian grit that works its way into everything. An overly oiled action is simply a trap for this stuff and the Blaser locking ring collet-type bolt head thingy is prime for buildup and failure to lock into battery.

Not a problem at the range or if you pull your firearm out of its case for a shot and then back into the case. But carry one for 10 days in dusty conditions without cleaning and the cussing will begin. In addition, I have encountered one with a stripped barrel screw and another that must have had red Loctite or JB Weld on it so swapping barrels wasn't going to happen in the field. Again, not a huge deal, but takes away from the utility of the design.

Over the years, I have spent a few days with Rainer Schwarz and his staff at their hunting farm in Namibia. Their attitude is, it's a fine firearm and everyone knows to take extreme care of them. Around the campfire at night you hear a little bit of a different story, but whatever...

As I said there are of plenty of Europeans who absolutely love their Balsers and shoot extremely well with them. (FWIW - on average Europeans outshout their American counterparts). But for daily use in the field, I won't be carrying a Blaser any time soon. I began shooting almost 50 years ago with Mauser, Winchester and Remington in my blood so call me a bolt action fascist...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
sambarman: That is hilarious!!!

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Opus: If you go 10 days in dusty conditions without maintaining your firearm and kit, you should curse yourself. The fault is not in the firearm or kit unless you can show me in an owner’s manual where it states “no maintenance required...”

That’s right there with my brother in law screaming all ford’s are crap because he had problems with his explorer after going over 60,000 miles without ANY maintenance (unless you count turning up the radio and putting gas in the tank maintenance). By the way, he could outshout any European.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree if you get back after a long day in the field and dissemble, clean and reassemble you eliminate hopefully all of the reliability concerns with a Blaser. My advice is to keep them clean.

I routinely keep the muzzle covered with a piece of electrical tape and at the end of the day pull the bolt, wipe the lugs on my bolt guns and then find the ice for my scotch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rubbish.

I cannot imagine the degree of neglect, or stupidity, that would be required to disable a Blaser as described.

Utter nonsense.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spend some time in Namibia and then tell me that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stop digging.

I have spent several months hunting in Namibia, much of it while toting Blasers. Never had a problem of any kind.

For the others who are reading this thread, please understand that my only motive in responding to this person’s posts is to rebut his or her bizarre misinformation campaign.

This stream of utter nonsense, plus his or her insistence on anonymity, confirm to me that the poster is a fraud and a troll.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you like your Blaser. Please name all the professional hunters in Namibia or anywhere else in Africa that carry one as a dangerous game backup rifle. If you can find more than ten on the continent, please let me know; because according to Blaser owners they are the most deadly accurate and reliable firearm ever invented plus you can take them apart and put them back together again with just a torx driver. (You'll have to check me on the torx thingy an I am not totally sure on that.) tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I don't care who likes the Blaser.

If you do, great.

I don't.

I think they are abomination!

A stupid idea looking for a problem that did not exist.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Glad you like your Blaser. Please name all the professional hunters in Namibia or anywhere else in Africa that carry one as a dangerous game backup rifle. If you can find more than ten on the continent, please let me know; because according to Blaser owners they are the most deadly accurate and reliable firearm ever invented plus you can take them apart and put them back together again with just a torx driver. (You'll have to check me on the torx thingy an I am not totally sure on that.) tu2
donttroll lol

You with “lots of experience” with Blasers.

Who are you, big shot?

Stand up or shut up.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

If you do, great.

I don't.

That's pretty much the whole point.

Once we get past that, we can discuss their ridiculously ugly stocks... Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

If you do, great.

I don't.

The problem that does not exist is what Blaser critics are trying to find. Big Grin

Mike

posted Hide Post
FWIW,

I have two wood stocked Blaser R93 receivers, and one "off road" synthetic R93 receiver and barrels chambered for the 243 Win, 7mm-08, 300 WSM, 9.3 x 62, and 338 Win Mag, bolt-heads to match and QR saddle mounts for each barrel that return to zero each time I take them out of the case and mount them on the barrel. I like that!

Plus I've snagged a couple K-95's, but that's a horse of a different circumstance.

Being a poor boy, I only hunt the US, but learned early on.....

not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Sub-inch performance at 100 yds.

Wood is easy on the eye.

Bought right they are a value, IMHO

YMMV

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
sambarman: That is hilarious!!!

Thank you, SF,
PM me your address and I'll send you a copy of my book on scopes - got to keep the PO in business, you understand Wink

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote