New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worth customizing a ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a left handed ruger 300 win mag. My gunsmith sighted the gun in for me a while back and said it was accurate.

I broke the stock before I ever go to use the gun.

Over time I got a McMillan stock and I really like the stock and gun.

The gun however shoots like a 2-2.5 inch group. It’s okay for hunting.

What would one do to get better accuracy. Replace the barrel ? Replace the trigger?

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it was mine I would bed it first and free float. If a rifle is well bedded and free floated and won't shoot then there are problems which could be barrel or scopes/mounts both.

Some will say if it does not shoot when correctly bedded and floated then the barrel needs forend tip pressure. If they won't shoot floated but do OK with tip pressure than is because the barrel is not up to the mark. If bedding is not correct then rifles can also shoot better with tip pressure.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right, because all Ruger 77s are made with upward pressure at the fore end tip. Ruger barrels until about 1990 were Wilsons, the bottom of the barrel, so to speak. So, to get them to shoot 2.5 inch groups they need to have pressure; free floating won't work.
So, do what you are trying and then if it won't shoot, you need a new barrel.
New Ruger hammer forged barrels and uniformly good.

Posts: 17017 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Right, because all Ruger 77s are made with upward pressure at the fore end tip. Ruger barrels until about 1990 were Wilsons, the bottom of the barrel, so to speak. So, to get them to shoot 2.5 inch groups they need to have pressure; free floating won't work.

This is a new ruger barrel. This is the last of the left handed m77 rifles.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

This is a new ruger barrel. This is the last of the left handed m77 rifles.

Mike

Bed and float and see what happens from there.

Even those stocks with aluminium bedding block need bedding. Yes. I know someone will post how there is great. A case of luck, how you test for accuracy and how many rifles have been tested etc. If the stocks were made by God then same deal as no two actions are quite the same.

Bed and float and see what happens from there.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Try this shoot it at lest 10 or 15 times do not clean it ! I had a Ruger No.1 270 Weath. Mag and it took 9 shot to foul the barrel I then got 1/2 groups.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 10 November 2020 06:00 Hide Post

Interesting

I have glass bedded and free floated 10 or 12 Ruger M77 or MKII's rifles.

They have all shot better then before.

If one can not get this one to shoot replace the barrel as one is replacing the stock glass bed it and free float it.

Posts: 19304 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Have you tried different ammo?

If I recall correctly, you do not reload.

If you haven't tried a couple of different brands of ammo, I would go invest in couple of different brands.

Also, what is your bench set up. Front and rear rest. Factory rifles these days are for the most part exceptionally good.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10042 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
short answer, is yes, they are -
there's 4 major versions
mk77v/ tang safety
round top
square bridge

mk77
semi push feed bolt face
crf

i have customized them all .. and built all of the AccRel carts on them, as well

make certain that the scope and the action are properly mounted ...

want to try a pressure point? you can usually slide a business card, perhaps folded once, about 2" into the stock, for barrel pressure, as a test

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38355 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Have you tried different ammo?

If I recall correctly, you do not reload.

If you haven't tried a couple of different brands of ammo, I would go invest in couple of different brands.

Also, what is your bench set up. Front and rear rest. Factory rifles these days are for the most part exceptionally good.

I don’t reload but I have a lot of assorted factory 300 win mag ammo.

I am going to do shoot a bunch of different ammo and see if the rifle like anything.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

You might also play with the action screw tension. Sometimes you can bind the action and it'll show up in bad groups. I've got a Model 70 and it shoots lights-out if I leave the middle screw loose, but as soon as I tighten it they grow. For the Ruger, IIRC I think you want to tighten down the middle one really tight, front also pretty tight, and rear just firm as a starting point.

Posts: 1716 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
Mike,

You might also play with the action screw tension. Sometimes you can bind the action and it'll show up in bad groups. I've got a Model 70 and it shoots lights-out if I leave the middle screw loose, but as soon as I tighten it they grow. For the Ruger, IIRC I think you want to tighten down the middle one really tight, front also pretty tight, and rear just firm as a starting point.

As mentioned above check the action screws. You DO NOT want to tighten the
middle screw down tight. The front action screw needs to be tight.
The back action screw needs to be snug and the middle action screw just tight enough to no back out.
I think Rugsr actually calls for the fromt action screw to be 95 inch pounds.
I have seen plenty go from 2.5-3 in groups to 1in or less. That front action screw being tight will make a difference. I have never went over 75in pounds. I also change all the action screw to torque heads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think i have some mew torques head action screws if you need them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the range.

I think the gun is just finicky on the ammo.

I picked up some sig ht spike copper 165 gt factory ammo and gun shot .80.

I am going to pick up the other 2 boxes at the local pawn shop.

Will hunt with this rifle next year.

Thanks for all the info.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like this rifle

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I picked up some sig ht spike copper 165 gt factory ammo and gun shot .80

A .80 rifle will kill game out past ranges where most want to shoot.

Posts: 19304 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like this rifle

Mike

You lost any high ground on dissing my 416Rigby with claiming to like that rifle.

clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
I like this rifle

Mike

You lost any high ground on dissing my 416Rigby with claiming to like that rifle.

clap

My rifle is an beautiful McMillan stocked rifle. Only lacking in bolt handle needs to be Cerekoted.

Your’s is Rosie ODonnell of guns dancing

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
May not be a relevant comparison but I have an older M77 tang safety, wood stock. I had it full length glass bedded because I was hunting wet environments. Absolute tack driver with plain/inexpensive Remington Corelokts 180 grain. Killed an elk at 400 yds DRT.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To claim that free floating is a cure all it just flat out wrong, its just one of three methods, Tight all the way, 3 point bedding, and free floating..Since one does not know which will work best its a good idea to start with tight all the way from the tang to the forend. shoot it for group at each positition, if good then stop, if not good then 3 point it with solid at the tang, recoil lug, and upward pressure on the forend and lastly free floot the barrel, leave it tight the first 3 inches and floot the rest...
By going in this order you don't create a damn mess of the bedding in that you can take wood out but you can't put it back, you can glass but done backwards you end up with a glass gap/bead in the barrel channal..

Over the years Ive seen a tendency that 3 point bedding seems to work best on fwt barrels I said tendency not set in stone, some exceptions;

big bores seem to like being tight all the way, but not all as some like to be free floated, but free floating with a big gap on both sides of the barrel channal is a dirt trap, enlet the sides/edges just enough to allow smoke to pass, the undercut to freefloat..

Ive seen more piss pore free floating than any other butcher work, done properly you can't tell its free by looking a big gap allows water and moisture, dirt and scum to gather...

Just my opinnion,to each his own however.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone really know what they’re talking about? Ruger can be difficult. Just be difficult with them or sell them to a fool like me.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i made a ruger 77 in 7x57 one day used a douglas barrel and a nice piece of aa turkish walnut. put in an aluminum bedding block did a trigger jub and honed the action then took the dogleg out of the bolt turn3d out pre3tty decent ane shot well so i dotno i like it but was it worth it who knows but that is the same with any custom rifle

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 77 is a good strong action and well worth customizing..I bought a Remmer custom, in 7x57 and its a great custom rifle in nice wood, fine checkering. I intended to just sell it as I got it right...Test fired it and kept it as my favorite rifle, it must be because Ive never consider selliing and had a number of offers..I tend to sell any gun at a profit, but this one is a survivor..

I don't consider plastic stocked guns and stainless steel guns of any kind to be custom guns..Custom guns to me are wood stocked and old world rust blue with fine checkering and thats just for starters..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41746 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for what it's worth, my boat paddle MKII in .300 win has shot under an inch and a half at 200yds with bullets it likes (180gr pro hunter) many times over the last couple years. Better at 200 then 100. Partitions opened up to 3-4" at 200yds. I bought a bunch of pro hunters and just keep loading them, never tried to find something else.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the M77 Mrk.II is a good rifle - I own a left handed M77 Mrk.II and like it. I have seen one or two full on custom rifles on M77 Mrk. II actions. Pretty rare.

My beefs with the M77 are:

- the 2 piece TG and floor plate assembly
- the bolt handle is UGLY
- would be much better with a M70 type shroud and safety. The M77 safety is fairly good, but a poor copy of the Win M70 safety.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Ruger boat paddle guns in 300 and 338 Win, but wouldn't consider them "custom" by any means, what they are is a damn fine Alaskan Bear gun IMO..Toughest stock Ive ever seen..Had a couple of them over the years, Idaho can be a good place for a SS and plastic gun late season..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope the ammunition change is all you needed.
I have a Mark II, 338 Winchester, which I was never happy with the factory load groups. Until I tried the old Federal Premium with the 225 TSX. This is now my favorite 338, a minor miracle in tightening the groups.

As to worth customizing/modifying a Ruger, I guess that is strictly a personal thing. Somehow the Ruger rifles have become my most used. Most of mine now have fiberglass stocks, most have had trigger swaps. And an occasional barrel swap for a different caliber or longer length. Money wise, I would never recoup what I have in them, but personal pleasure wise I already have.

The stainless Mark II’s and Hawkeye’s suit my needs very well. The “prettiness” is subjective. Sometimes they need a little tweaking to smooth out. But I have had issues with more expensive rifles also.
The factory short barrel Alaskan 375 and 416’s still amaze me as to their groups with TSX hand-loads.

———————————————————————————————————————
quote:
At the range.

I think the gun is just finicky on the ammo.

I picked up some sig ht spike copper 165 gt factory ammo and gun shot .80.

I am going to pick up the other 2 boxes at the local pawn shop.

Will hunt with this rifle next year.

Thanks for all the info.

Mike

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've fitted 7 or 8 Wilson barrels in the last couple of years. They have all shot extremely well.

I have no issues with Wilson's barrels.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glass bedding the action and free floating the barrel will help if done properly. I have had five M77s glass bedded and free floated but the middle screw is the key. Back this screw off and then just snug it down.

Ruger states the front screw should be set at 90 inch/pounds but this is way to tight. I tighten the front screw to 50 inch/pounds, the back screw to 30 inch/pounds and just snug the middle screw down. All of these stocks were factory stocks and would shoot five shots into at least 3/4 inch at 100 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, I had the barrel of my Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 358 Win free floated by my gunsmith. When I took the rifle to him, I told him I was having problems with consistency in accuracy and I had tried several bullets. After working on the rifle, he said that the action bedding on the rifle looked good and just cleaned it up, and free-floated the barrel. Whatever he did, the rifle now shoots the two bullets I'm using (225 gr. Nosler Partitions and Sierra Game Kings) with much better accuracy...especially the Sierra Game Kings. If I recall, he did say to keep an eye on the action screws and make sure they remain tight.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dutchess:
Try this shoot it at lest 10 or 15 times do not clean it ! I had a Ruger No.1 270 Weath. Mag and it took 9 shot to foul the barrel I then got 1/2 groups.

My left handed SS 7 Mag Ruger takes about 20 rounds through it before it goes from 2+ inch groups down to 1/2" groups.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I've fitted 7 or 8 Wilson barrels in the last couple of years. They have all shot extremely well. I have no issues with Wilson's barrels.

Me neither. I have two custom Contender Wilson barrels - both shoot sub-moa, one sub-3/4 moa. Not sure where the anti-Wilson diatribe comes from....perhaps he hasn’t tried Douglas tubes yet.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I’d not spend a lot of time and money accurizing a Ruger. Been there several times, on #1s and 77s.
You may get it under 2” and in acceptable hunting accuracy for sub 250 yard shots, but getting it highly accurate, never happened for me.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Morning Beretta 682E,

Since you've solicited advice, I'll offer it. Never throw god money after bad. I'd sell your Ruger and buy a Sako, A stock, out-of-the-box Sako will shoot more accurately and reliably that custom made rifles costing thousands more.

I have experience with only the Sako AV rifles. My two stock Sako AV rifles will print .25 MOA. My opinion, which is shared by many Sako aficionados, is the AV action is the best rifle action ever manufactured, which, by no means, was intended to slight the Mauser 98. The Sako 85 is guaranteed 5 shot MOA using factory ammo. I know of no other similar guarantee. Springfield Armory's brand new 2020 bolt action comes with a .75 3-shot MOA. At $1700, it's a lot of rifle at a reasonable price.

This is merely my opinion: the Sako AV is the greatest factory produced rifle ever made. I've owned and sold a USA made Winchester CRF. It was a decent rifle but not close to the quality of Sako. I had a friend who owned two USA made Winchester Super Grades. Within a couple years he sold both.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen a lot of Rugers that shot pin holes, some of the older barrels before the change had some barrel problems. Rugers new barrels shoot as good as any barrel, I have two 77s and two #1s, they all shoot under and inch..Put your money up, and we'll shoot if you get down to southern Idaho..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of ruger 77 rifles mostly 338 win mag and 264 win mag both stainless mark II and thumb safety models . They are very picky on what bulkets they like . They love Winchester power points and lapua bullets seated deep and will shoot clover leaf groups .My stainless 338 win mag shot 3/4 inch with a 225 grain at 200 yards .I tried hornady and nosler bullets they shot 6 inch patterns at 100 yards 6.Its the throat in them that's the problem it's for factory ammo and very hard to reload for .I have not found many bullets that shoot good but when you do buy a bunch .My 338 shoot clover leafs at 100 yards with the right factory loads and spray premium hamdloads all over the place . You could have it rethroated .

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I throat it if that was a problem iwth one of mine, but mine shoot too good to prank with, and the shoot all my loads to the same POI. All are welcomed to come over to the casa and we;ll shoot them. I have short range at the house and about two miles down the road we can shoot to to the city limits of Reno Nv and on..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger actions need bedding in the recoil lug, the front screw will loosen then it acts as a slide hammer to prevent the stock from splitting. Ruger 77 needs a little fussing to get them to shoot their best.

Have an LH FTW 6.5 Creedmoor that had an out of round chamber Ruger put a new barrel and bolt on it. Ruger is quite good at correcting any mistakes.
I don't like the double clunk on bolt opening and have one that is quite smooth, owned over a dozen LH Ruger 77,s MK2, and Hawkeyes. Have a custom
LH 35 Whelen is one of my favorites have 2 LH 77,s with reworked Pacific Research, Borden RH stocks to LH.

kk alaska

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger technical dept recommends 95 inch pounds on the front screw, hand tight(just snug)on the middle screw, and 45 inch pounds on the rear screw. 5 lbs upward pressure at the forend.

Posts: 3647 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote