Notify
Tools

Work Guns I've Known
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted
Work Guns I’ve Known…

I have owned and have used a diverse range of guns in my professions in the outdoors as a bush pilot and guide outfitter who specialized in coastal Grizzlies, Brown bears to our American friends. The guns range from a .375 H&H double rifle to a Glock. Those two actually mark the beginning and ends of the progression to date, without saying the Glock is the best yet by any means. Each excelled and was limited in different ways, and for fun, I wanted to detail them and reminisce a bit, in chronological order. I’ve owned and carried for work occasionally many, many guns not listed here, but these are the few that saw months of service at minimum, and the ones I liked years.

Merkel .375 H&H 140AE Double Rifle

The gun that pulls my heartstrings the most in memory. My Merkel double flew with me for scores of flight hours in the day job as a helicopter pilot in the north and outfitting being a handy takedown, as doubles naturally are. It pointed like a ten pound Red Rider BB gun, that is to say like lighting, and shot where I was looking even if I ignored the sights and fired both eyes open. I did some speed shooting with it knocking pairs of wood blocks about to practice target transitions, and it was the fastest gun I’ve owned, even over far lighter chamberings and semi automatics. Doubles rule the world of speed… for two rounds. They point like shotguns, and are extremely compact owing to zero action length. They’re also sealed to the elements; IF you trust the safety. The closest scrapes I’ve had with the big bears all happened with the Merkel for whatever reason too, and it was a great comfort on several occasions when an underhand tossed pebble would of landed behind the bear.

Pros:

-Very good stopping power and penetration

-Very quick handling and instinctive shooting

-No sharp edges or protrusions to snag gear

-Excellent iron sights

Cons:

-Weather sensitive, blued carbon steel

-Heavy enough to be a reliable boat anchor in an emergency

-Too expensive to leave unattended in boats or river camps that may flash flood etc

-I often carried it open with two in it, to have it safe yet ready, as I don’t trust tang safeties

The Merkel doing what it does best with an adversary, that at closest was eight yards from its muzzles; and that likely overestimates the range.

In its natural environment at the cabin.

Stoked for work.

Mossberg 12ga 590A1 14”

This gun was the first step towards carrying a Glock. I needed something cheap I could beat up, not worry about, and lighter. The compactness and weight were wonderful on a handy single point hands free sling, but I hated this gun. It was also far less reliable than others I’ve carried in that despite being mil spec and supposedly built for extreme use, it gummed up with wet sand and salt spray and jammed quicker than any other. Internals rusted sooner owing to the gaping ports, and were fragile, with semi exposed critical parts like the shell lifter. It wasn’t the workhorse I expected and I have little good to say about it honestly, I also found 12 gauge slug ballistics and stopping power to be lacking compared to a .375 H&H which has no more recoil than the slugs. Less in fact, due to the heavier guns the .375 H&Hs are. Sound like I hated this gun? I did.

Pros:

-Compact

-Cost effective

-Ammo versatility (flares, bangers, bird shot to fill the pot, etc)

Cons:

-Susceptible to the elements

-Weak internals (compared to Model 70s and Doubles)

-Inaccurate in comparison to rifles

-Inferior stopping power as compared to higher velocity rifles

590A1 with the track of a bear that left thirty seconds before. I was coming up river with one of my guides, and we found these tracks on the the bar and sand crumbles on a log where he’d stood to listen to our approach.

The gun I loved to hate. While skinning a Grizzling in the water at dark, the Mossberg took a bath. The source of some of my problems with it were not the gun’s fault, to be sure.

Boat rides and salt spray. Yea I wasn’t exactly fair to it.

Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless .375 H&H

A rifle that compromised between most factors I asked. Weatherproof, lighter, powerful, decent handling and pointing, and cheaper. I really like the Model 70, and still own one of this exact model, I gave my second to one of my former guides and shouldn’t have. I’ve owned this same somewhat rare Model 70 three times now, probably a good indication I should hang onto this last one. They aren’t perfect at anything, but in heavy Grizzly / Brown bear country in the salmon run are good enough at everything to be a dependable and trustworthy main gun and friend. They’re exactly what the Model 70 legend purports it to be; dependable, reliable, affordable. They’re a legend for a reason. Damn shame Winchester has killed this model.

Pros:

-Stopping power and penetration

-Weatherproof

-Cost effective

-Intuitive, solid safety and controls

Cons:

-Still heavy although lighter than the double

-Long overall length

-Poorer handling and speed than the double

-Mediocre factory iron sights

On the job with the Model 70 Stainless Classic .375 H&H.

Model 70 friend.

Made to work.

Glock 40 (Longslide 10mm)

Glockasaurus as I call it affectionately, is my soulless companion. It weighs nothing, is slim, and is always there. I needed a hands free, lightweight solution as I’m flying bushplanes, running river jet boats, and packing mountain goats down and need to shed pounds. The Glock offers the lightest and most compact, and most hands free solution, and begrudgingly I’ve come to love it. Utterly weatherproof, light enough to forget it is there, and safe to carry ready it has become an unexpected friend. There isn’t much to say here as there’s nothing to wax eloquently on about with it, it’s just a damn fine tool.

Pros:

-Lightest option

-Smallest option

-Hands free, I never put it down

-Affordable

Cons:

-Weak stopping power in comparison to rifles

Thanks for reading, each gun has its place and I’m always trying to find the best. The best, would be the Glock complimenting a stainless double rifle I can afford to lose. That doesn’t exist… Butch Searcy offered to make me a stainless .375 double at a very fair price, and I’m sorely tempted. Will be fun to see where that thought goes.

Will add further thoughts on some ultimate work gun builds, one that didn’t satisfy despite no expense spared.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, the dream that didn’t take, had Stuart Satterlee make me a full Titanium Mauser, bolt Ti too, and chambered it in .375 2 1/4”. After all that I had a double rifle priced Mauser that never fit right, and I couldn’t justify the reduction in power over my Model 70 .375 H&H. The H&H ammo is everywhere in my gear, the Model 70 was affordable enough to use hard and not worry about losing, and more powerful.

The Model 70 Stainless .375 H&H killed my Titanium Mauser project, to summarize. I do really want a stainless double rifle however.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tip for all folks who post photos: Reduce your photos to 1040 pixels wide before posting so that they will fit the page. It's impossible to see extra large photos.

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fixed! My apologies for the picture explosion there, see what you mean and appreciate the pointer.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing those Angus, having spend the past 40 year searching and building "perfect Alaskan bear rifles" I appreciated seeing yours.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4193 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir!!

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Butch Searcy offered to make me a stainless .375 double at a very fair price, and I’m sorely tempted

With syt stock and fore end I would hope.

Ruger sty/stainless guide guns in 375 or 416 Ruger would seem to fit the bill for great durable fairly inexpensive powerful enough rifles.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Thanks for sharing those Angus, having spend the past 40 year searching and building "perfect Alaskan bear rifles" I appreciated seeing yours.

Thanks Phil! Hey, your thoughts on bear rifles have been taken close to heart over the years, often think of building a SS Model 70 .458. Will probably just shorten and lighten up my .375 discussed above, as I’m so invested in .375s and components therefor.

quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
Thank you sir!!

Thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Butch Searcy offered to make me a stainless .375 double at a very fair price, and I’m sorely tempted

With syt stock and fore end I would hope.

Ruger sty/stainless guide guns in 375 or 416 Ruger would seem to fit the bill for great durable fairly inexpensive powerful enough rifles.

Actually would probably go with nice walnut, I’d just seal it. I make stocks and used several of my own here for hunting not guiding, I soak them in tung oil overnight before finishing. It penetrates way into the wood and although it adds weight and takes about $100 of tung oil, it’s weather impervious after that. There are no forend pressure issues from stock warping with a double so POI never changed wet or dry with my Merkel for instance, even untreated as above. The Rugers are neat little guns, I’m just very much an H&H guy and invested too heavily in it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great topic and fabulous photos. Thank you.

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like this sort of post, its a change of pace, Your post is interesting and show a lot of interesting issues...

I also have been in the hunting business for many years and been through about every make, model and caliber of gun there is, mostly in AFrica and North America, very little experience in Canada and Alaska, but some..At near 84 Id have to write a book, but not so inclined..You might keep notes and consider that at some time down the road..I will expect a free copy for planting the seed as you seem to have that ability... Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You’ve got it Ray! I’ll owe ya at least 75 cents, a quarter for each book my children are forced to buy. beer

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Great thread and some very nice guns! tu2

Going though the process to carry a handgun isn't easy where you live and takes some determination.

Darn shame the BC government ended grizzly hunting. Hopefully the come to their senses someday. cuckoo

PS: Nice plane too!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Darn shame the BC government ended grizzly hunting. Hopefully the come to their senses someday

The only thing harder then getting a law passed is getting the law repealed.

Took Ont. over 20 years to get a spring black bear hunt back and then only on a limited basics.

When city people are involved in wildlife law it never turns out good.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
True that one. Great photos and advice Angus. tu2 Man, one of those pics had me pining for Steelhead fishing in B.C. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Definitely one of the better posts I've seen in a while. tu2

Lee

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:

Going though the process to carry a handgun isn't easy where you live and takes some determination.

Darn shame the BC government ended grizzly hunting. Hopefully the come to their senses someday. cuckoo

Thank you! The Wilga is a lot of fun on floats, 300hp and works well off the alpine lakes. The Authorizaiton To Carry (ATC) isn’t too bad if you’re in an approved profession, fortunately bush pilots and outfitters are.

quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Darn shame the BC government ended grizzly hunting. Hopefully the come to their senses someday

The only thing harder then getting a law passed is getting the law repealed.

Took Ont. over 20 years to get a spring black bear hunt back and then only on a limited basics.

When city people are involved in wildlife law it never turns out good.

Truth there on legislation. One precedent is B.C. banned it once before, always political not a population concern, and brought it back before. This said as times change that becomes less and less likely, the political mood certainly isn’t pro-hunting. I just take it all as life experience and get the most I can out of it while making enough to support my family. I see that as getting paid twice.

quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
True that one. Great photos and advice Angus. tu2 Man, one of those pics had me pining for Steelhead fishing in B.C. Big Grin

Hey, don’t open that can of worms or we’ll never stop yapping! Work in the utter heart of steelhead country, the Mecca. Enjoy fishing more than hunting, sometimes.

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Baumgart:
Definitely one of the better posts I've seen in a while. tu2

Lee

Thank you Lee, appreciate the kind words.

One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
Great post!

The 375H&H is of course the best ever.

I'm still not over that bear.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 900 SS:
Great post!

The 375H&H is of course the best ever.

I'm still not over that bear.

We fully agree both counts beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had to give anyone advise on DG, it would be leave the shotgun at home, take a 375 or larger with you,leave the sticks at home and learn to shoot off hand. So few these days are comfortable shooting off hand. Easy to learn with just a little practice and the desire.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
If I had to give anyone advise on DG, it would be leave the shotgun at home, take a 375 or larger with you,leave the sticks at home and learn to shoot off hand. So few these days are comfortable shooting off hand. Easy to learn with just a little practice and the desire.

Offhand practice galore indeed I agree. Me shooting the .375, .450 Rigby, .470 Nitro, and .505 Gibbs a few years ago offhand on transitioning targets. Good practice and fun, the case of the camera was sealed and waterproof so muffled the sound a good bit, but you get the picture.

https://youtu.be/whONoc09xF0

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, don’t open that can of worms or we’ll never stop yapping! Work in the utter heart of steelhead country, the Mecca. Enjoy fishing more than hunting, sometimes

My "other" true passion! Yes BC is definitely the best place for steelhead. tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fewer people have caught true 30lb steelhead likely than have shot 50" buffalo. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not a german double in 9,3x74R? Nearly the same power, but with the rim better for a double!
Used you can get for +- 2500€ with scope.
Or take the Blaser S2, not a nice gun, but perfect troubleless shooting,nearly rustless and not too expensive!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Excellent post. That picture of the river with the Model 70 is something. I'd love to experience something as gorgeous as that.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 603 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
My "other" true passion! Yes BC is definitely the best place for steelhead.

+2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monastery-Forester:
Why not a german double in 9,3x74R? Nearly the same power, but with the rim better for a double!
Used you can get for +- 2500€ with scope.
Or take the Blaser S2, not a nice gun, but perfect troubleless shooting,nearly rustless and not too expensive!

Just not a 9.3 guy, I like .375s loaded fast, presently load the 235gr CEB Raptor at 3,000fps. Things get a good bit slower with the 9.3x74R. I do like the prices and weight, my next work double will be the stainless Searcy or a nitrided Krieghoff, an idea raised by a member here on the latter. I like the K gun cocking safety feature, could carry the gun closed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:

Yes great plane but when are you going to upgrade and make it a great plane ???
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqhI4MeCn1c&t=945s
Dam NDP -Leaf government we have here in wonderful BC

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqhI4MeCn1c&t=945s

Neat machine, but unfortunately that engine would render ours a toy for our purposes. Flown the PT6 engine a good deal in larger aircraft, and the fuel burn means we’d have an hour and forty five minutes endurance versus the seven hours we get with the 300 horse Lycomming. We’re too far out and remote to burn any more fuel than we already do Eeker Can’t imagine staging enough fuel caches to operate a turbine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful post Angus. Love your photos, especially the one of the M70 on the river with sun rays breaking through, absolutely spectacular!

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question for Angus. Does the 10mm have a following for bear protection in Alaska ? If so, do you know of people actually stopping a brown bear with it ? Any stories. You can pass on of its effectiveness ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m actually in British Columbia, we’re Canada’s coastal Alaskan neighbour. I’m a hundred miles from the Alaska border so potato potato.

On the 10mm, small following but growing. The weight and slimness, ready without a safety like a revolver, are the high points. Never had to use it on a bear in anger, nor do I know anyone personally who has. But it penetrates like all getup at a hot 200grs, and will be the edge of appropriate in handgun terms. It’s essentially a .357 level energy proposition, and could be well compared to that for effectiveness.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Dean:
Wonderful post Angus. Love your photos, especially the one of the M70 on the river with sun rays breaking through, absolutely spectacular!

Thank you! It’s not a bad “office”.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I search internet and found an article about a guy stopping a brown bear charge in Alaska with. Glock 20. Other than that it seems stories heard rather than verified. Always interested in practical knowledge of stopping power.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a great post. I love the photos. What'd you end up doing with the Satterlee? What kind of ballistics did you get out of it? Loads?

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope I never have to stop any DG with a pistol in any caliber, best advise is save the last shot for yourself!! Eeker IMO only a head shot that will penetrate is the only hope, and that may be hard to make..Ive shot and seen shot a lot of deer with various pistols, seen a few folks shot with various pistols during a stint in Mexico..Never was really impressed with the 9mm, 357, 41 mag and 44 mag..I think I would chose the 44 mag in a 4" 44 mag loaded with hot 250 gr. Keith simi wadcutters as fast as I could push them..Just my thinking based on no bear shooting with a pistol, so guess and by gosh is my ruler...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it sounds like someone needs to discover Lever guns.
the 348 Winchester, 45-70, 450 marlin.
they all come in light weight easy to manage packages that are fast handling, shoot instinctively, are effective to open sight distances, are closed to the weather, and they hold more than 2 bangs.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayman216:
Question for Angus. Does the 10mm have a following for bear protection in Alaska ? If so, do you know of people actually stopping a brown bear with it ? Any stories. You can pass on of its effectiveness ?

Here is a 10mm save.

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2...mm-bear-defense.html

Another one just happen in NM with a black bear the story should be out shortly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope I never have to stop any DG with a pistol in any caliber, best advise is save the last shot for yourself!! IMO only a head shot that will penetrate is the only hope

Actual Ray pistols are very effective against bears in a self defense situation.

Saving the last round for one self is just more old wife's tale BS.

Here are 37 handgun saves another three or more have happen since this was written.

https://gunwatch.blogspot.com/...h-pistols-97_25.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
that was my attempt at humor, other than I wouldn't want to stop a bear with a pistol given my druthers, Id prefer a 30-30 to a 44 magnum as to killing effect, but I would prefer a pistol to nada! on a sunday stroll..On the other hand why be in bear country without a handy rifle?

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120