New
Find
Notify
Tools

MkV weatherby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m looking at a used rifle, what’s it worth?

Weatherby mkv
Blued with black factory composite stock
Chambered in 300 wby
With Leupold VariX iii 3.5-10x in Leupold rings and one piece base
In 98% condition

What’s it worth.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had one, a Mk V deluxe, once chambered in 7mmWby, and to me it would be worth very little. I bought mine in like new condition for $400, but that was a couple decades ago. Don't get me wrong, they are a nice rifle but heavy and a bitch to get an accurate hand load. Considering what I ended up getting in trade value I was lucky I didn't have much invested in it.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dennis.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Prices vary by location so a Mark V with a synthetic stock could be six hundred to well over a thousand depending on which model it is. Try to find one like it on a gun trading sight.

Personally I've never had trouble getting any of my Weatherby's to shoot accurately.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably worth about $2100. I have a 300 Mark V deluxe German manufacture in 300 Weatherby magnum and it will shoot 180 grain Partitions using IMR 4831 with a Federal 215 primer in five shot groups of 1 inch or a little less at 100 yards. This is the first and only load I have ever used.

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the glass and it’s a used gun (98% or not) it’s worth $6-800.

You always need to be into it cheap enough you can unload it without a loss if it is not a shooter for you.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1016 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably worth about $2100.

Not for a regular synthetic.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Just to add a bit more...

If it has an injected molded stock and flat blueing it's likely a synthetic which goes for maybe $800+ in today's market. If it has a true synthetic layed up stock and shining blue metal it's likely a Fibermark. That adds at least a couple hundred more. These are prices for a bare rifle without scope or mounts.

While not a true lightweight rifle by today's standards they aren't that heavy either.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Mark V's are always expensive 2nd hand in a shop.

On the street they are dirt cheap.

If you can get $800 for it, I'd take it. That 20 year old scope is worth $100-200.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Please let us know when you are selling a Leupold 3.5-10 of any age for $100 to $200....

Posts: 2503 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I bought one about a year ago for $900 or so at my LGS where most new guns are at retail (no, I don’t buy those).

This has to be consignment/estate sale. It is “custom,” a term I use loosely, but many use it liberally. That being said, it was chambered for 7STW, muzzle break (I still haven’t messed with it enough to remove and try to find a thread protector, and has a custom mesquite stock. Yes, mesquite is heavier than walnut, but it’s damn beautiful and seems like it would be a great south Texas sendero gun. That being said, it shoots well, and I have a pile of STW ammo, and I really loved the figure in that stock. I really didn’t answer your question.

I haven’t been the biggest fan of Weatherby actions or cartridges. Take into account you’ll pay extra for the Wby designation on ammo, even if not Weatherby brand. If you like it and can get it for $800-1000 with the scope, why not?

I do think there are different countries where the MK V was made, which might affect value, but no clue.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
There are two or three companies that made rifles for Weatherby in the USA, Saco Armament of Maine was a very good one. There are some made in California, and the newest ones in Wyoming. I am talking about Mark Vs not the Vanguards which are all Howas.

There are also Japanese Weatherbys that are high quality, and German ones that are pretty tired made by Sauer.

Collectors prefer the Sauer or the original California ones, though I don't personally believe they are as good as the current run, the Jap ones or the ones made by Saco.

I think they were made a few places in California; Atascadero, Paso Robles and South Gate.

Maybe there are more than that. I can't find my copy of the Weatherby book.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I had plans for it.... 1,000-1,100 would be top dollar.

But I would sure open with an offer of around 800.00 Cash almost always talksSmiler

Posts: 53 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 29 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I have a Japanese Mark V I bought real cheap ($800) in 270 Weatherby. Really haven't bonded with it yet, gonna give it a try over the winter, if it works out I'll take it hunting next year.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As you can see, any gun is worth what you can get for it, this thread has it underpriced to beat hell, and over priced over the top..Depends on if your selling or buying...

I think $850 to $1000 would get you a pretty nice one. Id go on Guns Int. and sell it under Weatherby rifles, as there you get mostly those that are interested in Wby rifles..they pay more as a rule, so check out what they are asking first of all..The scope is worth at least $300 to $350..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote