THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Trade Sako 300 win mag for Steyr 300 win mag?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trade Sako 300 win mag for Steyr 300 win mag?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted
I've got an opportunity to trade my Sako Stainless Synthetic for a Steyr Pro Hunter Stainless Synthetic, both in 300 win mag. The Sako is great and I've got it broken in and shooting 200 grains Barnes Triple Shocks into an inch at 100. Don't particularly like the stock but the action and barrel is excellent. Have a buddy that wants it bad and I've always had a wish for a Steyr. Make some pocket money too.

Does anyone have any experience with Steyr? It is an order gun and not available on the shelf to look at. Any problems, how's accuracy, and is the magazine long enough to seat bullets out close to the lands, etc.

Input?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woods

Can't help you much with magazine length but I have a friend who has a Steyr in 6.5x55 and its an absolute tack driver - he uses it in some bench rest competitions and absolutely loves it.

I do remember reading some where that the tang safety is a little unusual in its operation until you get used to it but very effective.

Personally I would check out that safety and if your happy, would not hesitate. Smiler

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a steyr scout with a 19 barrel in 376. Love it! Very smooth action. Shoots hornady factory ammo into an inch at 100 yds. I haven't started loading for it though. As for the safety it is a three position safety (functions like a model 70) fire, safe, and safe + bolt locked. It is a top tang that you roll with your thumb. Sounds complicated, but really no big deal, certainly not a bad thing. It is easy to use.

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woods,

I own 3 Steyr’s SBS Prohunter mountain rifles chambered in .308 – .270 - .3006. Engineering, accuracy and quality are second to none. I am very pleased, the all work flawless, as an out of the box product, hard to beat.

Success,
Roland